RegisterDonateLogin

The Indomitable

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Assistance with Customs Options
Bazkul
Posted: Monday, June 19, 2023 4:10:58 PM
Groups: Member

Hello, all! Long time user of this site, newly registered to forum.

I am a collector/player from long ago, and am now rebuilding my collection and teaching the game to my casual playgroup.

I enjoy making customs, especially for characters not represented and my own characters (from SWTOR, and old RPG).
I would greatly appreciate anyone's assistance in costing out some of them, (I've tried using cost calculators found online, but would like the community's input ), so that I can be sure costing is fair.

I'll just start with one, then add others as I go.

Rubii Xane, Black Sun Vigo

HP 100
Def 17
Atk +13
Dam 20

Special Abilities
Unique
Bounty Hunter 4
Evade
Rolling Fire
Twin Attack
Survival Expert

Force Powers
Force 2

Thanks in advance for any help!
Randy
Posted: Monday, June 19, 2023 4:53:58 PM

Bazkul wrote:

Rubii Xane, Black Sun Vigo

HP 100
Def 17
Atk +13
Dam 20

Special Abilities
Unique
Bounty Hunter 4
Evade
Rolling Fire
Twin Attack
Survival Expert

Force Powers
Force 2

I would start this character at about 39 points. See how it fits into the squads that you want to play it in. It could cost as much as 44, but I don't think it will need to be that much.
Bazkul
Posted: Monday, June 19, 2023 10:05:16 PM

Thanks for the input. FYI, my initial calculation put the cost at approximately 39.27 points. I was gonna put it at 40, just to make sure I wasn't going too low. Good to see I wasn't too far off the mark. (This is exactly what I was looking for, an unbiased cost analysis to compare my results to.) So again, thanks.

I'll add more when I get them done.
Cassus fett
Posted: Tuesday, June 20, 2023 4:39:03 AM

What's the rarity? Believe it or not, that does affect the cost, also if the character is Fringe add 2 to the cost. Assuming Fringe and Rare, I concur with high 30's, 37-39.
Bazkul
Posted: Tuesday, June 20, 2023 11:37:13 AM

I guess rarity would be Rare. As far as Faction, taking inspiration from surf_rider56, I'm making a BLACK SUN sub-faction (with a slight variation of his card template). I'll try to add pics later, once I have several completed.
dreadtech
Posted: Thursday, November 23, 2023 10:48:26 PM

Yes making custom stats is a cool pastime.

However while using custom stats is ok for long time players, it not if teaching new players.

I have also started teaching a new player at my club, I didn't even use Vsets to begin with. As these are custom stats even if by someone else.

If using a part of a RPG group, it better at least to start with, to transfer a excising character stats over to your own mini. At least until you have a much better understanding of cost for characters.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, November 24, 2023 2:26:55 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

dreadtech wrote:
Yes making custom stats is a cool pastime.

However while using custom stats is ok for long time players, it not if teaching new players.

Agree with this. The main reason is just that custom stats and Vset stats tend to be more complex than WotC stats. There's a natural reason for this... custom and Vset stats have their main goal (usually) to be interesting. There's a strong correlation between complexity and being interesting. For teaching, simplicity is much more important.
Bazkul
Posted: Monday, February 19, 2024 6:28:28 PM

Thanks all for the responses. Just to clarify, I listed my "teaching of new players" and "making my own customs" as separate points above. Some may have mistakenly interpreted that I use customs to teach with. I have played all manner of games (card, miniature, etc) for 30+ years. I have definitely experienced problems with those teaching me, while using custom/house rules, and then trying to play tournaments and/or experienced players. So, for those whom have provided constructive critques, rest assured I am already on the same page as you. Customs are only utilized for my players that are already acclimated to the rules.
It's been a busy time since my last post, but hopefully I can get my other characters up soon, to show off and to get feedback/suggestions on stats. Until then, thank you all for your assistance, and MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU, ALWAYS!