RegisterDonateLogin

Can't see a thing in this helmet.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Custom Miniatures Cost Calculator Options
SignerJ
Posted: Wednesday, May 16, 2012 2:34:44 PM
Groups: Member

For the past few (months, is it?) in my free time, I have been working on a custom cost calculator for Star Wars miniatures. Currently, I only have one for melee units, and many abilities are not included. However, I use it on all of my miniatures and they usually turn out pretty well.

The first thing that I must mention is that I did not come up with this idea, and I did not design all of it. It was first designed by zombiegleemax on the Star Wars forums on the Wizards website. I found the calculator by accident, and have worked on translating it into a Microsoft Excel program for easier usage. The abilities colored in black were determined by zombiegleemax, while the ones in red were determined by me. I have tried to put a note below every ability that I am uncertain of the correct cost for. Many of the "more popular" and more complex force powers I have needed to determine relatively arbitrarily, for Jedi and Sith characters. This is still in development, but I find it very useful.

Here are the main flaws that I know of:

-There are no Commander Effects included
-The more complex force powers may be overpriced some; remember this when determining cost
-In comparison with the glossary, there are very few abilities
-It is suggested that the received value is used as something to get you in the right area; the value oftentimes needs to be tweaked by a few points, and sometimes completely discarded

Well, I can't think of much more to add to this post, so I'll just give the link to the document. It is located on a service called dropbox; all you need to do is click on the link, and the file will begin to download. Feedback is appreciated, and remember: it is still in development. (I am currently in school, so I don't have much time to work on it.)

The link: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/49767633/Melee%20Stat%20Calculator.xlsx
surf_rider56
Posted: Wednesday, May 16, 2012 3:43:34 PM

SignerJ wrote:
For the past few (months, is it?) in my free time, I have been working on a custom cost calculator for Star Wars miniatures. Currently, I only have one for melee units, and many abilities are not included. However, I use it on all of my miniatures and they usually turn out pretty well.

The first thing that I must mention is that I did not come up with this idea, and I did not design all of it. It was first designed by zombiegleemax on the Star Wars forums on the Wizards website. I found the calculator by accident, and have worked on translating it into a Microsoft Excel program for easier usage. The abilities colored in black were determined by zombiegleemax, while the ones in red were determined by me. I have tried to put a note below every ability that I am uncertain of the correct cost for. Many of the "more popular" and more complex force powers I have needed to determine relatively arbitrarily, for Jedi and Sith characters. This is still in development, but I find it very useful.

Here are the main flaws that I know of:

-There are no Commander Effects included
-The more complex force powers may be overpriced some; remember this when determining cost
-In comparison with the glossary, there are very few abilities
-It is suggested that the received value is used as something to get you in the right area; the value oftentimes needs to be tweaked by a few points, and sometimes completely discarded

Well, I can't think of much more to add to this post, so I'll just give the link to the document. It is located on a service called dropbox; all you need to do is click on the link, and the file will begin to download. Feedback is appreciated, and remember: it is still in development. (I am currently in school, so I don't have much time to work on it.)

The link: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/49767633/Melee%20Stat%20Calculator.xlsx

I also have a cost calculator from the old WOTC; mine is also an Excel program and it has melee and range costing on it. Perhaps we should compare notes. If you're good at Excel(and you're probably better than me) maybe we can compare and redo them to both work better.
SignerJ
Posted: Wednesday, May 16, 2012 4:32:19 PM

That would be best. I spent days looking for the excel document from WOTC, but I couldn't find it. I eventually gave up and began my own.

Comparing notes would be great, especially because I hope to eventually include most every ability. Currently, my focus is the melee calculator; though I am working on getting a basic ranged calculator running as well.

So, yes, comparing would be great.

EDIT: Thanks for the feedback, everyone!
dadvader74
Posted: Thursday, September 21, 2023 12:48:38 AM

Hi guys, Sorry for necroposting but anyone have access to the excel files and kindly share them with me? Thank you.