RegisterDonateLogin

Now with 20% more midichlorians.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

ARC Troopers & RC's in "The Clone Wars" Options
wampafang
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2010 5:59:09 AM
Groups: Member

LoboStele wrote:
I highly doubt you'll see Filoni move away from using other franchises for inspiration. Lucas himself will outright admit that the original Star Wars was based on the Saturday morning serials, Buck Rogers, etc. So it makes sense that modern SW stuff would draw from other sources sometimes too.

Besides, it's not like every episode has been an homage to something else. There's been a fair amount of original stuff.

I understand and accept that...but IMO when the homages are for homage-sake, obvious, and don't mesh well with the universe (Zillo Beast) than I don't care for it as much. I just hope the Zillo Beast's inclusion will be justified by a major plot twist or it will become an homage just for homage-sake and not useful. Time will tell.

Very cool...hopefully when you get your ARC armor done you could share that as well. Its also neat that you got to meet Karen Traviss. What was she like?
carnorjax1
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2010 8:41:01 AM

wampafang wrote:
carnorjax1 wrote:
My only other complaint is Anakin. Is it truly necesary for him to be in every episode of the Clone Wars? Before production, Lucas said the Clone wars would focus away from Anakin and instead be on everyone else. Lies. Slander. Obsession with Ani. Either he's fought in every battle of the war, or he has more clones then the Clone Army. He must have a medal cabinet that's ready to bust somewhere. At any rate, the Clone Wars really haven't impressed me too much.

Good point about Anakin, I hadn't heard about him "focusing away" from him...interesting.

To be honest, overall I like the Clone Wars when it focuses on the war and not side stories that have little or nothing to do do with the war. I would like to see clones vs. droids in every episode, intrigue is ok if its balanced with action and it involves the war, no more entire shows about padawans losing lightsabers, Jar Jar adventures, and to a certain extent bountyhunters. I would also like Fioni to stop using other franchises and movies for inspiration (Kurosawa and obviosly Godzilla), it cheapens the experience for me. There is a wealth of in-house inspiration from both trilogies, novels, and the EU for him not to do that.

I actually loved the Kurosawa episode, the Zillo beast one was okay. I would love it if the made an episode based off "Yojimbo" or it's more recent adaption, "A Fistful of Dollars" Maybe make the no-name character a foil to Cad Bane.
CC-23478
Posted: Sunday, May 2, 2010 10:23:08 AM

Hate to swift the topic away from clones, but, regarding the pacifict Mandos, they existed at the same time as the REAL mandalorians we all know and love.

Here's is a quote from the Official Atlas that clears it all up:

After Ruusan (the battle of Ruusan, circa 1,000 BBY), the Mandalorians remade themselves as a technologically adept, rigidly disciplined society. Mandalore's growing militancy alarmed the Republic and the Jedi, leading to a short, sharp war in the 730s that devastated the planet and forced another social transformation. The so-called New Mandalorians renounced the old Warrior codes, espousing peace, neutrality and tolerance as the only way to survive in a hostile galaxy. Mandalorian armor became a rare sight, with only a few bands of unrepentant mercs clinging to discredited clan traditions.
Few took these hard-bitten dead-enders seriously--particularly since they fought so viciously amoungst themselves. Around 60 BBY, the True Mandalorians of Jaster Mereel, who sought to restore honor to the clans, fell out with Tor Vizsla's Death Watch--even as the New Mandalorians rejected both groups. After all but eliminating the True Mandalorians at Galidraan in 44 BBY, the Death Watch sought to destroy Duchess Satine, the enigmatic New Mandalorian leader. Satine survived their attacks to become a passionate advocate for neutrality in the Clone Wars, but the Death Watch's time would come. The Clone Alpha-02, also known as Spar, eventually won out over Satine's faction and dubbed himself Mandalore the Resurrector, a title indicating that the old traditions once more held sway.

Side note; those who don't know the rest of the story, Spar created the Protectors, who often numbered around 100, and were the elite mando legionaires like what Boba had during the Vong war.
wampafang
Posted: Sunday, May 2, 2010 10:46:12 PM

Except Traviss' Mandalore (Planet) and Lucas' Mandalore are not the same, given the time period they both talk about. I think its Traviss' Mandos that folks are upset about, not necessarily Mando's as they have been written generally.