RegisterDonateLogin

Has the death sentence on twelve systems.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

What do you guys think about social networking sites Options
yggral
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 11:27:44 AM
Groups: Member

i have a debate and i am against social networking sites don't want to be but its for a grade any input would be great help to know you oppinions

thanks in advance
Eroschilles
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 11:52:30 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I believe they serve a purpose. I have a facebook, although I do not use it very thoroughly, mostly for farmville at this point. But social networking sites are good for keeping in contact with people you do not see very often.

I think they also give people a sense of being more interconnected so they don't feel so isolated while they sit secluded in their abodes on the computer.
carnorjax1
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 12:50:11 PM

yggral wrote:
i have a debate and i am against social networking sites don't want to be but its for a grade any input would be great help to know you oppinions

thanks in advance

Well, they spawn very bad situations. People can get your info and address from very little info you put up.(I have seen someone practice this in a demonstration at my school) One of the situations they told us about at school was a girl sending naughty pics of herself to her boyfriend on a SNW, he showed it to all his friends who showed it to tons of people, she breaks up with the guy, and they sue each other for tons of money. Not a happy ending. SNW's maybe cool places to chat with people, but they can be very dangerous and harmful as well.
yggral
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 12:53:37 PM

thanks for you input
SquelchDog
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 3:25:40 PM

Eroschilles wrote:
I think they also give people a sense of being more interconnected so they don't feel so isolated while they sit secluded in their abodes on the computer.

I second that, we are learning about this in a class at school. Why people join group's, team's, and thing's of that nature. We've talked about forum boards, facebook and other site's. Forum boards I like because they are moderated.

Facebook and other site's like it I avoid like the plague. The stuff that carnorjax1 said doesn't surprise me in the slightest. In fact, I have seen and heard stories worse than that one and that one is bad enough as it is. I'm talking reported on the news stories not rumor's or hearsay. Though the news isn't 100% accurate. Still, if it's bad enough to make headlines it can't be good. It's not hard at all to gather info on someone at these site's.

Also a family member of mine clicked on a link at one of the social networking sites and was hit with all manner of spy-ware, mal-ware and 5 to 6 viruses. Completely killed their Anti virus software. Wasn't pretty I had to clean up the mess. ThumbDown
Dr. Destructo
Posted: Thursday, February 25, 2010 8:15:13 AM

I hated the idea at first(never been big on spending a lot of time in front of a computer), but it has sorta become a necessity for me. I joined Facebook for the sole reason of keeping in contact with my brother when he joined the Navy because that was the easiest way to talk to him on a regular basis when he's out and about. Facebook has also helped me keep in touch with alot of friends who left to other states for college. Sure we still have AIM, but sometimes FB is a better option when we're not online at the same time.
Urza Planeswalker Jedi Master
Posted: Thursday, February 25, 2010 8:21:02 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I dont have one and never really wanted one until about an hour ago when Coheed and Cambria made an annoucement but it can only be viewed on Twitter. Im not a YouTwitFace so I guess I will find out later.
SquelchDog
Posted: Thursday, February 25, 2010 8:24:30 AM

Dr. Destructo wrote:
I hated the idea at first(never been big on spending a lot of time in front of a computer), but it has sorta become a necessity for me. I joined Facebook for the sole reason of keeping in contact with my brother when he joined the Navy because that was the easiest way to talk to him on a regular basis when he's out and about. Facebook has also helped me keep in touch with alot of friends who left to other states for college. Sure we still have AIM, but sometimes FB is a better option when we're not online at the same time.

Now that is an excellent use of FB! I bet your brother is happy to hear from you.ThumbsUp It does have some good application's. I shouldn't completely knock it.
defender390
Posted: Thursday, February 25, 2010 8:35:19 AM

Meh, I don't really care either way. Any abuse that takes place on a social networking site can happen anywhere else just as easily. We shouldn't protect people from themselves by prohibiting things. That never ends well. I will admit that the impersonality of the entire thing is kind of worrying from a social perspective, though.
DarthJak
Posted: Thursday, February 25, 2010 12:24:14 PM

I think you should do your own homework. LOLLOL
or not, I never did.Mad