RegisterDonateLogin

Does not tread lightly in the Jundland Wastes.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Charlotte 3/27 tourney Options
Weeks
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2010 4:50:16 AM
Groups: Member

So ive been playtesting things i might take to regionals so i drove up to charlotte to play with their group and see how my squad would perform here is what i ran.

58 Boba Fett, Merc
35 Zuckuss, BH
21 Genohardian Assassin
20 General Whorm Loathsome
17 IG-86 Assassin Droid
17 IG-86 Assassin Droid
9 Battle Droid Officer
8 R7 Astromech Droid
x3 Mouse Droids
x2 Uggies.

Pretty fun squad with boba as the main attacker i was able to get off the double twin every time except on 1-2 attacks all day with his intuition. Zuckuss i ended up using more as a scare tactic and distraction piece then for the snare. I figured if i could get someone to rush zuckuss even if i losed him my ig's could clean up and i could set up boba for the next round, anyway off to the report.

Round 1.........mirror match vs paul on his map rancor pit
it was pretty funny when paul showed me his team and we both saw we had nearly the same team on the field. The only differance was he ran san hill and 2 Aqualish Assassins over my geno. I was outacted greatly he even hit reserves at the start of round 2. By round 3 it was over i won init by 1 and used my intuition to base my zuckuss on his zuckuss and i moved my boba to where i had line of sight to his last remaining ig (i killed the other a round before) boba and zuckuss. He tried to use his intuition to run his zuckuss away but mine hit on the aoo and stuck him to the ground. his boba tried to stay and help his boba survive. Turned out my boba stuck 90 on his, he killed my zuck with his boba, my turn my geno assassinates zuckuss (2 failed saves vs poison blade) and one of my ig's finishes boba. We played out the round then paul conceded. He did go on to beat a tough vong squad and a GoBuck squad so he did well with it.

Round 2 vs Sith on muunlist
I played one of the kids second round he ran Naga Sadow, Darth Krayt, and Darth Caedus. I basicly just turned his naga into a turret while boba spend 3 rounds trying to cut through krayts armor (with cunning that guy just wont die lol) he was able to kill some uggies and zuckuss before boba finished off the rest of his team. These kids are getting really good.

Round 3 vs Imperials on my map Jedi Temple.
Played another kid last round (sorry guys i forgot your names) he ran a palps on throne, arica, kir kanos and ISP squad that he played really well. He even came really close to killing my boba (i forgot kir had twin i thought he had double) in the end my igs firepower was just too much for him to overcome as they wiped out both ISP's and Kir.

Charlotte only plays 3 rounds so they gave me second as me and nick were both 3-0.

Learned a few lessons and some how to's on the squad.
#1 taking init isnt always the best option. I ended up only really needing to take it twice all day. instead letting your opponent go first you can move to see 2-3 targets each for boba and zuckuss and make them pick who they wan to get shot up or you can run into cover and let them chase you and have your ig's kill them as they advance.

#2 Scare tactics. I did this a lot and hit on it with #1 just wanted to point it out again, people will make moves they normally wouldnt make if they see that boba/zuckuss can get LOS to them. Vs activation control you can really make them think by setting up intuition correctly and forcing them to either move that piece that they dont want to or having them get glued down or hit with boba's 4 +18 cunning shots.

#3 Fragility. The squad is packed with firepower your main defence is your ability to glue things down and move away, and being able to run even if you lose init. I losed Zuckuss every game i played, but i didnt care he was used as bait every game too. Your guys need to stay protected as long as you can before they start taking the risks on tough shots. You will lose zuckuss and prob the geno every game but as long as you keep boba alive there really isnt much that can stop you.

So hope you guys enjoyed this ill post some other squad ideas and how they tested later on.

David
Emissary
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2010 3:39:14 PM

Great post David and it was awesome that you came up again! (and gave me a ride there too)

I suppose I'll give my report as well since I did face 2 squads you didn't see there.

My squad was:

47 Darth Vader
32 Thrawn
31 Arica
35 Zuckuss BH
27 Lobot
8 Mas
13 Amanin Scout
4 Gran Raider
3 Uggo

--Reinforcements--
4 Gran Raider x2
3 Rodian Brute x3
3 Uggo

This squad is self-explanatory. Lots of swap fodder to play with (most of it free). Arica puts a hurt at the beginning or the end of the round. Zuck to stick things when they need to be stuck. Vader plays cleanup when need be or just bases someone and rages every chance he gets. Big thanks to Billiv15 for the original squad idea and another one to Spryguy for helping me make it work with what I had. Anyways, on to the action!

Match #1 Myself vs. Cliff (one of the kids)

His squad was quite interesting and reminded me of a friend I used to know back in IL. He had 3 activations: Naga Sadow, Darth Krayt, and Darth Caedus. I knew I'd have to eat through a lot of HP and saves so this wouldn't be a walk in the park. We played on a map that was made by JediCartographer or Mapmaker (sorry guys...I'm just not too familiar with your work) Since I don't plan on using this for regionals I didn't mind it being a map I had never seen or played on.

