RegisterDonateLogin

I have you now!

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Custom Rules for 3-player Games Options
Darth O
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2009 1:53:47 PM
Groups: Member

Right, where should I start?

Every holiday or two-ish, I get to have about a week with my best friend who lives in a galaxy far, far away ( 6h drive), and he has a collection roughly the same size as mine, so we enjoy it heaps. Well, this time he come down south to our place in Napier. I often play with one of my other mates, except he doesn't have any minis, so we are slightly limited. We decided to all play together, pooling our collections. We came up with the following rules...

Everyone builds a squad, ignoring eras. Then we all roll a d20. Lowest roll places one character on any square/s on the map, Then the next-lowest roll, and finally the highest one. Then we place figures in that order until all figures are on the map. Ok, time for initiative. This is basic, just all roll the die like in a normal game. Whoever gets the highest roll decides the order of all 3 players. If the initiative goes, for example, 15,15,7, the two highest would reroll, the winner being the higher of those. When we first tried this, it eventually became 2v1 because of treaties, making everything unfair Sad . So, you can muck around with the basic idea of this rule: You must attack a different player each phase, if it doesn't provoke cover.

Of course, feel free to modify any of this, and let me know what you think ( maybe even jot down how it went).

Cheers.
Mickey
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2009 2:04:05 PM

I've played several of these and some 4 player games. We used 1 or 2 maps and then rolled for initiative like normal. Low roll placed first and then up. We usually designated "corners" as starting areas as long as you couldn't shoot first turn.

We've also used a sheet of plywood and thrown out terrain counters. We used a tape measure for measuring movement where 1" = 1 grid. We also had a house rule that for every 12" there was a -1 attack penalty for range. I have a few styrofoam packing pieces that make good buildings. I love the feel of 3D maps.

Then we played normally activating like the rules state. These were usually rumbles and the only time someone would temporarily side with another person if they were both getting mauled.

Casual gaming is a very fun thing to do ThumbsUp
kimble29
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2009 3:29:17 PM

I love playing multi-player but it always seems to end up with two people engaging and the third sweeps in late to mop up the pieces. Since most of my casual games are usually to the death it tends to steal a bit of the fun of playing aggressive. I think a good rule is to always go high score wins rather than last player standing to counter this at least a little. Another option is to play Light Side vs Dark Side with the 3rd playing fringe. Fringe player always helps the losing side so they constanly shift back and forth and Sided player don't score points for Fringe kills. So you have to choose between taking out a potential future threat or concentrate on points.
SavageJediExile
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2009 5:55:38 PM

i play alot of 3 people battles. with my brother and uncle, but we play a 2 on 1. the two on a team only go to 100 pts. each or combined 200 pts. its a last man standing no gambit. its always fun to team up on someone or to win both players
Draconarius
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2009 6:56:53 PM

kimble29 wrote:
I love playing multi-player but it always seems to end up with two people engaging and the third sweeps in late to mop up the pieces.

I hate 3-player battles because of this, and I haven't seen it go away even when using points instead of kill-em-all. All the guy who's holding back has to do is wait until some big pieces are nearly dead, then swoop in and steal the points with almost no risk to his own forces. Glare I don't think there's a fair way to do it, personally. The game just isn't built for it.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Saturday, August 29, 2009 6:25:00 AM

i have yet to find a good map that supports 3 player games.
its easier if you are doing 2 on 2 i suppose, but just takes longer.
im always the one who rolls the lowest, and that means i have to set up somewhere in the middle so i can get creamed 2-3 initiatives later. i end up grabbing the most points, but i never survive long enough to tell the tale, especially if we are playing last man standing.
i try to avoid 3 player games at all costs now.
kfc's waiting for you
Posted: Saturday, August 29, 2009 7:42:57 AM

i've heard of a couple of different ways:

for a 3 way, each person makes 2 squads, so it's like 3 1on1 games going on at the same time.

or

get all the cards in one pile and shuffle them, and there's the initiative order for each character for that round. round ends then shuffle again.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Saturday, August 29, 2009 7:47:02 AM

kfc's waiting for you wrote:
i've heard of a couple of different ways:

for a 3 way, each person makes 2 squads, so it's like 3 1on1 games going on at the same time.

or

get all the cards in one pile and shuffle them, and there's the initiative order for each character for that round. round ends then shuffle again.

i like the first idea alot!ThumpUp

the second idea, well, all of my cards are either in top loaders or magnetic protectors, so shuffling is out of the question.
bkchi
Posted: Thursday, September 3, 2009 6:07:47 AM

The Rebel Storm and Clone Strike rulebooks laid out how to do 3 player games, but I don't recall most of the particulars. The setup was like so:

..................XXXX
..................XXXX
..................XXXX
..................XXXX
XXXX..................
XXXX..................
XXXX..................
XXXX..................
..................XXXX
..................XXXX
..................XXXX
..................XXXX

The three players all roll for initiative, highest roll wins. Activation goes to the left, I believe, or clockwise. The game is over when you've defeated the number of points that you're playing, i.e., 100 point squads, first player to defeat 100 points worth of figures wins.
exarsqueeks
Posted: Monday, September 7, 2009 12:40:09 AM

We tried this and it seems much better. For 3player roll for ini highest roll wins gameplay goes in direction of second highest roll. 4 player we have 2 games going on the same map and the winners meet in the middle. We had to deal with master tacticion and we had him determine both who went first and direction of play. This felt alot more competative but also kept the game random.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Monday, September 7, 2009 7:13:20 AM

i always keep it going clockwise.
master tactician is a pain in the neck though, but if someone else has MT or NTMTO, then it makes it run smoother.
coming out in the middle of the map always sux for anyone comming out of it.
i cant tell you how many times this Wabbit has been Dogpiled upon.