RegisterDonateLogin

One milk, two milk, red milk, Bloo Milk.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Getting back into the game Options
DroidX
Posted: Tuesday, July 4, 2023 11:12:04 AM
Groups: Member

Hello friends! After a decade and losing my entire collection, I am attempting to return to the game that brought me so much joy as a young man. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good place to purchase some old school minis? I’ll never return my collection to what it once was, but I would like to acquire some characters to play some competitive games again. Any advice would be much appreciated!
Randy
Posted: Tuesday, July 4, 2023 11:38:20 AM

Welcome back!

On Facebook there are a number of sellers. Try joining...

Star Wars Miniatures
The Star Wars Miniatures Hub
Star Wars Miniatures - Buy, Sell, Trade

There are several good sellers there.

If you want v-sets, bloomail me or StarWarsVsetDistribution with what you are looking for.

Good Hunting!
thereisnotry
Posted: Tuesday, July 4, 2023 11:42:49 AM

Welcome back!

There's not a lot of in-person play happening anymore. GenCon this summer will have a few competitive events (already sold out), and there are a few in-person Regional tournaments happening in some places, but beyond that I'm not aware of many opportunities to play SWM in person. Therefore, I'm not sure if it's worth all the $$$ it will cost to build a collection...at least, not if your goal is in-person play. However, if the other benefits of a collection are appealing to you, then it might very well be worth it for you: the fun of collecting, using the minis in an RPG game or other such role, displaying and bragging to your friends about how strong the Force is with you, etc...reasons like those might be worthwhile enough for you.

Also, btw, all of the competitive SWM play that is happening now includes the V-Sets. You can find all of those characters here on this site.

As far as I'm aware, much of the SWM play that happens these days happens on Vassal--remember that from all those years ago?
Mando
Posted: Tuesday, July 4, 2023 2:22:35 PM

Welcome back! If you'd like to play on Vassal sometime, we play competitive tournaments on there and also just games for fun or for playtesting new pieces for future v-sets. It's a pretty enjoyable way to get to know people from all over the world and to not have to collect every mini and it's free...so that's a great advantage to!
Gungan Batman Clone
Posted: Thursday, July 6, 2023 7:54:08 PM

I’ve been buying up lots on eBay recently and those are fun if you want to just get a lot of minis, often of one faction! I’ll have to check out Facebook though now that I know it’s there.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, July 7, 2023 7:50:08 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

thereisnotry wrote:
Therefore, I'm not sure if it's worth all the $$$ it will cost to build a collection...at least, not if your goal is in-person play. However, if the other benefits of a collection are appealing to you, then it might very well be worth it for you: the fun of collecting, using the minis in an RPG game or other such role, displaying and bragging to your friends about how strong the Force is with you, etc...reasons like those might be worthwhile enough for you.

Not all games need to be tournaments. He just needs one opponent to play in-person. But even that can be tough to find, depending on where you live...
thereisnotry
Posted: Saturday, July 8, 2023 5:52:06 AM

True, true. I guess I was operating under the assumption that it's easier to find opponents at a tournament (where opponents tend to gather). But you're right: it is possible to find lone opponents roaming around in the wild, outside the bounds of tournaments.
wannabe mexican
Posted: Saturday, July 8, 2023 11:15:35 PM

Where are you based? This would help find a play partner.