RegisterDonateLogin

Star Wars Miniatures has always been, at its heart, a drinking game.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Mass Effect Miniatures? Options
eMouse
Posted: Thursday, April 1, 2010 3:53:59 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

It's been fun, but I have to point out what the first letter of each line between the two bold lines spells out.

For those not familiar with it, Mass Effect was the next game Bioware made after letting go of the Star Wars license. Same core engine and game play, for the most part. Many aspects feel like Star Wars with the names filed off.

So it seemed like a natural fit, if WotC dropped the more expensive license and picked up a cheaper Mass Effect license to market the almost exact same game under.

I thought about what would be neat to see in such a situation, who the rares would be, etc. It was hard to pare that information down for a semi-credible Previews listing. Even what I gave was really a lot more info that WotC really would. I pretty much named every unique.

The Mako and Colossus would be huges. There are plenty of incidental characters in the first ME alone to fill out a 40-piece set, I think.
engineer
Posted: Thursday, April 1, 2010 10:33:14 PM
Groups: Member

I have no draw to Mass Effect mini's.

The V sets for SWM will be good for the game.

So I'm staying with SWM. The Mass Effect mini's will be discounted shortly (after the game tanks).
bigbro911
Posted: Thursday, April 1, 2010 10:54:29 PM

If this were true (which it ain't) it would be kind of a slap in the face for us SWM fans. "We are sorry but we are not going to continue with SWM which has a great following and instead use those resources to try a new mini game with a much more limited audience"

I am looking forward to the V sets a lot! There are so many possibilities for new and improved figures. As a mando player I have my fingers crossed for a Jaina SotJ (w/ affinity), Kal Skirata and maybe even someday a Cassus Fett. The hope of those figures alone excites me more than a ME set!

Thanks to all those who are working on it for the community!
Roque Saber
Posted: Friday, April 2, 2010 12:34:25 AM

eMouse wrote:
It's been fun, but I have to point out what the first letter of each line between the two bold lines spells out.

For those not familiar with it, Mass Effect was the next game Bioware made after letting go of the Star Wars license. Same core engine and game play, for the most part. Many aspects feel like Star Wars with the names filed off.

So it seemed like a natural fit, if WotC dropped the more expensive license and picked up a cheaper Mass Effect license to market the almost exact same game under.

I thought about what would be neat to see in such a situation, who the rares would be, etc. It was hard to pare that information down for a semi-credible Previews listing. Even what I gave was really a lot more info that WotC really would. I pretty much named every unique.

The Mako and Colossus would be huges. There are plenty of incidental characters in the first ME alone to fill out a 40-piece set, I think.

Very well done, eMouse. BigGrin I'm sure most of the community would be really ticked if WotC did drop SWM and then start making ME right after.
Wysten
Posted: Friday, April 2, 2010 1:50:13 AM

Well, can't blame them. After all, I imagine Lucas art charge a insane amount for the lisence. Considering the fact they are not putting the money in to avertise it, it would probably be a huge burden on them.
sol
Posted: Friday, April 2, 2010 3:35:35 AM

Beast wrote:
And how is Mass Effect more marketable then SWs?
SWMinis gets the axe, while a video game gets (and I'm hoping this is a hoax) its turn?
Don't get me wrong, I think ME is a great title, and the 2nd installment is superp, IMO, but there is absolutely no way Wizos will be successful with this line, if it is in fact true. Let Star Wrs Miniatures be the perfect example to this, as far as marketing and production goes.

The license for Mass Effect would be categorically less than the license for Star Wars.

By the way -- I dont know how I missed this in Previews, but if this is coming out under the same system as SWM, I will be buying it...except that it's not real. BigGrin
Demosthenes
Posted: Friday, April 2, 2010 3:38:09 AM

I still feel like this April Fools' joke was in bad taste on Wizards' part, at least for us SWM players who are still bitter over them dropping SWM. At least that's how I feel.
LoboStele
Posted: Friday, April 2, 2010 3:52:12 AM

I'm pretty sure this was done by eMouse, and not done by Wizards. If it was an actual April Fool's joke from WOTC, it would've been something we could track down by Google Search, which I wasn't able to do yesterday. Plus, I saw no mention of it at all on WOTC's website.
Lachesis
Posted: Friday, April 2, 2010 3:56:59 AM

well played emouse, well played.
SquelchDog
Posted: Friday, April 2, 2010 4:43:36 AM

Blink Very elaborate April Fool's Joke. Nice one eMouse you had me going for a little while. ThumpUp
Demosthenes
Posted: Friday, April 2, 2010 2:42:54 PM

Oh, in that case, good one! =P

You certainly had me fooled, even after I knew it was an April Fools joke, lol.
General_Grievous
Posted: Friday, April 2, 2010 3:14:27 PM

eMouse wrote:

Haha well done Emouse, that was very well done. It almost seemed plausible especially with Bioware talking about more "physical products" in an interview. I would have totally bought that game since Bioware and Mass Effect are awesome. Although the Star Wars fan in me would definitely have been slapped in the face and drowned by wizards actually having done that. But best joke I have seen in a few years at least haha.