We're gonna have company!

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

ABM and Amanoa Options
Caedus
Posted: Saturday, September 2, 2023 1:22:55 PM
Groups: Member

In reference to ABM

Force ability

Some characters have Force powers that remain in effect beyond that character's turn. These are called Force abilities. A Force ability remains active for the designated time. Force abilities cannot be cancelled unless the character is defeated, or at the moment the ability is activated (if a character with a Force canceling power like Force Absorb or Force Defense is within the required range at the time of activation). Force abilities that don't last until the end of the skirmish are negated prematurely if the character using it rolls a save, spends Force points, makes an attack, or is dealt damage. The ability immediately ends if the character joins an opponent's squad. Characters with Force Immunity ignore Force abilities.

Queen Amanoa's CE

At the end of this character's turn, you may select any 1 unactivated enemy. This round, after all characters in your squad are activated, at the end of that turn that enemy is considered activated; save 16. (This includes Droid and Savage characters.)

This would mean that when all my characters are activated, and I choose Bastila, JM with Amanoa's CE, ABM shuts off, correct??

I'm sure this has been answered before, but I want to be sure.

Overley28
Posted: Saturday, September 2, 2023 2:02:07 PM

Yes, Bastila would be making a save for the force ability shuts off.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Saturday, September 2, 2023 2:45:23 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Yes, making a save would shut off the Force ability. However, for you to select Bastila she has to be unactivated when Amanoa takes her turn.
TimmerB123
Posted: Saturday, September 2, 2023 7:13:29 PM

Look out Spry - Caedus is bringing a counter to Bastila
DarkDracul
Posted: Sunday, September 3, 2023 8:02:53 AM

The most likely outcome with Queen Amanoa's CE is that it will deactivate ABM prematurely on its consecutive turn after all your characters have activated. This can be beneficial, but it leans towards a more defensive and reactionary strategy. It's not very probable that you would use it to deactivate ABM during your own activations.

gholli69
Posted: Sunday, September 3, 2023 11:17:22 AM

My question is, does the save roll still happen regardless of her activation status once Amanoa goes off? If the save happens even if she is already activated then that would be huge as it shuts ABM down a whole round early. If she is already activated and therefore no save is rolled then like Bryan said, Amanoa shouldn't be that big of a swing as you would only be shutting her off after all your characters have gone in the second round after ABM started so you might avoid a little extra damage but that would be about it. I know some things you always roll for, just not sure if this is one of them?
FlyingArrow
Posted: Sunday, September 3, 2023 11:30:20 AM

gholli69 wrote:
My question is, does the save roll still happen regardless of her activation status once Amanoa goes off? If the save happens even if she is already activated then that would be huge as it shuts ABM down a whole round early. If she is already activated and therefore no save is rolled then like Bryan said, Amanoa shouldn't be that big of a swing as you would only be shutting her off after all your characters have gone in the second round after ABM started so you might avoid a little extra damage but that would be about it. I know some things you always roll for, just not sure if this is one of them?

Great question, and one that required (for me) a deep search into the nethers of the Rules forum. Maybe somebody else already knew the answer. Here's the answer:

http://www.bloomilk.com/Forums/default.aspx?g=posts&t=2850

_NickName_ wrote:
The save would need to be rolled, as the result of 1 is meaningful even if the success or failure is otherwise meaningless. Saves are not optional even when they are completely meaningless.

Bastila would in fact roll the save, even if she's already activated. This has been a relevant ruling forever (since Darth Vader, Dark Jedi), but I didn't remember the ruling and had to go hunting for it.

However, in this case Amanoa would have to go before Bastila for it to work. If Bastila is already activated during Amanoa's turn, then Amanoa may NOT choose Bastila with her CE. The chosen character must be unactivated during Amanoa's turn. But if Amanoa goes before Bastila during the round, then Bastila will have to make the save once all Sith characters are activated. That will turn off ABM a round early (if Bastila bothered to turn it on... after all, she would know it's about to to be turned off early so maybe she'd just save her Force points).

gholli69
Posted: Sunday, September 3, 2023 2:14:58 PM

Sounds like I would be activating Amanoa pretty early every round if I won Initiative when playing against Bastilla. I kind of thought that you still made the save but wasn't positive. Pretty neat interaction here.
thereisnotry
Posted: Sunday, September 3, 2023 5:40:01 PM

Yes, it's quite interesting. Basically, it would come down to who won initiative:

--If OR wins init, then Bastilla turns on ABM and it functions completely normally (Amanoa's CE can't trigger since ABM is preventing it).
--If Sith wins init, then Amanoa activates first and selects Bastilla. Then as the round plays out it's the OR player's choice about whether or not those 3 fp are best spent on ABM only for use this round, or if it's better to save the fp in case of a won init next round.

I'm not sure that either of these characters has ever been played this way before now.
Caedus
Posted: Sunday, September 3, 2023 5:59:32 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
Look out Spry - Caedus is bringing a counter to Bastila

I have way better counters to Bastila than that Tim, come on now.
Caedus
Posted: Sunday, September 3, 2023 6:03:40 PM

gholli69 wrote:

If Bastila must be unactivated at the end of Amanoa's turn to choose her. Otherwise, she is not a legal target for the ability. However if she is, in fact, chosen while she is unactivated, then ABM would shut off at the end of the round, regardless if she was activated or not.

ABM against most of my squads with Amanoa isn't too bothersome, but negating the 10 Damage is helpful.
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Sunday, September 3, 2023 6:40:28 PM

thereisnotry wrote:
--If OR wins init, then Bastilla turns on ABM and it functions completely normally (Amanoa's CE can't trigger since ABM is preventing it).

Not since ABM is preventing it- Amanoa has Disciplined Leader- but because Bastila is activated and Amanoa's CE has to choose an unactivated character to affect.
thereisnotry
Posted: Monday, September 4, 2023 8:44:30 AM

gandalfthegreatestwizard wrote:
thereisnotry wrote:

Not since ABM is preventing it- Amanoa has Disciplined Leader- but because Bastila is activated and Amanoa's CE has to choose an unactivated character to affect.
Right, I missed that. Thanks.