RegisterDonateLogin

Won't try to frighten you with its sorcerer's ways.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

2023 Vassal Con Championship -- preparation and organization Options
thereisnotry
Posted: Saturday, August 26, 2023 3:50:23 PM
Groups: Member

2023 Vassal Con Championship -- preparation and organization

The premiere SWM event on Vassal this year…it’s coming up soon! Just for clarification, the event starts at 3:00 pm Central Time on Saturday, September 9.

Here are some things to keep in mind before we get started:

Format: As described in the Event Schedule thread, we will be playing 4 rounds of Swiss, regardless of the number of players who show up. As always, all games will be 75 minutes long, once players have completed their setup. Players are responsible for keeping track of the time during their game.

Game Reporting: When you complete your game, the winner needs to send me a Private Message on Vassal, listing the following:
---the final score (i.e., 200-132). The software I’m using will automatically apply the Points for the match (ie, 3-1), as long as you give me an accurate score.
--- the map that you played on.
--- a precise list of all the characters that each player brought in via Reinforcements/Reserves, etc (see below).

Playoffs: As has been discussed, some or all of the playoff rounds will likely need to be scheduled for the following day or even the following week; when we get to that point we will work with everyone involved to find a suitable time for whatever games still need to be played. The playoff cut will be based on the number of players:
--- 12 or fewer: Top 4
--- 13-20: Top 6
--- 20+: Top 8
Btw, in case you're interested we will be using the single elimination seeded bracket structure found here: https://www.printyourbrackets.com/single-elimination-tournament-brackets.html

Rules Experts: I will be looking for some rules experts to help adjudicate rules questions during the event. If they need to step out of their current game to answer a question, they will pause the timer in their game while they save the galaxy. (Not all heroes wear capes!) As the T.O. I have the final say when it comes to how things will be handled in any given dispute, though I will obviously defer to the expertise of the experts for difficult rules matters.

Registration: The usual process applies for registration. I will confirm in this thread when I’ve sent my info to a neutral 3rd party. After that, at least 30 minutes prior to the start of the event, please send me a BM including all of the following:
--- Your screenname.
--- Your first name.
--- A link to your squad (it doesn’t need to be Public until we start the first round of the tournament).
--- A copied list of your squad, with costs adjusted to account for Rapport (so no 224pt squads that probably have Rapport in there somewhere…please adjust it so that this list is accurate).
--- Your map choice, from the Restricted Map List (Theed Palace, Mushroom Planet, Rancor Pen, Crime Lord's Palace, Modular Base, Desert Palace).
--- Reinforcements/Reserves: If your squad happens to include Reinforcements or similar effects that bring in a choice of characters, you do need to include a list of your choices. Note: as per the rules, I will keep a copy of this list private until the end of the event, and will check it against the optional characters that were used during each of your games (as listed in the game report). Copied directly from the 2023 BC Rulings thread:
"Balance Committee Rulings for 2023 wrote:
*Limited (sideboard) Reinforcement/added characters.
Characters added to a squad must be listed with the squad during registration. Specific characters added (Porgs, Rackghouls) do not require a list. Only CEs and abilities involving a choice of characters. For each instance, (CE, Reinforcements, Reserves, Bribery, etc.) lists of characters may not exceed the build total.
e.g. 200pt constructed: 200pt max Reinforcements, 200pt max Reserves, ect.

Lists of optional characters will remain concealed with a judge or T.O. until the end of the tournament. Players are not required to reveal lists of optional characters to their opponents. Opponents may request judge verification so long as it does not interrupt gameplay.

--- …and just for fun: take your best guesses to answer these two questions (I might post the tabulated results after the event concludes):
1. Which player (other than yourself) do you think is most likely to win this event?
2. Which squad type do you think is most likely to win this event?

Ok, so there it is. Get hyped!

If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to let 'em fly in this thread.
thereisnotry
Posted: Saturday, August 26, 2023 4:01:26 PM

Also, since it could potentially be confusing if not addressed directly, I want to talk specifically about the pairing software...or the lack of it. The app that we’ve used in the past to help us run these events has fallen to the dark side and is no longer available on the App Store. It’s nothing for you guys to worry about with this event, but I’m just being transparent about the system I’ll be using.

