RegisterDonateLogin

What the heck is an "Aluminum Falcon"?

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

What's Good In The EU? Options
carnorjax1
Posted: Tuesday, March 9, 2010 10:24:02 AM
Groups: Member

NJO was good from what I can remember, I couldn't find all of them, and I skipped around alot, so the series is pretty confusing for me. Now what about that Star Wars Holiday Special, great stuff huh? <You have just earned the right to throw a couple online punchs at me> LOL The Ewok live-action movies=win.
qvos
Posted: Tuesday, March 9, 2010 1:31:17 PM

I've read every book out in the EU. I like all the books mentioned but the only ones I've read more then 3 times is the Thrawn Trilogy, And Matthew Stover's " Revenge of the Sith". I know.. I've got to get a life.Flapper
'
greentime
Posted: Tuesday, March 9, 2010 1:59:35 PM

All three of Matthew Stover's stand-alone books (Shatterpoint, Revenge of the Sith, and Shadows of Mindor) are excellent. Shatterpoint has a strong argument for best Star Wars novel, period. Stover (whose non-Star Wars work is some of the best fantasy ever written) gets deeper into the psychology of the characters and the philosophy of the Force than anyone. His books are also surprisingly funny. He has a great knack for phrases that stick with you, and for Devil's Advocate arguments that leave you nodding along, much less the recipient!

The Thrawn series is very good, and much closer to "traditional" sci-fi than the bulk of the EU, which is really more fantasy when you get down to it. Zahn gets much further into the politics and technology of Star Wars than pretty much anyone else, and the characters are well constructed.

The young Han Solo books were surprisingly good, and are extremely fast reads. Han Solo's adventures in the Corporate Sector are even better - they really hammer home Han's antihero characteristics, and show just how difficult it is for someone to make a dishonest living in the Star Wars universe.

The Rogue Squadron series is pretty good, but the Wraith Squadron series is much better. Out of all of the EU, the Wraith books are some of the most funny, have the most interesting characters and some of the most daring exploits, and manage to also fit in some very poignant moments.

I enjoyed the Tales Of books a lot. They were great for car reading.

The New Jedi Order. Oh, my. By far the most ambitious EU project, it had some of the highest highs and lowest lows of the entire Star Wars universe. Traitor is IMHO the best Star Wars book period. Star by Star is the best "traditional" Star Wars book. Getting to those two is a bit of a chore, though. Vector Prime is good, Balance Point is interesting, and Edge of Victory 1: Conquest is very good. You can almost skip everything else. After Traitor the series bogs down even worse. Don't even bother with the Force Heretic series; just read Destiny's Way and The Unifying Force.

The Dark Nest Trilogy was solid. Lots of politics, lots of the Force, and Luke Skywalker starts kicking butt again. Jacen began to turn into a very interesting character in this series...

...only to be ruined in LOTF. Don't bother with it. All of Stover and Denning's effort to craft Jacen Solo into an intriguing, realistic, and thoroughly human character are torn to shreds when he turns to teh evils for reasons that make no sense.
qvos
Posted: Tuesday, March 9, 2010 2:04:13 PM

Yup, I agree.. I read LOTF and it was Ok. Not great at all.
CC-23478
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2010 7:36:09 AM

I know they're contreversial but I LOVE the republic commando novels

They are the best star wars books I've read, with the best of the series being the second, Triple Zero

I also like The Last Command and Labyrinth of Evil

The Revenge of the Sith novelization was also a masterpiece, it perfectly captures that malevolent atmosphere that the movie failed to create

Not sure about comics, haven't gone too far into those

KOTOR games are also good

Jedi Academy games are fun but kinda cheesy

Not sure what else to say
CC-23478
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2010 7:38:33 AM

Shab, I almost forgot the Clone Wars novelization of the movie by Karen Traviss

How in the blazes (say with Obi accent O_O) could I forget that

It is tied with Dean Koontz's Odd Thomas (not star wars) as my favorite book of all time

I mean, it actually made me pity Assajj Ventress

It's was sooooooo brilliant

By far her masterpiece