RegisterDonateLogin

Range 6

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Viability of 3D printing minis? Options
harryg
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2024 6:12:44 AM
Groups: Member

Has anyone looked into this as the technology becomes more affordable and advanced?
dreadtech
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2024 10:04:13 AM

Yes, I've been 3d printing SW minis now for over a year.

Is it worth it? Yes as long as you are doing for it yourself or yourself and your play group.

Not as worth it if you intend to sell on places like Ebay. Why? Far to many sellers already doing that which very much dilutes the designers out there. By that i mean many have stopped over recent months due to falling subs on there pateron sites.

Cost effective? Well works out cheaper than buying custom made pre-done figure's individually.

There are many free to download STl's on many site for you get get at no extra cost. Downside to that is you have to put in your own supports. For free ones just google free STL miniatures.

Many designers such as Black Remnant give you both supported and un-supported stls for there minins. Many characters already represent Vsets. For $10 a months you get around 15 figures each month. However there are many other venders beside BR. I just think he is the best designer and the most value for money.
N3rdSl4y3r
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2024 8:26:20 AM

It's a great way to make customs and new pieces!

I agree Black Remnant makes some great files, I also like the files from Skull Forge Studios. These are both designed in Legion scale, so I scale them down about 90-92% to best match.

If you are not wanting to get into printing yourself there are several good places you can get stuff printed. I would recommend Xometry or Fictiv, they are some good on demand printing that can make the files that you buy. You'd want them done in SLA technology, that would give the best details.
dreadtech
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2024 12:54:17 PM

Sorry to say Black Remnant called it a day today and has stopped making new characters. his Gumroad site will also lilkey go down as soon as his sub for Gumroad runs out. As such anyone still looking to buy any of his figures needs to do so soon.

Best designer out there, and will be missed.