RegisterDonateLogin

Unlikely to lead to fear, anger, hate or suffering.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Sep. 25th Event in Leonardtown, MD - Results & Play Reports! Options
Demosthenes
Posted: Monday, September 27, 2010 8:46:01 AM
Groups: Member

So here's how the night went for everyone!

Our first tournament was a straight-up 200-point Tournament using the Restricted Map List and 45-minute rounds. We ended up with 6 players, which was a good enough number for the small space, though of course having more people woulda been nice. =)

The Competitors were:
Myself
Ted (Eroschilles)
Jim (Darth_Jim)
Ed (General_Ed)
Ian (Jester007)
JJ

Round 1:
Jim defeats JJ, 220-7
Ted defeats Justin, 208-27
Ian defeats Ed, 63-61

Round 2:
Jim defeats Ed, 67-54
Justin defeats JJ, 222-15
Ted defeats Ian, 119-8

Round 3:
Justin defeats Ian, 201-112
Ted defeats Jim
Ed defeats JJ

We decided to forgo the fourth round because the winner was clearly evident after three rounds, and also to give ourselves more time for other events.

Final Standings, 200 Tournament:
1st. Ted: 3-0, 8 points
2nd. Justin: 2-1, 6 points
3rd. Jim: 2-1, 5 points
4th. Ian: 1-2, 2 points
5th. Ed: 1-2, 2 points
6th. JJ: 0-3, 0 points

And then we moved on to our Mystery Map Tournament! This was a tiered event where competitors played 1 match at 100 points, 1 match at 150 points, and then 2 matches at 200 points. The Mystery Maps we used were none other than Jedi Cartographer's Map Pack 4 maps. They were some great maps to play on, and tons of fun was had by all.

Round 1:
Justin defeats Jim, 3 pt. win
Ed defeats Ted, 3 pt. win
Ian defeats JJ, 2 pt. win

Round 2:
Justin defeats Ted, 3 pt. win
Ian defeats Ed, 3 pt. win
Jim defeats JJ, 3 pt. win

Round 3:
Justin defeats Ian, 2 pt. win
Ted defeats JJ, 3 pt. win
Jim defeats Ed, 3 pt. win

Round 4
Jim defeats Justin, 3 pt. win
Ted defeats Ian, 3 pt. win
Ed defeats JJ, 3 pt. win

Final Standings:
1. Jim (3-1, 9 points)
2. Justin (3-1, 8 points)
3. Ed (2-2, 6 points)
4. Ted (2-2, 6 points
5. Ian (2-2, 5 points)
6. JJ (0-4, 0 points)
----------------------

And the final, compiled standings for the whole event are:
1. Justin (5-2, 14 points, 4 complete victories, 2-2 vs Jim and Ted, 14-11 opponent record)
2. Ted (5-2, 14 points, 4 complete victories, 1-1 vs Justin, 1-0 vs. Jim, 12-13 opponent record)
3. Jim (5-2, 14 points, 4 complete victories, 1-1 vs. Justin, 0-1 vs. Ted)
4. Ed (3-4, 8 points)
5. Ian (3-4, 7 points)
6. JJ (0-7, 0 points)

Now, this wasn't a competitive tournament, I just like doing things with numbers and statistics, lol. Fun was had by all, and we had some pretty nifty prize support. We had a Map Pack 4 donated by Jedi Cartographer, and 4 IE boosters. The IE boosters had R2-D2 Extended Sensor, Dash Renegade Smuggler, Xizor, and Leia Bounty Hunter / Mouse Droid.

Hopefully we can do this event again real soon!
Demosthenes
Posted: Monday, September 27, 2010 9:23:42 AM

My 200 Tournament squad:
115 Grand Master Luke Skywalker
29 Ganner Rhysode
25 Leia Skywalker, Jedi Knight
9 General Dodonna
8 R7 Astromech Droid
6 Mouse Droid x2
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2

I realize this squad doesn't have much damage output, but I just wanted to have fun lobbing GMLS all over the place and getting free rerolls from Leia.

