RegisterDonateLogin

Discover an incredible smell.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Pieces that did well at the GenCon 2010 champs Options
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 4:01:44 PM
Groups: Member

I really like the 2010 GenCon results - you can find the spreadsheet on swmgamers. It's the champs after the last WOTC set was released, but before the v-sets.

I'm just putting this thread here so I can point to it on some of the discussion in Character Comments. These are all the pieces that featured in squads that had at least an even record in the GenCon 2010 Champs. There were 55 players, and 33 at least broke even. There are some slightly oddball squads in there - I wasn't expecting Clone Strike Yoda or Saesee Tiin, Jedi Master to show up, but they're both in this squad.
55 Yoda
46 Saesee Tiin, Jedi Master
33 Captain Rex
8 Mas Amedda
18 Jar Jar Binks
23 Jarael
5 Rodian Diplomat
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist

There are also a few Lobot reinforcements like the Treadwell Droid and Gamorrean Bodyguard that would have seen play, but weren't in any mainline squads. I assume Garm Bel Iblis was there to access the Ithorian Commander as well.

But anyway, these are the 75 pieces that were part of squads that had a least a 2-2 or 3-3 record at the GenCon Champs 2010.
Admiral Ozzel
Admiral Yularen
Anakin Solo
Battle Droid Officer
Boba Fett, Mercenary Commander
Bothan Noble
Caamasi Noble
Captain Argyus
Captain Panaka
Captain Rex
Chewbacca, Rebel Hero
Darth Sidious
Dash Rendar, Renegade Smuggler
Elite Rebel Commando
Ferus Olin
Ganner Rhysode
Garm Bel Iblis
General Crix Madine
General Dodonna
General Grievous, Droid Army Commander
General Obi-Wan Kenobi
General Rieekan
General Skywalker
General Wedge Antilles
General Whorm Loathsom
Gha Nachkt
Gran Raider
Han Solo on Tauntaun
Han Solo, Galactic Hero
Han Solo, Smuggler
Human Bodyguard
IG Lancer Droid
IG-86 Assassin Droid
Imperial Dignitary
Jagged Fel
Jar Jar Binks
Jarael
Jedi Weapon Master
Juno Eclipse
Kyle Katarn, Jedi Battlemaster
Kyp Durron
Lobot
Lord Vader
Luke Skywalker and Yoda
Luke Skywalker, Hoth Pilot Unleashed
Luke Skywalker, Rebel Commando
Luke's Landspeeder
Mandalorian Captain
Mandalorian Gunslinger
Mandalorian Quartermaster
Mandalorian Scout
Mara Jade, Jedi
Mas Amedda
Mon Mothma
Mouse Droid
Naboo Soldier
Obi-Wan, Jedi Spirit
Plo Koon, Jedi Master
Princess Leia
Queen Amidala
R2-D2 Astromech Droid
R7 Astromech Droid
Rodian Brute
Rodian Diplomat
Saesee Tiin, Jedi Master
San Hill
Senate Commando
The Dark Woman
Thrawn (Mith'raw'nuruodo)
Twi'lek Black Sun Vigo
Ugnaught Demolitionist
Vader's Apprentice Redeemed
Yoda
Yoda on Kybuck
Yuuzhan Vong Ossus Guardian
Naarkon
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 4:04:39 PM

Poor Yuuzhan Vong. Looks like they only got in in NR squads...unless someone ran a squad with only Ossus Guardians and did that well.
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 4:06:56 PM

Naarkon wrote:
Poor Yuuzhan Vong. Looks like they only got in in NR squads...unless someone ran a squad with only Ossus Guardians and did that well.

Correct, the Vong were in NR. The Mando squad only went 2-2 before dropping, and there were no Old Republic or Sith. Someone ran a squad with 7 Jedi Battlemasters and 3 Ugnaughts at the French Nationals that year (I think) and did pretty well though.

Cad Bane and Arica are both missing too. That squad did really well once Pellaeon came out, and I think it was pretty dominant in Europe in 2010.
UrbanShmi
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 4:23:45 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Naarkon wrote:

That was me. It was my first time playing in the Champs and Bill gave me the squad building award for my NR/Vong squad (also featuring Garm Bel Iblis).
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 5:02:56 PM

Where did you find this data?

And why don't we have it (complete squads) for more recent GenCons?
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 5:10:34 PM

It's somewhere on Gamers - it's much harder to find stuff when the search isn't working. If you PM me your e-mail I can e-mail it to you.

It's easy to find top 8s for other years, but this is the only GenCon where i've seen results for the entire field. It's a good resource, as it's the point where WOTC was complete.
Echo24
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 5:16:40 PM

This was my favorite GenCon.
Darth_Jim
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 5:39:08 PM

Echo24 wrote:
This was my favorite GenCon.

