RegisterDonateLogin

Sith tested, Mothma approved.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Ko Sai, Clone Master Options
Darth Chaos
Posted: Saturday, January 16, 2010 11:33:11 AM
Groups: Member

Ko Sai is the Kaminoan responsible for the cloning process that created the Grand Army of the Republic. She stands out in the Karen Traviss novels, and since we love Karen Traviss, we made Ko Sai.

We borrowed the idea from darthraven. Here's the original. We really liked the idea of removing the "Unique" restriction, but wanted a more accessible mini for the purposes of gameplay - ours is the Kaminoan Ascetic. So, thanks to darthraven, and if you don't like the Special Ability, send all complaints to him.

As a side note, this is our first card with the new red logo!

Anyway, let me know if it looks good or if it needs some tweaking.

You can find our custom cards here:

DARK SIDE's Custom Minis Thread

Some cards have been updated recently after play testing, so check it out.

DC
Darth O
Posted: Saturday, January 16, 2010 4:23:14 PM

I had the same idea a little while ago. This guy is overcosting by quite some margin despite what he does for your squad. I would say drop the cost by at least 10, but I do think the execution is quite good :)
JFisto
Posted: Sunday, January 17, 2010 2:24:52 AM

way over costed
qvos
Posted: Sunday, January 17, 2010 2:33:24 AM

Overcosted, but supercool. And we do love Karen Travis's Novels
Wysten
Posted: Sunday, January 17, 2010 9:24:38 AM

2 Jet Obi-Wan Clones? Obi-Wan Jet-pack with 2 captain Rexes? O_O; I don't even want to think of all the Wickets, Jar-Jar Binxs going about. >_<; LOL

Personally though, I don't really think there is a way to make this figure balienced. Out of all the unique charcters, I would imagine there would be a few that would be really broken if they could pair up. I would imagine Jar-Jar would be one of them, with his enfuriating draw fire and reflect. To encounter a tro of them with a bunch of shooters would be outright madness. Has this figure been tested just out of curiousity?

Then again, my post is probably a bit biest, just not sure what I would make of it on the table.
Weaver
Posted: Sunday, January 17, 2010 9:31:37 AM

Living characters, maybe? Doubling up on multiple R2 Astromech would both be horrifying and bizarre, considering how the guy is worded as cloning them.
Sashlon
Posted: Sunday, January 17, 2010 9:46:52 PM

I love this idea!

Couple of things:

should only be for living characters, and it costs a little too much. I understand why you're erring on the conservative side with cost, but drop the base stats down, and then you can drop it's cost.

Even as it stands, I want one! BlooMilk
Sithborg
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 1:59:03 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

It is actually not overcosted. You are breaking one of the most fundamental abilities in the game, an ability that is inherent in a pieces cost.
Darth Chaos
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 4:27:47 AM

Sithborg wrote:
It is actually not overcosted. You are breaking one of the most fundamental abilities in the game, an ability that is inherent in a pieces cost.

Exactly!

I'm thinking of changing the ability to read:

Advanced Cloning (One living character in your squad may ignore Unique for the purpose of squad building)

Then I may lower her cost to 30-35.
Darth Chaos
Posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2010 5:17:26 PM

How about this:

Advanced Cloning (Whenever a Unique living ally within 6 squares of this character would be defeated, with a save of 16, it instead immediately returns to play with full Hit Points)

Worth 35 points?
Darth Chaos
Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2010 6:12:42 PM

What if we did this for 40 points:

Special Ability:

Advanced Cloning (One living character in your squad may ignore Unique for the purpose of squad building)

Commander Effect:

Whenever a Unique living ally within 6 squares of this character would be defeated, with a save of 16, it instead immediately returns to play with full Hit Points
Weeks
Posted: Friday, January 22, 2010 5:31:03 AM

Now that is worth 40 2 vaders running around one gets killed then pops back up in the back is just mean. I love it.
Darth Chaos
Posted: Friday, January 22, 2010 5:42:30 PM

The point cost is definitely the kicker. Someone suggested a fairly elegant solution, based on the Han Solo in Carbonite mini. Of course, now I have to figure out how to word it so someone can't pick a lower point version of a Unique for Ko Sai's cost. Suggestions?

We'd considered making Advanced Cloning a CE, like the Leia it's based on, but with mouse droids and MA's Booming Voice, I'm afraid it'd extend the ability too far, though that might be preferable. This version dovetails nicely with the Cloning SA we created for the Spaarti Cloning Cylinder.

Let me know what you think!
Darth Chaos
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2010 1:34:08 PM

During setup, choose one living character to ignore Unique for the purpose of squad building; your squad may include a second character who counts as the chosen character; this character's point cost X is 1/2 of the printed cost of the chosen character or 15 points, whichever is higher