RegisterDonateLogin

Lets the Wookiee win.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

"Old School" Booster League Proposal Options
creme_brule
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2010 1:46:51 PM
Groups: Member

hey guys!

i was thinking about starting a new booster league...wait. before you click the "back" button on your web browser or you click on the next thread, let me explain.

This is NOT an official VASSAL league!!! there are WAAAYYY too many leagues going on right now (4 i think) all of which im part of (lol Tongue ). so if you people like what im about to propose and comment "nice" things about it, then i'll kick it off promply after some leagues end and such.

i've been wanting to start a VASSAL league of my own for about 2 weeks now, and R5Don4 inspired me for this league idea on VASSAL when he was complaining that he was tired of power creep (sorry if i misquoted you on that lol...at least that's what i interpreted anyways). so, i figured i'd create a league that would only incorporate boosters from universe and BEFORE. meaning, no COTF, and TFU, no LOTF, etc. etc.

some of you might think this is a really bad idea, but i think many of us (ex. Don) would appreciate this old school league where there are very few broken squads out there. (i see some eyes opening when they read this lol Woot )

Anyways, here's what im thinking:

This league will NOT be like a normal booster league where your luck 100% completely decides your fate. IMO, i don't think that's very "fair". ThumbDown There will be most likely 8 (or 16 if this league is a hit...which i hope, but am doubtful) people, so 2 (or 4) people will get the same booster (ex. RS, CS, ROTS, UNIV). and to make things "equal and fair" everyone will get the same amount of each booster (ex. if the league runs for 8 weeks, each person will end up recieving x2 of each booster).

NOW, here's what im thinking in terms of boosters:

-you choose which boosters you want at the BEGINNING of the league, but you're allowed NO MORE than x2 of one booster. you get two boosters to start out with. (ex., if the league runs 6 weeks you choose a total of 8 different boosters, and you choose which 2 to open first at the beginning of the league, and then you choose which booster to open next week, and so on)

Playoffs would work as most sports leagues would work:

Lowest seed vs. Highest seed
2nd lowest vs. 2nd highest
and so forth

So what do you guys think? IMO, this league would be very interesting to see...especially if vaderSL ends up pwning the whole league, lol. this also gives people somewhat control over theirpulls by being able to choose ALL of their boosters at the start of the league...

if you guys think this is cool then i'll be posting the TRUE rules and have about 3 playtesters try it out wiht me :)

thanks guys hope to hear from ya! (esp. you Don lol)
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2010 2:08:30 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Always love the old school league ideas. Good luck!
greentime
Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2010 1:41:27 AM

Well, first I'd take issue with the claim that "luck 100% completely decides your fate." Sure, it's possible to get absolutely no good pieces at all and have an utterly terrible squad. But that's very unlikely, and out of all the BMBL games I watched on Vassal, only one person I ever saw had a squad that struck me as remarkably bad. The whole point of a booster draft is taking the random assortment of pieces you receive and turning them into something that can win games. You had Whorm Loathsome, arguably the best piece to draft in the entire game, but you didn't win every game after you got him, right?

I think the problem with limiting the selection of pieces to pre-Universe will actually make luck a bigger factor, though, not smaller. Most of the best pieces in the game came out after Universe. Once you cut them out, those few people who get the best old pieces will have a TREMENDOUS advantage over everyone else. First, anyone who pulls R2 or UH Lobot will be very hard to beat because there is no other door control, period. Anyone who pulls Grand Admiral Thrawn will have a huge leg up. Instead of there being a large pool of good pieces, which pretty much guarantees that everyone gets at least a few squad cornerstones, there is just a teeny tiny one that a lot of people will be cut out of entirely. The lack of good pieces not only increases the team stratification but also makes the games less fun. Unless you reduce the points value, playing with these pieces at 200 is going to take a while and, IMHO, but much less fun than playing a normal game.

creme_brule
Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2010 3:16:18 AM

agreed. I was thinking about the same thins last night, and i was thinking of letting ALL boosters be chosen at the beginning of the league, BUT, each person (id hope to have an even 8 peopel total in/excluding myself) is allowed to veto ONE booster of their choice AND one figure. After that, people would be allowed to choose all their boosters for thew hole season, but onnly allowed to open 2 to start out with. People would be able to choose sets that have a vetoed character in it, but if they happen to pull that character, they cant use it. Thus, while they have control over what boosters to pull, they run the risk of puling someone who might be vetoed (ex. Mas ammeda)

im also thinkoing of allowing people to veto one map from the restricted/standard list.
empirejeff
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2010 2:49:03 PM

hip hip