RegisterDonateLogin

Never tells you the odds.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Faith in the Force Options
Overley28
Posted: Friday, August 18, 2023 5:01:10 PM
Groups: Member

With the new Revan, and using Bastila with Advanced battle meditation. How does that work against abilities such as disciplined leader? Does disciplined leader get cancelled then by faith in the force? Or is it mainly to be used against force immunity or ysalamari
thereisnotry
Posted: Friday, August 18, 2023 8:23:47 PM

ABM cancels any CEs that can be cancelled. If a character has Disciplined Leader then its CEs cannot be cancelled (though other CEs in the same squad could be cancelled if those characters don't have Disciplined Leader).

I'm not sure how Faith in the Force comes into play here.
Overley28
Posted: Saturday, August 19, 2023 4:57:08 AM

Faith in the Force: Their Force powers cannot be cancelled or prevented from affecting characters.

Disciplined leader is preventing ABM from affecting the squad since disciplined leader says CE cannot be cancelled. So not sure if Faith in the force prohibits you from using disciplined leader since disciplined leader is preventing ABM from affecting characters basically
Caedus
Posted: Saturday, August 19, 2023 5:23:48 AM

thereisnotry wrote:
ABM cancels any CEs that can be cancelled. If a character has Disciplined Leader then its CEs cannot be cancelled (though other CEs in the same squad could be cancelled if those characters don't have Disciplined Leader).

I'm not sure how Faith in the Force comes into play here.

Faith in the Force

Card Text

This character and allies with a lightsaber within 2 squares cannot be prevented from spending Force points or be forced to spend extra Force points. Their Force powers cannot be cancelled or prevented from affecting characters.

Glossary Text

This character and allies with a lightsaber within 2 squares cannot be prevented from spending Force points or be forced to spend extra Force points. Their Force powers cannot be cancelled or prevented from affecting characters. For instance, these characters ignore Force Suppression. They cannot have the effects of their Force Powers canceled by Force Absorb or Force Defense. They may spend Force points and affect characters within 6 squares of Ysalamiri. They can spend Force points to affect, reroll attacks, and respond to the attacks and abilities of characters with Force Immunity.

Yikes! I think it does work like that.
thereisnotry
Posted: Saturday, August 19, 2023 6:09:48 AM

I think we'd need to check with designer intent on this one. I don't think it was playtested this way.

This is glossary text that (one would think) should be easy to adjust in order to prevent this interaction of abilities. I do think that designer intent should carry heavy weight for this one.
TimmerB123
Posted: Saturday, August 19, 2023 7:05:59 AM

Faith in the Force was made many sets ago. As one of the designers on the set when it debuted - this interaction wasn’t on the radar (different factions, so the particular combo wasn’t possible then).

But this is a case where rules-wise - it is an unstoppable force (Force, ha!) meeting an unmovable object.

We are getting into the counter of the counter of the counter territory. Ugly stuff.

At some point you need to declare a terminus, or this will just keep going on.

I’d personally vote for disciplined leader being permanent and unable to be undone.

Designer insight - One of the main reasons disciplined leader is often added - is NOT because they are such great leaders and the character deserves that higher level. It’s because the CE’s that are on characters with disciplined leader would cause very crazy interactions that would make far more rules headaches if they are disrupted.

Summarized designer conversations frequently had -
“What happens rules-wise if this CE gets disrupted (distracted/ABM’d)? Yikes, that would be a headache. Let’s just give the piece disciplined leader so we never have to deal with that.”
thereisnotry
Posted: Saturday, August 19, 2023 8:47:05 AM

Very true, Tim. But what I was referring to about designer intent was specifically about what Gandalf had in mind when he designed this new Prodigal Revan (who has FitF). From the best I can understand, this odd interaction (ie, FitF overriding Discplined Leader) was never even mentioned.

Back to the broader discussion now: Think about what this could mean for the game: Super-ABM means that people/designers will stop using DiscLeader and start using Camaraderie for all of their 'never disrupted' boosts. I personally don't like that trajectory and so I'd prefer to see it cut off immediately rather than letting things get increasingly silly over the next few years.

