RegisterDonateLogin

Makes you stronger, gives you focus...

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

I am just curious... Options
joelker41
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2010 3:01:25 PM
Groups: Member

I know this seems mean, but I think an intervention is needed here...

Why? Spellchecking/grammar/punctuation seem to be less and less as people are posting these days. I am not perfect but at least people can usually ascertain what I am typing and trying to say.

Now I am not calling people unintelligent but psychologically when I read a well spelled, reasoned, and altogether well constructed post, I actually give it more heed. Mass smiley text (not smilies, just stuff like :) 58 times in one post is excessive), bad spelling,poor sentence structure, and general lack of punctuation is frankly hard on my nerves and my eyes.

Maybe I am just being a prude, but I don't think cleaning up one's posts a little is to hard, is it?
EmporerDragon
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2010 3:41:49 PM

*too hard
Sorry, couldn't resist.

Anyhoo, I do agree that people should do a little proofreading and spell checking before hitting submit, especially in a message board setting where you have time to do so. I always tend to double check my posts before posting to make sure they feel natural and sound like something I'd say in regular conversation.

Also, this topic reminds be of a funny picture from failbook:

kenred2
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2010 4:07:23 PM

LMAO, great pic EmperorDragon ThumpUp
joelker41
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2010 4:46:28 PM

EmporerDragon wrote:
*too hard
Sorry, couldn't resist.

Lol....when I posted it I knew someone would point that out lol!

Notice I said I'm not perfect...No Bloo Milk
Darth O
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2010 7:04:45 PM

Yeah, I see what you're saying. wen yu havr prefet speling nd gramer like me an yu; its rely fustratig!!!!!!!!!!! Just jokes :) Nah, seriously, it doesn't bother me much :) I actually find I type faster when I use proper spelling for some reason!
RannKonnar
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2010 11:54:23 PM

i kn wat u men.

lol
sorry just a joke
SquelchDog
Posted: Saturday, April 17, 2010 10:04:36 PM

I would have to agree with you Joel. I don't think it's mean, just an observation. Myself, I proofread my own post's several time's to catch all my mistakes. And I try to keep the smileys to a minimum. So as not to annoy people.

Awesome picture EmporerDragon! LOL
Xeonaught
Posted: Sunday, April 18, 2010 3:09:33 PM

I think you suffer from OCD. It must be hard for you because you want to make everyones posts gramaticaly correct, but you have to remember that some people just dont give a crud. As a famous man once said "The times they are a changing" And in the old days there was less to learn at school and spelling and grammer were a higher priority. These days they have to teach computing and a whole lot more in order to keep kids up to date becuase as new stuff is discoverd there are more requirements in a job. On reflection I wish somone had hellped me more with spelling and grammer. like more one on one with my parents that I could have gone at my own pace
joelker41
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 1:03:36 AM

Xeonaught wrote:
I think you suffer from OCD. It must be hard for you because you want to make everyones posts gramaticaly correct, but you have to remember that some people just dont give a crud. As a famous man once said "The times they are a changing" And in the old days there was less to learn at school and spelling and grammer were a higher priority. These days they have to teach computing and a whole lot more in order to keep kids up to date becuase as new stuff is discoverd there are more requirements in a job. On reflection I wish somone had hellped me more with spelling and grammer. like more one on one with my parents that I could have gone at my own pace

Actually I am not OCD in the slightest it just shows a general lack of discipline. Calling me OCD and implying I am mentally inflexible is rude.

I don't consider proper grammar and spelling to be outdated, it is the essential building blocks of a language, doing things an easier way just because it is easier and you weren't taught properly is no excuse.
Durge Dude
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 2:31:51 AM

joelker41 wrote:
Xeonaught wrote:

Actually I am not OCD in the slightest it just shows a general lack of discipline. Calling me OCD and imying I am mentally inflexible is rude.

I don't consider proper grammar and spelling to be outdated, it is the essential building blocks of a language, doing things an easier way just because it is easier and you weren't taught properly is no excuse.

I am going to side with Joel. OCD is not the problem, not being grammatically correct when you could be just shows you are in a hurry. You should be on Bloomilk when you have the time, not when you are in a hurry.
swinefeld
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 3:30:22 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

All I can say is... I'm going to train my son to be diligent about his spelling and grammar if it kills me - and it just might. Cursing Wink
Squid89
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 6:09:13 AM

The way I see it - if you don't think your post is worth reading yourself once for typing errors, then why should I bother reading it? I generally skip those that are so bad they hurt my head to try and interpret. I can let some of the grammar rules go and the occasional typo, but at least read the post once before clicking "post".

I'm not OCD or trying to be snobbish. I teach a foreign language and keyboarding so I spend all day correcting grammar and typing errors. So, I am probably a little more sensitive about the errors than some.

Just a few moments of proofreading can make all the difference. [/PSA]
Xeonaught
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 11:35:10 AM

Ok I apologize if i offended anyone and if my comment wasnt politicaly correct

By the way everyone on the planet suffers from a form of OCD. Its just a sub concious response to a situation in an atempt to create order out of chaos. Though the signs or the compulsion might be so small that it just isnt noticed, it is still there. An example is making sure all your minis cards are in order. I keep mine in factions then by cost then alphabticaly then by set. this just helps me keep it tidy and keep track but it is OCD
carnorjax1
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 12:44:43 PM

joelker41 wrote:
I know this seems mean, but I think an intervention is needed here...

Why? Spellchecking/grammar/punctuation seem to be less and less as people are posting these days. I am not perfect but at least people can usually ascertain what I am typing and trying to say.

Now I am not calling people unintelligent but psychologically when I read a well spelled, reasoned, and altogether well constructed post, I actually give it more heed. Mass smiley text (not smilies, just stuff like :) 58 times in one post is excessive), bad spelling,poor sentence structure, and general lack of punctuation is frankly hard on my nerves and my eyes.

Maybe I am just being a prude, but I don't think cleaning up one's posts a little is to hard, is it?

You make a very good point, spelling reflects what people think of you, at least online, where people aren't familiar with your character. Also, good spelling and punctuation will increase the chances that someone will read your post. People in general don't like to decipher posts, (unless you like puzzles Razz ) and they will move onto the next post. People won't take what you have to say seriously, or even consider your points logical if your grammar is poor. Thanks joelker for posting this topic, it needs to be seen.
Darth O
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 7:01:35 PM

Xeonaught wrote:
Ok I apologize if i offended anyone and if my comment wasnt politicaly correct

By the way everyone on the planet suffers from a form of OCD. Its just a sub concious response to a situation in an atempt to create order out of chaos. Though the signs or the compulsion might be so small that it just isnt noticed, it is still there. An example is making sure all your minis cards are in order. I keep mine in factions then by cost then alphabticaly then by set. this just helps me keep it tidy and keep track but it is OCD

I think that that form should be called an OCO - Obsessive Compulsive Order - just ask my mum BigGrin
carnorjax1
Posted: Wednesday, April 21, 2010 11:34:21 AM

ROFL! OCO

That's real funny! LOL