LOL like this year's was mine. Seriously, your squad that year was as big an influence on my squad building as Imperial Swap.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 5:53:11 PM

This year was my favorite, too. I think I see a trend! BigGrin
zorc62
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2023 1:44:30 PM

How did Plo Koon, Jedi Master make this list without any troopers on it? I thought the point of him would've been to run him in a revenge squad with Mon Mothma and cheap troopers.

Is the Naboo Soldier a misprint and it's supposed to be the Alderaan Trooper?
CorellianComedian
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2023 4:54:36 PM

zorc62 wrote:
How did Plo Koon, Jedi Master make this list without any troopers on it? I thought the point of him would've been to run him in a revenge squad with Mon Mothma and cheap troopers.

Is the Naboo Soldier a misprint and it's supposed to be the Alderaan Trooper?

I don’t know what the Naboo Soldier was for but I don’t think the Alderaan Trooper has even been on-site at GenCon before and I can say that fairly confidently without ever having gone.

Plo Koon is great for deathshots, but he was also popular to run with Yoda on Kybuck and Captain Panaka. He’s a solid fighter and worth having even if you disregard his commander effect. I believe the play was to run Yoda deep into enemy territory (clearing out their weak troopers on the way) and swap him for Plo Koon, who would then drop 70 damage on something important.
spryguy1981
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2023 5:33:30 PM

I'm pretty sure Weeks played Plo and Kybuck.
donnie72191
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2023 7:08:25 PM

Does anyone else hate the V Sets? and love running with OG Emperor Palpatine and Nightsisters?
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2023 7:56:42 PM

another word criticizing the V-sets and I'll suspend you until 2053. or 3672, if I'm in a good mood
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2023 8:10:34 PM

gandalfthegreatestwizard wrote:
another word criticizing the V-sets and I'll suspend you until 2053. or 3672, if I'm in a good mood

You forgot the BigGrin
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2023 12:53:50 AM

donnie72191 wrote:
Does anyone else hate the V Sets? and love running with OG Emperor Palpatine and Nightsisters?

The v-sets made the Nightsister Sith Witches playable again - according to the list above they weren't really seeing much action at the end of WOTC.
Cassus fett
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2023 2:03:33 PM

donnie72191 wrote:

Wow amazing take… ThumbDown
zorc62
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2023 6:16:28 PM

Personally, I like the V-Sets more conceptually than in practice. Having been away from the game almost entirely since the end of the WOTC era, 23 new sets is a lot to catch up on, especially since I'm not plugged into an active scene where other people are engaged with the V Sets.

Digging into the data of this list a bit, power creep looks a lot less apparent than I would've expected. Sure, some big early competitive hits were rendered obsolete (e.g. RS Boba, Vader JH, GA Thrawn), a lot of pieces stayed relevant. In fact:

* Every set except Rebel Storm is represented.
* Bounty Hunters was the least represented after RS with only one character (Lord Vader).
* Dark Times, despite being the second most recent set, tied with Universe for having the fewest represented characters at only two. But since it was a 40-character set, it did better proportionately and tied with ROTS at 5% of its characters being represented.
* The most competitive set was Imperial Entanglements, with 9 characters represented (22.5% of the set), followed by Legacy of the Force (9 characters, 15% of the set), Galaxy at War (6 characters, 15%), and Knights of the Old Republic (8 characters, 13%)
* The Force Unleashed (7 characters, 12%) was more represented than Masters of the Force (4 characters, 10%) or Jedi Academy (3 characters, 7.5%).

As a player from the WOTC era (albeit not particularly active), it felt to me like there was a massive power spike around The Clone Wars. But breaking this list down by set seems to obscure that - it had only 5 characters represented. I think that's for a few reasons:
* It doesn't capture popularity. I'd bet almost every Separatist squad probably played at least one IG-86, and most Republic squads played Yobuck, but e.g. Kyp Durron was probably a less popular choice for NR.
* Much of the power creep of the time came from the IG Lancer and GOWK, who weren't in the CW set itself.
adamb0nd
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2023 6:30:45 PM

Interesting analytics, zorc, thanks for these details. I also agree with your statement on the perceived power creep spike timeline. I distinctly recall the last few sets feeling like wizards was trying to pull back on power level after the ship had already sailed.

V-Sets can be more overwhelming and a little more complicated than the traditional WOTC stat blocks. While i prefer Wotc's simplicity, I prefer the v-sets for squad diversity. They breathed life into some pieces and squad types that were never viable under WOTC. I also like that they keep bringing in new pieces that wotc didnt get to make. You should check out the Solo mini v-set. I felt that was a slam dunk in terms of design and getting the feel and spirit of the game right.