I easily had gambit by Round 2 with him being careful of Vader and Arica. His older brother tried to give him some help, but once I had made it close it was too late. Zuckuss stuck Naga away from my main group while Arica and Vader worked on Caedus and Krayt. I did end up losing Vader to Krayt, but by that time I had already won the match. Few more shots from Zuck and Arica and the game was over. Winner: Me

Match #2 Myself vs. Stephen

His squad was straightforward like mine was, he had Yobuck, Bossk (the new one), GOWK, Jensaarai Defender, Lobot CLO, R2 Astro, and an Uggo. I actually won map this time so we played on Ravaged Base. After he finished activating his squad and worked on getting Gambit, I made my way forward and by the end of the 1st round I had Lobot, R2, and the Uggo dead and gone. Next few rounds were pretty tough. I tired to lock him from getting into the double door hallway thats on the map, but soon realized I had trapped myself as well.

Vader did his job, but bit the dust after a Rend +20 attack. I had to sacrifice Zuck to keep Yobuck from running amok with my pieces I had left in the hall. Arica saved the day finally after taking down Bossk when time was called. And yes, GOWK made all the Soresu saves that I gave him. Still though I had a lot of fun with that match. We did both agree that while Defenders are tons of fun to play, they're just weren't suited for his type of squad. But in the end he did well, I believe he went 2-1 overall.

Match #3 Myself vs. Nick

Nick played Vader Unleashed, Palps on Potty, Moff Calixte, Dignitary, Imperial Sentinel, Thrawn, Mas, and an Uggo. He won map and I found myself on the Rancor Pit. Setup was an issue for me and if he hadn't made a critical error in placement I would've lost by the end of the first round. An "error" was made by yours truly and it cost me Arica when I needed her the most. And because I'm 'part of the competitive guys' he wouldn't let me take it back. (let it be known...I do have a HUGE issue with the way this was handled)

After a while I had finally capped Thrawn and Mas while only losing a few low point pieces. The Sentinel was the real problem for me. I made my second costly error (basically not swapping Vader with someone else) and it cost me the game. 110-91.

At the end of the day I ended up 3rd (for the second time in a row now too...usually I'm not in the top 5). Only Nick and David had perfect records. It was good to see everyone again and hopefully everyone had a great time. Next up for the Charlotte group is in 2 weeks for the release of Masters of the Force.
creme_brule
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2010 7:24:41 AM

hey, nice squads, both of you!

@ emissary: dont you think it wouldve been worth it more if you if you had swapped a gran raider or ugo and vader for vader unleashed?
spryguy1981
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2010 8:05:13 AM

You gotta run with what you have, because otherwise you would just run Scourge, I think he did great with the squad and using what he had to offer.
Weeks
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2010 2:35:28 PM

spryguy1981 wrote:
You gotta run with what you have, because otherwise you would just run Scourge, I think he did great with the squad and using what he had to offer.

Oh ya! starter pack vader still packs a punch he isnt bad at all.

Andy did really well controlling arica, his only issue should not have been an issue at all. He was counting squares to where he wanted arica to move and found out he would take an Aoo from the sentinal his opponent made him make the move and killed arica even though he was still in the process of considering the move. Not the best way to handle it but nontheless Andy controlled the squad really well all day.

Look forward to traveling up again with katie to the release event.
njarnagin
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2010 12:26:09 PM

Nice Event folks. Thanks for the update.
jhc36
Posted: Wednesday, April 7, 2010 5:29:57 AM

Alright...might as well post on how poorly I did.

1-2

28 Dash Rendar, Renegade Smuggler
78 Yuuzhan Vong Ossus Guardian x3
60 Yuuzhan Vong Jedi Hunter x3
11 Advance Agent, Officer
5 Camaasi
12 Mouse Droid x4
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2

Round 1 vs Nick and his DV squad on train station

Played alright really. Should have beaten him and would have had it not taken me two rounds to get into gambit (his palps on thrown was chilling there). So he won by 10 pts and it went to time, because well...that's the tendency when you play him.

LOSS

Round 2 vs Paul and his similar squad to Weeks (he was running San) on Bespin

Decided to practice on Bespin. He rolled a 1 right off the bat...so he brought in another droid. I really stood zero chance of winning this game. With his double intuit (boba and zuck) I could never get real close and was in turn chewed apart by his droids. It was...in all honesty...over in about 2-3 rounds.

LOSS

Round 3 vs one of the kids (sorry man I'm terrible with names) who ran Cad, gungans, jar jar on Train Station

Won fairly easily, but that could be in part due to him getting beat twice and realizing he was playing me on the losers table. Decent game, I had to run right after it was over. He plays real well and has come a long way since first joining our group. Jar Jar was an irritant but I avoided him and it was over in about 4-5 rounds.

WIN

I finished in the bottom of the group somewhere...who knows... 7th, 8th? All I know is that I didn't do too well and I was off my game big time. But I would have still gotten beat by Paul even if I had 2 round head start. Tongue