RegisterDonateLogin

Choosy Jedi choose Bloo Milk.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Squad rating suggestion... Options
kenred2
Posted: Thursday, March 5, 2009 3:41:47 PM
Groups: Member

I know you probably saw different responses over a million times, but I feel this one is a good idea for long term...

Posts can be found in this link: http://www.bloomilk.com/Forums/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=522&p=4

I believe that in order to prevent people from giving unnecessary 1's by excessive trolling... and I have thought about this very deeply... is by doing something like:

-You see a squad and on the right you see where you can click any number from 1-10 to rate
-If someone clicks 1-5 for the rating, a message would pop-up and tell you "explain your reason" with a comment box along with the rate score chosen (the rate number is selectable in that pop-up, so if the person clicks 1 by accident and decides to click a 7 or higher than 6, the pop-up comment box would disappear and the rating is posted without necessary explanation). A comment box would have a set amount of characters that is required for you to write the reason, to prevent limited response by writing 1 letter without understanding the reason behind it.
-The comment box would disappear as you click Enter and recorded as squad comments to the squad that made the rating.
-I notice that the comment is deletable, so if the person who posted a bad rating on a squad where to delete that comment, which was required to be posted... then by deleting the comment, you'd delete the rating that you posted originally

I thought long and hard about this and I think if you Shinja can create such a small program, it would solve the rate-killers from trolling and leaving 1's without a reasonable response. If the response is gibberish (characters, symbols that contain no meaning), we can clearly find out who is behind it.
CherryPenguin
Posted: Thursday, March 5, 2009 3:59:12 PM
Groups: Administration , Member, Trade Moderator

Thanks for the idea but squad ratings will always be anonymous and not have to be commented on. The rating system will work better if more people are rating. So if there is a system that is hindering people from rating, such as making them comment, then the rating system won't work as well.
Urza Planeswalker Jedi Master
Posted: Friday, March 6, 2009 1:02:09 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

The only problem right now is that a couple of bad apples are spoiling it for the rest. No one wants to rate squads if theirs are going to get '1's. And a lot of people have had problems with all of their squads not being considered great.
Opan Windu
Posted: Friday, March 6, 2009 1:43:38 AM

Its still a bad idea Kenred2.ThumbDown
Mickey
Posted: Friday, March 6, 2009 2:30:45 AM

If the comment only had to be left for a 1,2 or a 9,10 it would not hinder the system very much. Forcing people to move to 3-8 for posting an anonymous reply would cause your ratings to average out over time as more rate the squads causing the griefing in the system to be less effective. I personally do not think it is too much to ask for someone to explain a really bad or really good rating.

Even at work when we evaluate employees (1-5 scale) we have to explain on a 1 or 5 why we gave that response. The reason why is because they expect people to be average. It's those they either need to correct or reward they want to know about. Just like here for squads, we only want to see the good ones and sort the bad ones to the bottom of the list to avoid reading LOL
DarthJak
Posted: Friday, March 6, 2009 3:23:33 AM

kenred's idea is the best yet.ThumbsUp numbers are meaningless with a comment
Opan Windu
Posted: Friday, March 6, 2009 3:51:46 AM

If you have to leave a comment then you won't get rated as often because some people don't have a comment to leave and what is keeping the from typing giberish. How are the ratings going to be anonymous if your name is on the comment, your squad may suck and i dont want pm's with you crying.
kenred2
Posted: Friday, March 6, 2009 8:22:18 AM

Opan Windu wrote:
If you have to leave a comment then you won't get rated as often because some people don't have a comment to leave and what is keeping the from typing giberish. How are the ratings going to be anonymous if your name is on the comment, your squad may suck and i dont want pm's with you crying.

And you think leaving 1's anonymously is a good idea? When you rate a squad from 6-10, there's no reason to comment. But when you rate less than a 5, you mine as well let the person know right? If it's terrible, then say it, don't just post a 1 and walk away... people who rate should express in a serious manner on what that person thinks of the squad. If you receive a pm from an individual who could not handle the criticism, simply just delete the comment off that person's squad and the rating would be deleted as well. Simple as that.
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Friday, March 6, 2009 8:53:04 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

So you are forcing people to give everyone's squad above a 6, or they are penalized by adding a comment? Hmm...what happened to the 1st Amendment?
Hey, I like getting high ratings on my squads just like everyone else, but I don't think people should be forced to rate a squad higher than they think it should be. If you want it to be completely fair, then I believe no matter what you rate the squad, you should be forced to leave a comment. That way it steers habitual "rater onlies" away from just rating for the heck of it. It means work to rate a squad then, so it might cut down on the "bad" ratings. (again, a rating is someone's opinion only, not an official record or anything)
kenred2
Posted: Friday, March 6, 2009 9:34:48 AM

I see your point.. I didn't mean to use my ideology to force anything regarding to the ratings. However, there is this 1 idea I found intriguing. If you guys ever sell stuff or buy stuff on ebay, that you are going to give this person a feedback? Well this feedback comes from the comment posted and rating of your experience with the seller... could we also do that with squads? To me, if there are any variation to it, I think it would just might improve the rating system here. Just a thought