RegisterDonateLogin

I truly, deeply love Bloo.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Player preparation for making Vassal Con run smoothly Options
TimmerB123
Posted: Friday, September 1, 2023 8:59:58 AM
Groups: Member

Notes to all players for preparation regarding all tournaments that require pre-built squads -

Not that I have authority over anything to make these required rules (well actually I guess I could in the one tournament I am the official T.O.), but I think we can all agree that these just make sense.

1. Save your squads in Vassal ahead of time!

2. Make sure you have the latest version of the SWM module for Vassal (V.25, NOT 25a or any other number)
- If you don't have 25 - here's how to update - http://www.bloomilk.com/Forums/default.aspx?g=posts&t=28753

3. If you have any rapport or other printed cost changing abilities (via CE, etc) - change the cost ON THE PIECE ITSELF in your saved squad. You do this by right clicking on the piece in Vassal, and click "set cost" (or hit Alt+P while the piece is highlighted) and adjust the cost to accurately reflect the cost for the squad. Example - If you are playing Elite Republic Commando Boss - every other character in your squad whose name contains Republic Commando should have their cost adjusted to 2 less, prior to saving your squad. This won't change at any time during the tournament, so have it saved this way prior to the Vassal Con. When you have your squad in the save box (I,II,III,IV) it should accurately reflect the built total. It should not say 208 or any other total over the build limit.

4. Variable cost adjustments - some adjustments are not set prior to the game. Unlike rapport (ERC Boss example above), some other abilities and CEs can make cost variable depending on circumstances. Be prepared to adjust the cost prior to starting each game if necessary. Examples - If you are playing an Eighth Cortex Shaper - you get 1 "free" additional piece with a cost of up to 18pts via the CE. When you choose and add this piece - adjust its cost to 0. If you are playing Jabba Desilijic Tiure, who has Fringe Reinforcements 20, you can to add up to 20 points of reinforcements after seeing your opponent's squad. The price of the reinforcement pieces generally stay the same as they are already set (exception - if a piece ALSO has applicable rapport - such as Salacious Crumb in this case you would need to adjust cost to 4 on the fly). However - the piece with the reinforcement ability (or bribery or CE, etc) gets their cost adjusted by subtracting the cost of the cost total of the pieces you brought in. Thus - if you brought in 20 pts of reinforcements (usually the case), Jabba's cost would be set at 38 (58-20). My suggestion would be to go ahead and set the cost of the reinforcement piece (or bribery, or CE, etc) by subtracting the full reinforcement total. But then you must remember that if you bring in less than that (if the perfect reinforcements only cost 19pts) - you need to readjust the cost of the piece with the reinforcement ability (in this case Jabba) to reflect the new cost (in this case 39, 58-19).
*Note - The Eighth Cortex shaper is an exception to the rule. It's cost does not get adjusted. Other pieces with a reinforcement like CE (such as Darth Sidious, Sith Emperor) will get their cost adjusted based on the pieces they add to their squad.

Anything else I missed?

Here's a totally optional thing:

*My* suggestion (not required), is that the color of your squad be consistent. Most squads have Fringe in them, and sometimes other factions via CE or Affinity. The pieces as you pull them have their natural faction color (which is great!), but it can make it confusing when playing another squad with similar pieces. Instead of having a rainbow of pieces in your squad - adjust them all to the same color. Example - you are playing Old Republic Jedi Crusaders, and you round out the squad with 2 ugnaughts. Change their color to yellow instead of brown. (right click on piece, choose player color, or Ctrl + P)
An exception to this might be if you have a squad where it's important to distinguish their faction. Such as if you bring in pieces via CE from another faction, it does not change their faction (as opposed to affinity where it does change their faction). If this is very relevant to distinguish this in your squad (maybe an important CE only goes to one group or another) - you may choose to keep them different colors. Decide what makes the most sense for your squad.

