RegisterDonateLogin

The perfect complement to Wookiee Cookiees.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Question about grenades... Options
SithflyonBasilisks
Posted: Sunday, November 8, 2009 10:01:24 PM
Groups: Member

Ok, here is my question. If you are running oddball that gives pilot followers grenades 20 (for example) could you use a rodian trader to give them grenades 10 and make it grenades 30?

At first I thought no, because I though it would be stacking, but once I thought about it, Oddball's is a commander effects for pilots and the traders 'nades are an ability.
swinefeld
Posted: Sunday, November 8, 2009 11:37:19 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

No, this would indeed fall under the stacking rule.

The Rodian's SA and Oddball's CE grant the character a named ability - Grenades [X]. The [X] part does not affect the rule about the name part.

Think of it like the example of Luke Rebel Commando, who has cunning attack, and get's Cunning +20 from Crix Madine. He get's the higher bonus, not both added together.
Biggsy
Posted: Monday, November 9, 2009 2:02:31 AM

Technically, wouldn't he have both the grenades 10 and the grenades 20 ability as these are abilities and not bonuses?
Mickey
Posted: Monday, November 9, 2009 3:21:56 AM

The ability is grenades. The amount is just how good the ability is.

Another note that confused the heck out of some of my friends is that larger base figs have more adjacent locations. Keep that in mind when moving your own.
SithflyonBasilisks
Posted: Monday, November 9, 2009 5:29:53 AM

so to take this even futher, would this able able to be done if need be: Pilot, oddball- Grenades 20, rodian makes it nades 30, and a traning Sergent makes it nades 60?
kenred2
Posted: Monday, November 9, 2009 5:39:08 AM

SithflyonBasilisks wrote:
so to take this even futher, would this able able to be done if need be: Pilot, oddball- Grenades 20, rodian makes it nades 30, and a traning Sergent makes it nades 60?

Having the same ability that grants grenades, such as the Rodian Trader and Oddball towards a "Pilot" character would violate the stacking of the 2 abilities (it is shown you needed to choose higher of the 2 ability). If Oddball is defeated, only then can the Rodian Trader would start granting your pilot ally a Grenades 10. But during the game if you control both Rodian trader and Oddball, the Rodian trader won't be able to grant a pilot character the Grenades 10 ability.

However, it is allowed that once Rodian Trader grants a character "grenades 10" for a Republic Commando, Training Sergeant's CE checks, granting that Republic Commando 30 grenades.
TK-4334
Posted: Monday, November 9, 2009 5:44:46 AM

Abilitys with the same name do not stack. That´s fact.
Draconarius
Posted: Monday, November 9, 2009 1:37:25 PM

kenred2 wrote:
SithflyonBasilisks wrote:

Having the same ability that grants grenades, such as the Rodian Trader and Oddball towards a "Pilot" character would violate the stacking of the 2 abilities (it is shown you needed to choose higher of the 2 ability). If Oddball is defeated, only then can the Rodian Trader would start granting your pilot ally a Grenades 10. But during the game if you control both Rodian trader and Oddball, the Rodian trader won't be able to grant a pilot character the Grenades 10 ability.

However, it is allowed that once Rodian Trader grants a character "grenades 10" for a Republic Commando, Training Sergeant's CE checks, granting that Republic Commando 30 grenades.

Just to elaborate a litte: There is actually nothing stopping you from giving Grenades 10 with the Rodian Trader to any unit you want, even one that already has a higher Grenades. However, because the rules clearly state that no ability ever stacks with itself, you only get to use the biggest version of the Grenades ability, in this case, Grenades 20. The Grenades 10 would be a backup to be used only after Oddball is killed.

The RCTS complicates things a little, though. This is gonna sound confusing, and I could be wrong, but I don't think that getting a bigger version of an ability makes you lose the smaller one; you just can't use the smaller one.

If that is right, then I'm thinking it would work something like this:

Pilot + Oddball = The Pilot now has Grenades 20.

Add Rodian = The pilot now has Grenades 10 & Grenades 20. Stacking rules means you can only use the biggest ability, currenlty Grenades 20.

Add RCTS = Grenades 10 is turned into Grenades 30. The pilot now has Grenades 20 & Grenades 30. Stacking rules means you can only use the biggest ability, which is now Grenades 30.

Or am I just overthinking this?
obsidian7788
Posted: Monday, November 9, 2009 2:19:12 PM

what if in some situations you would want to use those weaker grenades. say on something with self destruct.
EmporerDragon
Posted: Monday, November 9, 2009 3:22:54 PM

obsidian7788 wrote:
what if in some situations you would want to use those weaker grenades. say on something with self destruct.

You can't. The highest bonus would always be in effect.