RegisterDonateLogin

Caamasi Noble: "Im in ur Gambit Zone, scoring ur Victory Points."

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

resale Options
Xeonaught
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2009 4:20:59 PM
Groups: Member

ok so me and my mate were out at like 10:30 the other night when my mate said....

"I cant wait to sell my collection and get more then what i payed for"

Now I was thinking to myself that yea that would be fantastic for this guy cus hes quite low on cash most of the time

But then I thought

"What if they don't sell. I mean how do we know swm will be worth anything in 5, 10 even 20 years. will the game still be going strong and because we jumped in when we did we have pieces from sets dating back to Rebal storm. My collection is worth $1275. But will it be worth more if not less then that when I go to sell it. Do miniatures appreciate in value?"

What do you think the future holds for our collections.

P.S Im not keen to sell atm, if anything i wana keep em so that ill find them in the cuboard one day in like 20 years but yea what do you reacon?
Joasht
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2009 4:25:57 PM

Unless you play to invest or have unholy luck with good figures or found a buyer with too much money to spend, I don't think its possible to sell with a profit. In general anytime you start a hobby (particularly a collectable one), you have to see it as a loss of money.
kenred2
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2009 4:45:26 PM

If you are a Star Wars fan...

Star Wars Miniatures = Priceless
kezzamachine
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2009 4:58:56 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Mortuus, I'll give you $20 for your whole collection... nah, make it $30 - final offer!
greentime
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2009 6:17:30 PM

Minis are not an investment -- as others have said, they're a hobby. And a darn fun one! If you want to buy something that will appreciate, look at the stock market.

For an interesting example, look now further than Star Wars CCG. When it was the second-largest CCG in the country, and honestly pressing Magic, cards like the original Darth Vader sold for almost triple digits. Immediately after it went out of print, people gave up their entire collections for free, traded them for almost nothing, or sold them for a song. Now EIGHT YEARS after it went out of print, there is still a thriving player base that keeps it alive and certain cards are once again worth around $50. A box of Coruscant or Reflections III or Death Star II will cost several hundred dollars. But there's no way to predict how all that kind of stuff will ever work out, and timing is everything. Heck, the very valuable Magic cards (power nine) are valuable primarily because the first run was so small -- Wizards didn't expect it to be a smash hit so they didn't make that much at first. Now a top-quality Black Lotus or Mox XYZ costs hundreds if not thousands of dollars. But if you buy today's Magic set hoping to make money off of it, you're fooling yourself. There are thousands of even the rarest cards printed, and people now take special care to save and preserve the good stuff. The rarity that is necessary to really drive prices up just doesn't exist.

Tell your buddy that saving and investing, boring as they may be, are the path to wealth, not hoping to strike it rich on collectibles. Motley Fool and John Boggle are highly recommended resources for how to build a pile of money. Plus that way when you drop a hundred bucks on a case of the latest set, you don't feel bad because you know you can still pay the rent, buy food, and all that other noise.
Xeonaught
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2009 8:33:45 PM

lol ill think it over machine.

Yea i get where you guys are coming from and i didnt get into the game for an investment.

oh well i supose ill keep my collection for a long time. kinda like when you go through old boxes and find your old high school class photos and smile at the memories.
TK-4334
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2009 11:14:56 PM

Ok i think if u are a SW Fan the minis are priceless.
I dont´t think that u can get back all the money u spend once if u sell them. u can´t deal profit but u´ll get back 75% of your money at the moment.
If the game should die, there will be a other market from people who collect them. For diorama or just to have them.

My dealer said since there are the 40 Mini Sets the sales volume is still higher than ever.(worldwide)
The kids are infected by CW.

Whatever, its STAR WARS it will never die. Heart
engineer
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2009 12:46:24 AM

I've played several collectible games.

I lost my shirt (money wise) on MK. I had a blast playing.

I made money playing MW. I learned how to trade and selling LE's was huge. IMO, LE's killed that game (and the 2.0 reboot was handled poorly).

DDM was just about a wash. I traded my stuff for SWM figs.

SWM is free to play.

WaS is also a great game (I pay to play this game).

At any time if you can get anyone to pay for parts of your collection, sell it. It will NEVER be worth more than it is right now.
DarthJak
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2009 12:59:02 AM

VR are only minis that have gone up in any real value.
It's just supply and demand.

If you buy a booster at retail ($15) and don't pull a VR you've lost money from an "investment" standpoint.
At time of release, an estimated value of minis would be:
VR $17
R $5
UC $1
C $.50

So with a value of $6-$8 for the UC & C pieces, you'll need a VR to come out ahead.

As far as SWM as an "investment", get the VR at time of release, and hold on until their
value has doubled.
mercenary_moose
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2009 3:52:25 AM

greentime wrote:
Minis are not an investment -- as others have said, they're a hobby. And a darn fun one! If you want to buy something that will appreciate, look at the stock market.

For an interesting example, look now further than Star Wars CCG. When it was the second-largest CCG in the country, and honestly pressing Magic, cards like the original Darth Vader sold for almost triple digits. Immediately after it went out of print, people gave up their entire collections for free, traded them for almost nothing, or sold them for a song. Now EIGHT YEARS after it went out of print, there is still a thriving player base that keeps it alive and certain cards are once again worth around $50. A box of Coruscant or Reflections III or Death Star II will cost several hundred dollars. But there's no way to predict how all that kind of stuff will ever work out, and timing is everything. Heck, the very valuable Magic cards (power nine) are valuable primarily because the first run was so small -- Wizards didn't expect it to be a smash hit so they didn't make that much at first. Now a top-quality Black Lotus or Mox XYZ costs hundreds if not thousands of dollars. But if you buy today's Magic set hoping to make money off of it, you're fooling yourself. There are thousands of even the rarest cards printed, and people now take special care to save and preserve the good stuff. The rarity that is necessary to really drive prices up just doesn't exist.

Well, I've never played SWCCG, but it's an interesting analogy. Good post.
carnorjax1
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2009 1:54:32 PM

I would honestly say the prices would go down, just because more older pieces would get replaced and their prices would go down. Look at Rebel Storm pieces now and imagine those in ten years.
Squid89
Posted: Sunday, November 15, 2009 1:05:51 AM

The way I see it, there has been such a flooding of SW products over the past five years, that collectors are swamped with choices. If we haven't gotten into collecting minis yet, it probably won't happen in a few years either. When the game does finally come to an end, there will most likely be a bunch of players-only who sell off their stuff when the game stales for them and the market gets flooded again.

I don't see a better time to sell off pieces, if profit (or at least no loss) is the only concern. I seriously doubt the value will increase whether my other predictions come true or not.
TK-4334
Posted: Sunday, November 15, 2009 2:41:06 AM

Realise, if u are smoking u need 4€ for a packet of cigarettes the day. So u spend 1460 € at one year for smoking and the disprofit is 100 %.