RegisterDonateLogin

Who's scruffy-looking?

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

advice on a trade and reshaping minis? Options
shatterpoint7
Posted: Tuesday, October 6, 2009 1:44:39 PM
Groups: Member

A couple of weeks ago, cicrush traded me nihilus for vader unleashed. The base for nihilus is a warped so he wobbles, which for some reason really bugs me. Then he gave the option of sending that nihilus back for a better one, and I declined because it wasn’t worth paying the shipping again. I gave him good feedback, because I thought it wasn’t worth the drama, but I’m now rethinking my decision. any thoughts any what I should do/should have done? I just wish cicrush had noticed before hand.

And if I should keep him: anyone know a way to permanently reshape the base of nihilus?
DarthJak
Posted: Tuesday, October 6, 2009 1:59:45 PM

Try putting the figure in very warm water, then bend it back into shape.
I saw this thick on a wizards thread.
adminsidious
Posted: Tuesday, October 6, 2009 2:20:58 PM

Very Warm, and too hot, can be a narrow line, be careful with that! (I only make this warning after watching a guy try and boil a heroclick back into place, the result was..unpleasant.)

A good idea is to get some unneeded common stock, and try heating and reshaping some of them with the warm/hot water approach. That way if you slag or warp a figure past the solid point, you're not out a Nihilus.

Once you know what you're doing, then resculpt. :)
Mickey
Posted: Tuesday, October 6, 2009 2:50:37 PM

I've found 30 secs in my microwave is warm enough. I then drop the fig into the water and let it rest on the bottom of the glass. After a few seconds it usually bends itself back into place. Then it is important to take it out and put it into cold water to quickly harden it. I have found that on some the paint has chipped off doing this. I suggest not handling it too much while it is warm as that will rub off any paint that is not cured well.
adminsidious
Posted: Tuesday, October 6, 2009 3:15:31 PM

Mickey wrote:
I've found 30 secs in my microwave is warm enough. I then drop the fig into the water and let it rest on the bottom of the glass. After a few seconds it usually bends itself back into place. Then it is important to take it out and put it into cold water to quickly harden it. I have found that on some the paint has chipped off doing this. I suggest not handling it too much while it is warm as that will rub off any paint that is not cured well.

Have you tried this on any of the bigger figures perchance? I've not done it with any, but I have some larger droids that came just mangled in the packs. I know sometimes larger figures=harder plastic, but I don't when it comes to WoTC.
Mickey
Posted: Wednesday, October 7, 2009 12:12:12 AM

I've only done the smaller pieces. Another way I have done this is to run warm water directly out of the tap over the area that needs reshaping until it is pliable enough to move. That might work better with a huge piece. It's still plastic and still has the same physical properties.
Biggsy
Posted: Wednesday, October 7, 2009 2:40:41 AM

DarthLegend
Posted: Wednesday, October 7, 2009 11:47:28 AM

DarthJak wrote:
Try putting the figure in very warm water, then bend it back into shape.
I saw this thick on a wizards thread.

yea its true..that works really well !!