RegisterDonateLogin

Apply directly to the forehead.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Thinking too hard on teams (back to the basics) Options
ewokballs88
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2009 6:41:15 AM
Groups: Member

Not sure which section this should go in but im goin to just put it in general. I started this thread to see how many people were thinking the same way as I am. I was looking at some of the highest ranked teams for 200 pts. when I noticed they didnt have some of the basics. Yes, they have great commander effects, but they often waste too many points on commanders when you could use it on a beatstick piece that will keep your shooters alive twice as long or an override piece.

So go ahead and comment on your ideas about making teams.
trick624
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2009 7:12:59 AM

i think the amount of options is what leads to this. people tend to think of how much damage they can take off first, and lose in the defensive battle. Granted boosting offense is way easier than boosting defense.

The game has a lot of options, a lot of it comes down to rolling now adays.
Sithborg
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2009 7:22:20 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

Meh, I don't look at the top squads. It is a common thing I see when I do rate squads that they try to put too many commanders in.
carnorjax1
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2009 7:33:15 AM

I generally prefer rebels, as they are cheap, effective, and they have great team synergy.
Wysten
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2009 7:37:35 AM

Aye, it tends to be harder to oversupport an army then undersupport it, but apprently some people are managing to do that. easpically in the 300 and up lists, where it's focused on many units rather then few. Once you get to that level, a unique charcter becomes much less importent.

I can't see how people keep making that fundimental mistake, 1/5/ 3/10's should be commander effects (Unless they are stunningly good figures) 1/5 2/5's should be the wipeout units, units who's sole perpose is to wipe out grunts, and grunts should be 2/5 or more then 1/5, more so at 500 to provide the basic firepower and tend to make up the bulk of the actual armys volume due to small individal costs, hence completely out damaging unique charcters.

Anyways, yeah, it depends really. Small squads don't nessiarily need a huge bulk of attackers when a well timed speeder/Yobuck can tear right through their ranks and be called back. On paper, Black and Blue squads look terrible (Just vader and Dash? Is that all the attackers you have? O_o;) But fight in such a way that while they don't have the firepower overall, can create fury of small attacks in a area that is enough to completely overwhem that compoment. While probably around half of the points are held in a small number of pieces, it makes them optimal to do it well. Balience is not really needed on small level play, just enough concentrated firepower to win the battles they pick before the other side can engage them.
ewokballs88
Posted: Friday, January 1, 2010 6:01:09 AM

yah black and blue i would say is an exception to not having defense. because your attacker rarely gets hit anyways haha.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Friday, January 1, 2010 6:23:28 AM

what gets me is alot of squads dont even use the essentials, like Override and Uggs.