RegisterDonateLogin

Has been fought over since the formation of the Republic.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Vader's Missiles Options
RevRevGar
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2009 9:35:00 AM
Groups: Member

[http://bloomilk.com/Squads/ViewSquad.aspx?SquadID=31837]

--Vader's Missiles--
53 Darth Vader, Imperial Commander
23 Lando Calrissian, Hero of Taanab
22 Imperial Governor Tarkin
16 Felucian Stormtrooper Officer
65 Shock Trooper x5
8 Mas Amedda
12 Ugnaught Demolitionist x4
(199pts. 14 activations)

So, does this Squadron have any legitimacy in competitive play?

A few points before you all begin to bring up my weaknesses. If I did my calculations on defense correctly then the shock troopers can have a potentially un-hittable defense. I understand stuff like missiles/grenades or flamethrower, or any thing like push and lightning. Could be very deadly towards me. Which is why Vader would work somewhat decent as running interference for those kind of people, right? I don't expect to win whole tournaments with this, just a fun possible win squad.

-RevRevGar
MarkIV
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2009 9:28:25 PM

RevRevGar wrote:
[http://bloomilk.com/Squads/ViewSquad.aspx?SquadID=31837]

--Vader's Missiles--
53 Darth Vader, Imperial Commander
23 Lando Calrissian, Hero of Taanab
22 Imperial Governor Tarkin
16 Felucian Stormtrooper Officer
65 Shock Trooper x5
8 Mas Amedda
12 Ugnaught Demolitionist x4
(199pts. 14 activations)

So, does this Squadron have any legitimacy in competitive play?

A few points before you all begin to bring up my weaknesses. If I did my calculations on defense correctly then the shock troopers can have a potentially un-hittable defense. I understand stuff like missiles/grenades or flamethrower, or any thing like push and lightning. Could be very deadly towards me. Which is why Vader would work somewhat decent as running interference for those kind of people, right? I don't expect to win whole tournaments with this, just a fun possible win squad.

-RevRevGar

Galloping attack still means yoda on a kybuck hits on 8s even WITH squad cover and 4s without it. you could lose your full contingent of firepower in one particularly unpleasant phase.

That said, this might fare pretty well against a lot of other threats. Tarkin's pretty worthless, you're never going to triple with vader unless your opponent is a twit, and lando tripling isn't worth another 20+ points of attacker. or drop him and a couple uggies, lobot (who should probably bring in a hbgd and 3 uggies) (old lobot). I like that it kinda just says "screw you" to the retardedly high defense, evading squads.

Stealth characters are going to be kinda nasty for you to deal with since they can't be hit until they're in striking range(generally) I'm envisioning someone running say, mara 14 squares into the middle of your cluster so she's basing 2 or 3 of your shockies.

RevRevGar
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2009 4:42:38 AM

I would never expect to win against a Kybuck squad, thats for sure. But the reason I have Lando is so that he can give them mobile. And Tarkin is there mostly for his doctrine of fear, more of a "Hey look, your basing me, now you have 4 less attack." Stealth was one of my major fears, any cheap force sense characters?

-RevRevGar
amsnow
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2009 4:56:07 AM

RevRevGar wrote:
I would never expect to win against a Kybuck squad, thats for sure. But the reason I have Lando is so that he can give them mobile. And Tarkin is there mostly for his doctrine of fear, more of a "Hey look, your basing me, now you have 4 less attack." Stealth was one of my major fears, any cheap force sense characters?

-RevRevGar

i would also drop tarkin, doctrine doesnt do much when your just using missiles. i would drop lando for more shocks or even lobot. i thought about running this squad too based on that way crazy defense, but the problem with it is they have to have cover and other shocks near by, so its kind of a glass cannon. and as far as imp force sense i think the only character for imperials that has it is vader unleashed and obviously you cant put him in there with imp comm. another squad this would have a hard time against is yoda cs squads with double saves, but i would try it at least once and see how it goes
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2009 4:57:52 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Vader Unleashed, but you lose your V Commander Def bonus.
RevRevGar
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2009 5:12:17 AM

Blob Barker/amsnow wrote:
i would also drop tarkin, doctrine doesnt do much when your just using missiles. i would drop lando for more shocks or even lobot.....another squad this would have a hard time against is yoda cs squads with double saves, but i would try it at least once and see how it goes

It seems a lot of you are saying take out Tarkin so I might as well, but only after play testing. And is Lando giving mobile not as beneficial as I see it being? My opponent having double saves would suck.

And when people get up in my face the shockies do have a +6 attack for 10 damage. It might be crappy but at least they don't have to missile themselves.

-RevRevGar
Sithfan
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2009 5:48:15 AM

Quote:
It seems a lot of you are saying take out Tarkin so I might as well, but only after play testing. And is Lando giving mobile not as beneficial as I see it being? My opponent having double saves would suck.

And when people get up in my face the shockies do have a +6 attack for 10 damage. It might be crappy but at least they don't have to missile themselves.

-RevRevGar

I would drop Tarkin, Vader and one shock trooper, but bring in Vader unleashed (force sense) and GA Thrawn (force immunity for the the missilers, +3 def, and swap)

You would lose 3 defense but gain "no force rerolls" for any shockers within 6 of thrawn, also defense against lightning/push/etc... Just remember that Vader can't use force either within 6 of thrawn...
amsnow
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2009 3:54:47 PM

i would use this squad on wednesday when we do the one character any faction night, throw in tarpals
vanlanning
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2009 5:28:40 PM

ouch. That's sure to hurt if you play yobuck, or the other way around V.S. Dac and battle droids, they'll take a pounding.
RevRevGar
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2009 6:51:58 PM

i would use this squad on wednesday when we do the one character any faction night, throw in tarpals

Exactly what I was thinking. But I don't know if Daniel has that many shockies...

-RevRevGar
MarkIV
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2009 8:08:58 PM

RevRevGar wrote:
[quote=Blob Barker/amsnow]My opponent having double saves would suck.

-RevRevGar

double attack is does not allow you to double missiles, it replaces ATTACKS all of them
RevRevGar
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2009 2:06:29 AM

MarkIV wrote:
double attack is does not allow you to double missiles, it replaces ATTACKS all of them

If I remember correctly Tarpals will allow me to do any ability that replaces attacks twice rather than just once. So with him in my squad I can double Missile.

Captain Tarpals wrote:
Each follower can use 2 abilities that replace attacks instead of 1 on its turn.

And if you were referring to the double saves idea, considering you quoted that, we weren't saying they get double attack, we were saying that with one of the Yoda's they can re-roll failed saves, so if they fail the save for my missiles they can roll it again.

Yoda wrote:
Followers within 6 squares may reroll each failed save once.

-RevRevGar
amsnow
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2009 4:00:46 AM

RevRevGar wrote:

Exactly what I was thinking. But I don't know if Daniel has that many shockies...

-RevRevGar

if im there ill loan you a few
RevRevGar
Posted: Sunday, March 29, 2009 11:00:04 AM

Wow, thanks! I probably wont be able to make it this Wednesday but I appreciate the thought.

-RevRevGar
amsnow
Posted: Sunday, March 29, 2009 6:23:59 PM

RevRevGar wrote:

Wow, thanks! I probably wont be able to make it this Wednesday but I appreciate the thought.

-RevRevGar

i dont think i will be either, i might not be there for a while, my bro says he's quitting, but its hard to tell for sure, i think he just got a little heated last event and took things out of context. but if he is quitting i wont be there untill i get my license