RegisterDonateLogin

Before the dark times...before the Empire.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Should we bring back Daala? Options
DarkDracul
Posted: Monday, September 18, 2023 4:21:40 PM
Groups: Member

Daala has been banned for several years now. . .
Since then a few changes have happened that make me wonder if we could bring her back.
i.e. the 16 activation cap and the no multi-cannon shots rule.
I don't know if she would still be a problem in the current game.

What you all think?
adamb0nd
Posted: Monday, September 18, 2023 5:22:35 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I know its a big ask, but it seems like the type of thing some play testing would be really useful to determine.

I imagine its fine- based on the last time she rocked meta, everything was about easily out activating your opponent and then cannon shotting them to oblivion.
thereisnotry
Posted: Monday, September 18, 2023 7:38:52 PM

I'd be fine with bringing Daala back. It's worth a shot, anyway. In addition to the reasons that Bryan listed, there are also now more pieces with Shien Style and Reflect (so Raxus troopers die 50% of the time when they attack).
spryguy1981
Posted: Tuesday, September 19, 2023 6:08:57 AM

I'd consider it if changes were made to her kit or if damage stacking is addressed by the BC.
thereisnotry
Posted: Tuesday, September 19, 2023 10:34:31 AM

I agree 100% about damage stacking. I don't think the main BC topics thread is the place for discussion, but I wanted to add a big "+1" to your post there.

As I see it, a character shouldn't be able to do more than 2x its base printed damage without rolling a crit. So if someone has base 20dmg, they should be able to get +10 or even +20 in some situations, but never 50dmg hits aside from critical hits. I have no solid reason behind that, but it's kinda dumb to me when troopers with 10 dmg printed on their card are attacking for 40dmg with Twin and Double and GMA, etc.

It seems that everyone with a Cost higher than 5 does 30dmg nowadays, and if Daala's troopers have 20hp I'm not really bothered by that because they're go down so easily. But if they're harder to kill (ie, the 50hp Elite Scout variant that people have used with Daala) that's more frustrating.

I'm curious to see what develops here if people do start to use Daala again. The activation cap and the limit to cannon-shots will almost certainly have an impact.
CorellianComedian
Posted: Tuesday, September 19, 2023 1:51:05 PM

Not a tournament player so take this with a grain of salt: I like the idea of not doing more than double your printed damage much more than a generic cap like Lightsaber Protection does, but would it also be wise to consider whether the damage boosts come from internal or external sources? Plenty of pieces are based on having 10 damage and stacking up from there, and often those pieces can pre-loaded with damage boosts well beyond their standard critical hit (i.e. anything with Cunning/Opportunist +20 and 10 base damage). It’d be a feels-bad moment for pieces like Twi’lek Black Sun Vigo (not that it’s an integral or iconic piece, just an example).
dreadtech
Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2023 6:57:00 AM

As a casual player we never banned her.
Sure she is under-costed but then again not alone in that.