RegisterDonateLogin

Finds your lack of faith disturbing.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Pilots of SWM Options
dalsiandon
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 3:53:24 AM
Groups: Member

This game has a lot of pilots, but a lot less then you'd think. Waaaaaaayyyyyyy back in Rebel Storm the pilot first hit the table with the the Rebel Pilot. We now to date have 17 figures with the pilot ability, 3 characters whose name soley contains the name pilot, and one commander for pilots without the ability, or word in his name. Out of all of them only 6 of them are not unique. You can add one more if we want to include the new Ground Pilot ability.

So as I perused and studied the pilots I was trying to detrimin which one was the best. I had to take a bit into consideration. There are CE's designed soley for pilots, there are CE's that indirectly help them in, others that help everyone, and they fit that group, and in some cases a fig that can stand on it's own. For example, the great Commander that is thrawn, depending on which you choose, he grants a stat bonus or an attack and damage bonus ability. Not to shabby. Xixor the dark prince gave rebel pilots grenades 20 for the skrimish, and now any pilot hanging out with Odd Ball can too.

But before I get to who I think is the best, I shall name who I think is the worst, and my favorite questionable choice. Oh, and who that should have it, but doesn't and it's not who you think. (although he should too).

So the worst, Carth Onasi, any arguments against this one? I didn't think so.

Head scratcher, Darth Krayt? Was he just a cut and past from someone else has suggested?

WHo should but doesn't? Baron Fel, leader of the 181. But like Wedge from the same set that is Universe, it was an undeveloped unknown element. But he did have a Combine Fire CE for what it was worth.

My runner up, Arica/Mara Jade, she was an expert Pilot, and the ability would have added her in a couple of ways.

Honorable Mention, Nein Numb, Lando was actually flying the ship, but Nein Numb was there, so.... we can also consider it a Universe Set issue, after all Pilot was not yet an ability, and Fel and Wedge both didn't have it either.

So point for point who do I think is the best pilot, well, I have to go with the Clone Trooper Pilot Why? Because of a few things. 1) A non-unique republic follower. Good Ce's, and rapport and mobile attack from the queen of naboo. 2) Cost, it's the same cost as a base clone trooper, but better stats and abilites. 3) Counts as both a Pilot and a trooper, consider the CE pool for troopers, and for Pilots. (The next sentince is under review) He also qualifies for rapport from Cody. 4) Order 66, not regulary meaningful, but this allows him access to the empire and Jagged Fel's awesome CE for pilots, oh, and all the other great Imperial follower and trooper based CE's. The republic has a few nice CE's too especially for Order 66 these days.

I didn't choose a power beatstick like the newest Vader LOTF, or the glass cannon multi fire Luke Hero of Yavin. Nope, a lowley 9 point clone.

Just my thoughts on the Pilots of SWM
Weeks
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 4:24:07 AM

I think the best pilot is Luke, Hoth Pilot Unleashed. He's a great shooter and 40 damage in line of sight is scary and he's only 28 points.

The only real pilot ce's i see used are Jag Fel/Dash rendar RS combo. and really old wedge that gives pilots evade.

I never understood the ability there are way to many pieces that get nothing from pilot exept the word on the card. Maybe they have someone coming that will help out pilots.
Hydrowhip
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 4:53:38 AM

The 181st from IE with Jagged Fel are a pretty nice little combo, but its also nice to see the new pilots from the GaW set. This new guy gives the Republic some piloting fun for Odd Ball.

I agree with the Nien Numb, but wouldn't Chewbacca then fall into the pilot catagory?

And why do two sith have pilot?

dalsiandon
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 5:03:39 AM

Weeks wrote:
I think the best pilot is Luke, Hoth Pilot Unleashed. He's a great shooter and 40 damage in line of sight is scary and he's only 28 points.

The only real pilot ce's i see used are Jag Fel/Dash rendar RS combo. and really old wedge that gives pilots evade.

I never understood the ability there are way to many pieces that get nothing from pilot exept the word on the card. Maybe they have someone coming that will help out pilots.

Your first comment I will not bother. It is a valid argument.

Jagged is by far the most common seen pilot commander. Heck he's 10 points and one of the best figs for that cost in the game. Honestly I don't think there is a better fig for that cost period. And his gregarious CE is awesome, it's easy to use, and very helpful.

And for your final remark. I think your correct. Pilot is very underused, but we have seen a few very nice CE's for pilots only. Jagged as menitoned a few sets back, and now with Odd Ball, he offers pilots some very nice ammenities. Consider Anakin on Stap, now he has penetration 20, and DR is a none issue. Just consider the new B3 Ultra Battle droid, it has DR10, well with Odd Ball and pilots, it's 60 hp wont hold for long, and before someone say well Captian Rex can do it in 1 activations, I say so what. He's not a pilot. A scrub figure that can do som nice amounts of damage is always nice to have.
kingsknight
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 5:30:00 AM

Damage Reduction is actually a non-issue for Anakin on STAP if he's strafe-ing, as he has a lightsaber, but I can see it's use for regular attacks at a distance. As far as pilots go, I think I like Anakin Solo the best as he has a decent commander effect he can receive with it and is an interesting figure himself.
dalsiandon
Posted: Friday, October 23, 2009 4:16:45 AM

Gee and I though this would have had a little more umph...oh well.
Mickey
Posted: Friday, October 23, 2009 5:44:04 AM

It would be nice to see some errata on some to add pilot.
harmonm4
Posted: Friday, October 23, 2009 5:54:23 AM

Mickey wrote:
It would be nice to see some errata on some to add pilot.

It would also be nice to see a little more synergy for pilots by giving them access to some AMAZING abilities.

You know, something a little more like the black sun which can be made semi-competitively (Tier 2 maybe). They have alread solid minis (TBSV and BBSV), but then they have access to outstanding abilities via Xizor.

Maybe a fringe pilot commander that gives pilots flight, charging assault and momentum. Something with flight and speed would make sense.

Could you immagine Legacy Vader with that?
saber1
Posted: Friday, October 23, 2009 6:35:18 AM

In my GALACTIC CONQUEST custom set I posted in the customs forum I incorporated a Pilot sub-theme as I wanted to build upon that underutilized special ability. Gilad Pelleaon and Baron Fel are a couple of examples. Check it out, if you like. I appreciate feedback.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Forums/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=2872