If you end up facing the same faction as your squad - one player or the other might volunteer to make their entire squad another color for ease of differentiation (like we used to do). Highlight the whole squad (hold down left mouse button while dragging a highlight square around your whole squad), and change all their color at once
thereisnotry
Posted: Friday, September 1, 2023 9:29:34 AM

Well said, Tim! I was thinking of posting a similar thing myself. I've got a suggestion about pre-saving your maps too:

In the past, you needed to pull out a whole bunch of tokens at the start of the game (targeting markers, door markers, gambit indicator, score tracker, etc). However, almost everything is now contained and easily accessible from the pieces themselves (ie, you can create a "Door Blasted Open marker" by r-clicking on an Uggie), so there is very little need to set out any tokens before the game starts. However, I've found that there are still two things that you need to set out at the start of a game:
(1) the gambit zone (obviously) needs to be properly placed on the map.
(2) the Round Counter token is not necessary, but it is helpful (it's found in the Markers tab in the Units/Markers section)

Of course, you could pull these out at the start of every match. It doesn't take a long time, so it's probably not a big deal. But it does take some time, and since we're playing so many games, maybe it's worth pre-saving all of the maps you expect to be playing on. So here's what I've done:
(A) Start a New Game, select your player number, and select the map. Standard procedure here.
(B) Pull out the gambit zone marker and place it in its proper location at the center of the map (ie, at the intersection between the 11-12 and R-S squares).
(C) Pull out the Round Counter and place it in an unobtrusive location. Since it's only 2x1 squares in size, it's usually pretty easy to find a spot on most maps (I often place it on a part of the map where there are thick walls (ie, with black space)...there is plenty of space for this on the Rancor Pen map, for example.
(D) Then go to File>Save Game As...and find a place to save your maps, then give the map a name. Personally, I've used this pattern: "Map_Rancor Pen". It will save as "Map_Rancor Pen.vsav" in your folder. (By the way, I keep my maps in the same folder that also stores my saved squads...it's very easy to use this way.)
(E) Now, when you've had the map roll and need to set up a map, you go to File>Load Game or Log and select the map that you've saved. You will automatically be signed in as the Player # that you chose back in step (A), above.

Is this necessary? No. Is it helpful? Absolutely.
thereisnotry
Posted: Friday, September 1, 2023 9:46:17 AM

While I'm at it, I'll also describe how to handle a situation that may come up for just one event this year: The 150pt WotC Map Tournament on Friday (as part of the Jedi Challenge). One of the maps available for that tournament is the "hardboard" map, aka the "Power Regulation Chamber". That map has a slightly different layout from the others, because it has an odd number of squares on each side (all the others have an even number on both sides), and therefore has no easy spot for the gambit zone. However, a long time ago in a version of the vassal module far far away, this map was used quite often, and so someone (likely Jason Tanner, aka Nickname, for those who remember him) created a specific Gambit Zone marker just for this map, which accurately indicates each square that is 4 squares away from the center of that map.

Here's how you can make it work:
(A) Start a New Game as normal, and use the Power Regulation Chamber map.
(B) Drag the Gambit Zone marker out on to the map, as normal.
(C) While it's still selected (ie, highlighted with a pink outline), r-click it and choose "Next Ring Type"...and voila! It'll change to a different-looking Gambit Zone, which is accurate for this specific map (and only this one).
(D) Center this new Gambit Zone marker on the O-10 square (indicated by the stylish white circle in that square on the map). Then click somewhere else on the map, which will 'lock' the Gambit Zone marker in place.

[Btw, if you ever need to move the Gambit Zone marker on any map but don't know how to select it, here's how: hold down SHIFT while you L-Click somewhere on the marker...this will select it and enable you to move it around as desired.]
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, September 5, 2023 10:50:18 AM

Have we talked about Discord?

The way we TALK to each other while we play on Vassal is using Discord!

It is free and easy to use.

If you don't already have Discord - download it and register FOR FREE.

https://discord.com/

This is our Server for Star Wars Miniatures:
https://discord.com/channels/650556586514972672/650556587190124576

Everyone please gather in the GENERAL room, under PRE-GAME (VOICE) of this server AT LEAST 5 minutes before the start of each tournament. Then general instructions and pairings will be given.

This is a direct link to join:

https://discord.gg/wg8hjB8Q