RegisterDonateLogin

Bloo you up, boom! How wude.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Custom Basics? Options
Mickey
Posted: Sunday, May 10, 2009 9:35:36 AM
Groups: Member

I was wondering when you all price point your customs do you use a formula? For example do you give a point price for each +1 attack, every 10 hp, skills etc... I was wondering if Wizards had a formula for this because it seems that figs are priced fairly similar for similar stats.
strate_jakit
Posted: Sunday, May 10, 2009 1:41:36 PM

i dont use any formula, i just cost them according to what i think they should be after i look them over
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2009 12:41:07 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Compare them to existing characters and make an educated guess as to the cost. You can get as aggressive as you want there, but if you keep it realistic it really helps.

WOTC has said there is no formula and that they just make each character's cost by their abilities.
Skywalker2B
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2009 1:08:32 AM

There were formulas people came up with to cost their customs. I took one or two of them and combined them, as well as added some of the newer abilities and force powers and used it for costing the Anakin and Tahiri stats I recently posted. If you go through the archives at swmgamers.com and possibly the WotC archives, you might be able to find where I posted my formula.

However, I don't know how well that will work now. It looks like WotC has modified how they cost their latest characters. They may say that they don't use a formula, but I'd be willing to bet that they have some standard they follow...even if it is just matching other characters that have similar abilities and powers.

When I first tried to come up with some custom stats, there were several people that said just look at other characters that have similar stats and make yours similar. Ehh *shrug* You could do that too.
Mickey
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2009 2:39:04 AM

I'm betting also there is a basic formula. Otherwise the game stats would be out of whack and we would have alot more broken figures.
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2009 3:13:40 AM

Well believe it or not, Rob has said there is no formula for costing. Just plain ol' common sense.
Volvagia14
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2009 6:48:19 AM

imyurhukaberry wrote:
Well believe it or not, Rob has said there is no formula for costing. Just plain ol' common sense.

Rob and common sense?

that's a first...
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2009 7:02:24 AM

Nice. Good thing Rob isn't the one costing them huh?

In all fairness, Rob has been doing a great job at creating new characters that make old ones playable. We'll see how JA is, but I'm sure it will be great.
Dead horse
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2009 7:15:50 PM

Re: points formula, I found this over on the WotC forums a few months ago:

Quote:

"When doing stats, there is a common thread among all the minis, and it is this:

Character X 5 pts.
10 Hit Points
14 Defense
+4 Attack
10 Damage

Adding 10 HP, up to a total of 100, 1 Defense up to 20, and 1 attack up to 12, adds a point to the cost for each increment.

Incremental increases above those maximums seem to cost 2. Take any fairly basic mini in the game, be it from Rebel Storm or Clone Wars, and I think you will see the pattern.

From there, it gets more complicated. Unique and Melee are obvious drawbacks, and the costs have been lower in recent sets. Of course, under the formula system its just a matter of increasing the per-point reduction as opposed to an arbitrary number. The trick of it is figuring out what an ability is worth instead of the more overall-artistic feel of the complete card that we have now - which sometimes misses the mark.

In this thread, I proposed the Yoda stat-card ficticious idea (even if I can't spell ficticious) to try to understand how they design the cards. Here's the proposal, let's hear some point totals, and then when we all have relative agreement, change a significant part of the card. What happened? Most people stuck to their totals.

I'll have more later, but work is calling..."

You can find the thread via this link.

Skywalker2B
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2009 9:17:24 AM

Here's the thread on the SWMGamers site http://www.swmgamers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=796
IG-108
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 3:17:56 AM

I always just guess on what my custom characters should cost. I sometimes compare their price to similar characters.
Lyrek_Galstan
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2009 4:16:15 PM

Eyeballing or using a formula for point cost works well, for building them, I've actually resorted some times to making them in Saga edition as NPCs first, then reduce their Reflex Defense by 10 to get a playable defense.
CC-23478
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2010 4:32:20 AM

At the-holocron.com there is a download (in the dowloads section) called Star Wars Miniatures Campaign Edition or something like that...simplified it's a TacRPG that combines the best parts of the RPG and CMG into one game...in it there are tables for costing stats and all special abilities up to the clone wars set...you use the value listed in the book and then take half of that...

It's brilliant, I use it for all of my customs.