And the thing is, it doesn't just affect the Disciplined Leader ability itself, but also Hand Signals, CEs with 'for the rest of the skirmish' wording, and probably more CE interactions that are not coming to mind right now.
gholli69
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2023 5:50:26 AM

For instance, I recently asked a question about the new Vader that lets you grab an ability from an allied inquisitors and hand it out to other inquisitors in your squad. I was told that disruptive wouldn't prevent them from using the CE because it plays as if it was on their card. But with this new Super ABM would that still be the case? Just another interaction that came to my mind because of the recent question, but what about CEs like that where the effect is supposed to be for the rest of the skirmish? I feel like it shouldn't affect that type of CE or disciplined leader/ hand signals stuff as they were specifically designed to be undisruptible. However, ysalimiri and force immunity should still be affected IMO.
urbanjedi
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2023 9:31:31 AM

gholli69 wrote:
For instance, I recently asked a question about the new Vader that lets you grab an ability from an allied inquisitors and hand it out to other inquisitors in your squad. I was told that disruptive wouldn't prevent them from using the CE .

This is because it says until the end of the skirmish. No other reason than that. If it didn’t say that it would be disruptable, etc
urbanjedi
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2023 9:34:31 AM

There are other instances where 2 abilities directly contradict each other. My initial ruling would be that disciplined leader would hold true and the “super Abm” would do nothing additional to those characters. Same would hold for hand signals and other similar abilities would be my current ruling.

I could be wrong but have to dig into old precedents for some of those other contradictory abilities
thereisnotry
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2023 11:44:23 AM

urbanjedi wrote:
There are other instances where 2 abilities directly contradict each other. My initial ruling would be that disciplined leader would hold true and the “super Abm” would do nothing additional to those characters. Same would hold for hand signals and other similar abilities would be my current ruling.

I could be wrong but have to dig into old precedents for some of those other contradictory abilities
Common sense wins the day! BlooMilk

But yes, it's just the day. We'll have to see what the final ruling is.
Overley28
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2023 1:10:14 PM

I think the way faith in the force is worded now, it prevents usage of disciplined leader, etc with ABM since it is preventing ABM from affecting their CE. However, I do also agree it should not. Maybe a slight wording change somehow?
Udorian84
Posted: Monday, August 21, 2023 4:47:43 AM

ABM was created for a very singular purpose. It takes 3 force and the character's entire turn.
It should shut down all commander effects on its own, not even needing Faith in the Force. Faith in the Force Bastila has to be within 2 squares of the character.

Is this really an issue?
What is the scenario in which it is a problem?

If you have to keep a main piece and a 33 point piece next to each other and out of sight what is the rest of the build going to be able to accomplish with over 80 points in the back in the OR faction?

But ya, disciplined leader needs a counter just like everything else does.
N3rdSl4y3r
Posted: Monday, August 21, 2023 5:06:44 AM

Bastila gains Force Attuned from Revan, The Prodigal Knight, so she can stay in the action and use it.
thereisnotry
Posted: Monday, August 21, 2023 5:24:00 AM

Udorian84 wrote:
But ya, disciplined leader needs a counter just like everything else does.

FWIW, I personally don't even like the Disciplined Leader ability (or its cousins) and I would prefer that it didn't exist.

However, regardless of my own preferences there are some CEs that would get really wonky if they were suddenly disruptable...and that is why they were made to be non-disruptable in the first place (ie, in the design phase).

I guess that if we wanted a counter to Disciplined Leader we could design a new SA that directly counters it, just as Rigging Defuser counters Rigged Detonators.
Overley28
Posted: Monday, August 21, 2023 7:35:08 AM

I personally don't think creating a SA that counters a counter (disciplined leader) for a counter (disruptive) is the way to go because then it will just cause the same thing - crazy interactions that no one knows the answer to
thereisnotry
Posted: Monday, August 21, 2023 9:42:11 AM

Overley28 wrote:
I personally don't think creating a SA that counters a counter (disciplined leader) for a counter (disruptive) is the way to go because then it will just cause the same thing - crazy interactions that no one knows the answer to
Just for clarification, I agree. My whole point here is simply that I don't think ABM should ever be able to ignore Disciplined Leader or its cousins.