RegisterDonateLogin

Was never a condition of our arrangement.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Mini Manager :( Options
TK-4334
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2009 1:45:25 AM
Groups: Member

Hey Guys,

We all like and love the swmini Manager, i´m really sad that the new sets don´t show the old quality from the manager. Bad Pictures, wrong or uncomplete stat´s, lot of mistakes. And all newer sets under this one button.

Whats going wrong there ?

I would pay for the download if it has the old quality.

What do u think?
mercenary_moose
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2009 3:55:45 AM

Who needs Mini Manager when you have Bloo Milk?
dnemiller
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2009 4:59:04 AM

well I think the OP likes mini manager for several reasons.

As great is bloomilk is as a squad building resource it is limited. Just as mini manager is limited.

Biggest thing mini manager has on bloomilk is the fact you dont need an internet connection to access or build squads. This is huge for me because when I take my laptop to my lgs, they have no wifi/internet access. So bloomilk is not very helpful for me there. So I dont think dismissing the OP's concerns is really that helpful.

@OP

Chuck Monarch who wrote and designed mini manager back in the day has retired from playing minis. So he no longer actively updates the program. There is a guy on wizards that is working on updating it. I dont know if he will be addressing your concerns with his newest update or not. I share your concerns also because I miss the open booster option for the new sets. I would check on wizards and contact the guy.
lukey84
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2009 5:08:45 AM

i love MManager because i dont have to go online to do it.
Jediabiwan
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2009 5:24:02 AM

I too love the fact that you don't have to be online to use it. I also think that the squad building with mini manager is much easier and faster.
TK-4334
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2009 7:24:21 AM

I agree i like the manager because, it is "mine".
If bloomilk is down we got a big Problem.
Its much faster and easeer to work with.
swinefeld
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2009 7:48:23 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I would imagine the GAW stats/images will be updated after the set officially releases.

I think (based on things I read when Chuck Monarch announced his retirement) that the guy who is updating it now is limited in what he can with it programming-wise. By that I mean that he can add new pieces/stats etc but probably can't change the interface (add buttons and such).

Hence, all the new stuff is lumped under the one button so that only some background data files have to be changed/added when new sets come out.

It's a little harder to use than before, but I'm happy it has survived so far...
bkchi
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2009 2:12:51 PM

Hey, guys. I'm working with Sathenus on taking over the SWMM. I'm writing a program to help generate the stats. Once it's done the stats on JA, the map packs, and GaW should be accurate. Be sure to download the latest files for JA and the map packs, as there have been a lot of updates done to fix bad stats.

-Don
swinefeld
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2009 2:18:25 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Awesome! Your work is greatly appreciated BlooMilk
bkchi
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2009 5:49:35 PM

swinefeld wrote:
Awesome! Your work is greatly appreciated BlooMilk

I appreciate that, but we haven't put in a fraction of the work that Chuck put in, and he still does updates and fixes for us even though he doesn't play the game! I recommend that everyone that enjoys the SWMM send Chuck a few bucks, he earned it.
Mickey
Posted: Sunday, October 18, 2009 12:04:35 PM

I can't say enough how wonderful the program is and without I would be lost making a squad. I thought I had seen somewhere someone was going to rewrite the entire program to make updating it easier. I know I saw a thread once on WoTC asking for input. You guys could make a mint if you charged for the download. You could at least make some money back for your time and charge a few bucks for it.
sathenus
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2009 4:26:14 AM

TK-4334 wrote:
We all like and love the swmini Manager, i´m really sad that the new sets don´t show the old quality from the manager. Bad Pictures, wrong or uncomplete stat´s, lot of mistakes. And all newer sets under this one button.

Whats going wrong there ?

I would pay for the download if it has the old quality.

What do u think?

I think that you're not aware of what's gone on with the MiniManager. As some
of the folks have correctly responded, Chuck is no longer involved in collecting
the Star Wars Minis as his sons have grown and are no longer interested. So he
contacted a few of us that had been helping him and asked if we'd be interested
in taking over the maintenance of the MiniManager. As he didn't want anyone
messing with the source code, we have very limited access to what we can do.
All new sets will show up under the Display Dynamic Miniatures button, alphabetically
by set name. I did ask for more access, but I believe Chuck thought granting
that would have created more work in the long run.

With regard to "bad pictures", I try to post pictures of the new minis as soon as
I get them, rather than waiting for the official pictures from Wizards. The same
goes for the stats. Most of this information comes from other collectors. I do try
to keep the info as current as possible. As the end of each new posting I ask that
if anyone finds any errors that they let me know.

Regarding paying for the download- that's always been an option. Chuck incorporated
a PayPal button into the MiniManager, and that goes to Chuck, not to me or anyone
else, as well it should. Chuck did all the development and most of the support for this
program and when he realized that he didn't want to leave those of us using it high
and dry he set up a way for a few of us to keep it going. He will help out if we're
really stuck with a problem. So please feel free to donate- as a show of appreciation
for all Chuck's work in the past if nothing else (He also had a Dungeons & Dragons
MiniManager in the past).

I've just made an update to the MiniManager files as of October 19th, which has
almost all the current updates. I don't really use Bloo Milk myself, but seeing as
some of you here use the MiniManager I'll post a thread to announce the updates
here as well going forward. As bkchi has said, he's developing a program that will
generate the necessary info for the MiniManager. However, since he'll be running
that only once the set has actually released, I'll update the known stats manually
prior to the actual release.

Sathenus