Round 1 vs. Ted
Rancor Pit
Ted was running a souped-up Mando squad with Boba Merc Commander, Quartermaster, Scouts, Gunslinger, and Jedi Hunter. We played on his map, and I chose the Rancor Pen side. First round or two was spent positioning, and in the third round I made the mistake of lobbing GMLS 1 space too far, and he took a crapload of attacks. Ted's TBSV managed to activate him with Jolt (again, I was 1 space too far to get Leia's commander effect) and GMLS was taken out pretty quickly. And that's all I have to say about that, lol.
Loss, 0-1.

Round 2 vs. JJ
Ravaged Base
JJ is a really new player, so I felt bad lobbing GMLS at him, but throughout our match I saw some very sound tactics from him. He was running a Thrawn swap squad with Darth Vader (SS 07 version), IG-88 Assassin Droid, Arica, and filler. I started outside of the base, and in the 2nd round I was able to lob GMLS adjacent to IG-88 and take him out pretty quickly. I then lobbed GMLS to take out Vader, and it was mop-up duty after that.
Win, 1-1, 3 pts.

Round 3 vs. Ian
Rancor Pit
Ian was running a Massiff swarm squad with Han in STA, the Leia that grants an additional attack at the end of her turn, Jax Pavan, and filler. I took the non-Pen side of the map this time, which proved to be a good idea. I ran Leia and Ganner up and inadvertently blocked the door since they were surrounded by Massiffs, so GMLS sat idle for a round. This match was the time that Leia and Ganner shone. Ganner's Lightsaber Sweep and Leia's Lightsaber Throw 2 both proved to be invaluable at laying some hurt on the Massiffs. Once one of them ate it (I can't remember which one died), GMLS stepped up and laid a beat down on some Massiffs. After that, he just had to chase down the rest of the squad.
Win, 2-1, 6 points.
Darth_Jim
Posted: Monday, September 27, 2010 8:08:47 PM

I'd like to thank Justin and Ted for their hospitality Saturday. Justin did a great job organizing his first tournament, and establishing a new place to play. While a 3.5 hour drive prohibits us from making it down there on a regular basis, I hope that we can do it again sometime.

It should be noted that Justin and Ted worked this out with the store owner AFTER WOTC bowed out. I think that is significant because many in our community are finding it difficult to play in venues because they think our game is dead. I personally thanked 'Big Larry', the store owner for his support. In our conversation he mentioned in passing that he liked working with the kind of people Ted and Justin are. That tells me that our attitude and approach can go a long way in establishing new places to play. Prize support ideas will be different from place to place, and we should be flexible and creative like Justin was here. Well done, guys...way to grow the game.
Jedicartographer
Posted: Tuesday, September 28, 2010 5:29:31 AM

I'm sorely depressed I couln't make it. How did the maps work out?
Demosthenes
Posted: Tuesday, September 28, 2010 5:51:56 AM

@Jim: We were glad to have you guys come, and were also excited to hear that you were bringing along some players, both new faces and old. To be honest, Larry made it really easy on us. He's a really nice guy who was more than happy to give us a place to play and have tons of fun. A lot of credit goes to you too, Jim, for helping me out with the logistics of the Tournament and figuring out how everything was going to work. So thank you, and I'm just happy I have such god friends in the game, and a great place to play!

@Matt: Yea we were bummed to hear you couldn't make it, but just hope we'll be able to wrangle you into a Tournament up here in the new future, heh. The maps were excellent! What we did each round was make sure that nobody played on a map that they had already played on, so there was plenty of variety going around. Thank you so much for donating the Map Pack, and I look forward to playing on them well into the future.
Darth_Jim
Posted: Tuesday, September 28, 2010 8:49:21 AM

Demosthenes wrote:
So thank you, and I'm just happy I have such god friends in the game, and a great place to play!

I am not a god.
Demosthenes
Posted: Tuesday, September 28, 2010 8:59:33 AM

Au contraire, mon frère! I have the picture to prove that you are!

Darth Jim, lording over all his minis!
Darth_Jim
Posted: Tuesday, September 28, 2010 9:32:24 AM

Big Larry lied to me! He said that was a good pic lol!
General Ed
Posted: Sunday, October 17, 2010 1:24:45 AM

That was a close game in that pic. I tried for a kill instead of locking a door. Cost me the game but it was quite a gamble. Just couldn't get that last 10 points off Yobuck. I was winning until that point. Flew Dash in and killed Arica.

It's against Jim's programming to impersonate a deity.