It has been a bit of a headache, but I think I’ve got things sorted out now: I’ve built a very complicated but (finally!) smooth Excel document that will do the trick for us. (I’ve even tested it using the data from the recent GenCon Champs and everything worked out properly.) However, I don’t have a way to program the head-to-head calculations into the formulas, so it might take a few extra minutes each round to ensure that the rankings are correct before we proceed to pairing. Nevertheless, I think we’re good to go here.

Also, because this is just an Excel spreadsheet and not a full tournament pairing software, I'll be taking a different approach to make the random pairings. I'll be using the https://www.random.org/ website to come up with the random pairings. Feel free to check it out for yourself if you'd like...it's basically an all-purpose randomizer that will serve our purposes perfectly for the first round (when all pairings will be random) and then for the following rounds (as pairings become randomized among a much smaller and smaller group of players).

And I even had an idea: I can do a screen share via Discord when setting up and using the Randomizer, so that everyone can watch those pairings show up in real time.
Caedus
Posted: Saturday, August 26, 2023 6:59:52 PM

tint, as always, YOU'RE THE MAN. 2 weeks away is very exciting!!!

1. Randy

2. Sith
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Sunday, August 27, 2023 1:53:26 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

does anyone need a teammate for the Thursday team tournament? because I could use one.
spryguy1981
Posted: Sunday, August 27, 2023 5:26:53 AM

1. Tim
2. Some variant of Nightsisters.
TimmerB123
Posted: Sunday, August 27, 2023 1:35:20 PM

tint
Thrawn + Boba AFH

-or-

spryguy1981
Bastila + (probably Ven Zallow, Atton Rand)
urbanjedi
Posted: Monday, August 28, 2023 7:56:21 AM

Tint

With Mandos.
thereisnotry
Posted: Monday, August 28, 2023 8:37:42 AM

Lol, this is funny! I intended that people send their guesses/predictions along with their squad registration info! But it's not a big deal...this thread is a fine place for that.

My guess is that Spry will win, with a nasty OR build of some sort.
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, August 28, 2023 7:53:17 PM

What is the latest Vassal version we should be running?
thereisnotry
Posted: Tuesday, August 29, 2023 4:35:55 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:
What is the latest Vassal version we should be running?

Good question. Version 25 (not 25a) is the most recent.

If you have the correct one, the Vassal chat window will say this when you first load it up:
"- SWM Skirmish Game version 25"

Another way to confirm this is if you look at the small Vassal window (the one that launches the SWM mod, not the SWM mod itself), the information showing up under the "Description" heading will be "Updated August 2023".
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, August 29, 2023 6:45:01 AM

Glad I asked. I have 25a
Caedus
Posted: Friday, September 1, 2023 7:24:13 PM

When can we send squads?? For any event?
UrbanShmi
Posted: Friday, September 1, 2023 7:26:42 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Working on that.
thereisnotry
Posted: Monday, September 4, 2023 12:23:56 PM

Okay, it's now official: I've sent my squad info to Darth_Jim. (He's not playing in the event, but he is still familiar with the way we do these things.)

You are now free to send me your squad info via BlooMail, keeping in mind the things that I've listed in the first post of this thread. If you send me a BM and the info isn't correct (ie, you haven't included a list of possible Reinforcements if that applies, etc) then I'll let you know as soon as I recognize that something is amiss. Also, please remember that you really do need to send your info to me at least 30 minutes before the start of the event (so that's 2:30 Central Time on Saturday).

Also, if you send me your info and then a few days later you change your mind, that's no problem (as long as the new BM arrives at least 30 minutes prior to the start of the event).

NOTE: In the Subject line of your BM, PLEASE make it clear that this is for the CHAMPIONSHIP. I'm running several events and I don't want to accidentally mix things up. It'll work just fine if you send each of your squads separately, and with a clear Subject line.

Thanks! May the Schwartz be with youuuuuuu.....
Darth_Jim
Posted: Monday, September 4, 2023 3:35:37 PM

I am indeed the holder of Tint's squads, and since Geezerhood is quickly enveloping me, don't ask me what they are because even if you could bribe me I won't remember. However, Bloomail is still the paper trail we can follow in the event questions arise. Good luck and have fun, everyone.