RegisterDonateLogin

Twin suns got you down? Cool off with Bloo Milk.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Hall of Fame Options
Opan Windu
Posted: Monday, March 2, 2009 3:57:32 AM
Groups: Member

What about a hall of fame for the squads that are out of date and are on the top five. It would give credit to the older proven for their time squads and free up the top five to more reflect the current meta.
LoboStele
Posted: Monday, March 2, 2009 5:41:10 AM

That's really an interesting idea. You could set the top 5 to filter things such that the squad would have to include for instance, pieces from the last 2 sets or something. Or, could make it so that squads created more than 6-9 months ago automatically roll off the top 5 list.

It isn't a perfect idea, because sometimes, old squads will still be worth running (for instance, NR squads are still good right now, and will be after IE, even without any IE or CW pieces). So, that's why I was thinking maybe the cut-off of 9 months or so for squad creation.

If someone's squad was on the top 5 and it gets bumped due to the time since it was created, if it's still viable in the current meta, then they can just recreate it, and hope it gets enough votes again to get back on the top 5 list.

I think part of the problem is that the Top 5 rating seems to be partly based on the actual rating, and partly based on the number of votes it has. I understand the need to create a 'threshold' of minimum votes that have to be acquired to make the list at all, but right now, of the squads that are over, say, 50 votes, the ones with the highest ratings are not actually the ones in the 1st place position.
RannKonnar
Posted: Monday, March 2, 2009 6:29:18 AM

This would be cool.
Uggie Demo
Posted: Monday, March 2, 2009 7:23:25 AM

I vote yes!!!
Robin
Posted: Monday, March 2, 2009 4:51:36 PM

I think its a good idea
Mickey
Posted: Tuesday, March 3, 2009 2:47:52 AM

Sorry I think it is a bad idea. Right now shinja is having trouble enough solving the problem with people bumping their own squad ratings. Adding another reason to bump your squad rating would only fuel the fire. I'm sure he has better things to do with the site than feed peoples' glory seeking.

Right now the ratings system serves NO I repeat NO purpose because people are finding ways to bump their own squad ratings. I don't even bother with the ratings. They do not reflect what a squad can do because of all the bumping. I end up reading them all. With all the bickering on here I can easily see people ranking squads out of anger with a 1 just to drop the rating. I posted alot of this in another thread.

I personally think the rating system should be scrapped and go to a comment thread section only where people can post their approval and disapproval with comments. Then rank the squads by the number of actual comments. The commenter can then select to rate the squad as good (+1), average (0) or bad(-1). But they can only rate it with a comment added.
LoboStele
Posted: Tuesday, March 3, 2009 3:02:13 AM

See, now I don't think that's entirely true. If I go to the squads section, and I search under 150 points for everything that has 25 or more votes, there's actually a LOT of good squads in there, and very few that I would think shouldn't be posted at all. And yes, there are at least a few people that are abusing the system. However, I think there's a large majority of people who are using it correctly, and that is shown by the fact that the squads that many people agree are the top squads at their local venues, or at the national level tournies, are also the ones at the top of the lists in the squad ratings here.

So yes, the system is slightly flawed, but overall, it's working OK. Could it be better? Well yeah, you can always improve things.

I think this suggestion here is actually a really awesome one. As it stands right now, there's almost no chance of Billiv15's Speedy Cannon or my NR Anti-CW squads being bumped from the top spots in the 150 and 200 point categories, respectively. But you know what, if some new piece comes out that causes Speedy Cannon or NR squads to not be nearly as effective anymore, I don't really expect every single person to go back and re-rate those squads differently. If the Top 5 lists were trimmed after so much time, then the squads that naturally become 'old' and not as competitive anymore would quietly disappear. If there's some sort of 'overall ranking', they would still show up if you searched that way. But at least it would give other people, and other newer squads, a chance to rise to those top slots.
shinja
Posted: Tuesday, March 3, 2009 3:34:11 AM
Groups: Administration

Yeah, it's a great idea. I'll look into it, but don't expect anything right away.
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Thursday, March 5, 2009 2:59:44 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

You could just make it so that squads that get so many votes, something really high like 150 or more, automatically go into the Bloo Milk Hall of Fame. That way they would get a lot of recognition still, but it would allow for the Top 5 squads to rotate.

Just a thought...
Mickey
Posted: Thursday, March 5, 2009 3:08:12 AM

Is there currently a way to search squads based on a number of votes, maybe a range of votes?
CherryPenguin
Posted: Thursday, March 5, 2009 3:26:33 AM
Groups: Administration , Member, Trade Moderator

There isn't one currently. Aaron will work on that search feature after he finishes the behind the scenes stuff he is working on. Also, he wants to have a Hall of Fame, but he isn't sure how he is going to do that yet.
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Monday, March 9, 2009 1:59:02 AM

Just bumping because I think this would be a really cool feature and would help with the Top 5 lists as well.
mercenary_moose
Posted: Monday, March 9, 2009 9:46:09 AM

Sadly, I do think that Mickey has a point. As much as I'd like to see this happen, I don't think it would end up well.
ChuckaFett
Posted: Monday, March 9, 2009 1:37:18 PM
Groups: Member , Trade Moderator

Mickey wrote:
Is there currently a way to search squads based on a number of votes, maybe a range of votes?

If you go to the "Squad Ratings" tab you can filter by number of votes. Is that what you're looking for Mickey?
Uggie Demo
Posted: Friday, April 3, 2009 1:21:48 PM

I think shinja should take action ASAP some droid squads are at the top and we all know that almost all droid squads are not competive because of the new IE characters, good squads but out dated, Hall of Fame or whatever shinja needs to do something.
shinja
Posted: Wednesday, April 8, 2009 5:10:19 AM

The Top Squads listed on the My Squads page are now squads that were created within the last 4 months.

There is a new page for all-time Top Squads available at http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/TopSquads.aspx .
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Wednesday, April 8, 2009 5:16:04 AM

Very nice. And I like how you removed the rankings in the user squads page. Helps reduce the amount of "self voting".
shinja
Posted: Wednesday, April 8, 2009 6:02:15 AM

imyurhukaberry wrote:
Very nice. And I like how you removed the rankings in the user squads page. Helps reduce the amount of "self voting".

Heh, I'd actually like to add that back in when I can. I removed it because the page was loading really slowly with my 300+ squads on it. I like to be able to see what I rated my own squad, because sometimes the name alone isn't enough for me to remember whether it was a good squad or not.
Lambalazar
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 5:00:34 PM

I'd just like to say thanks to Shinja for adding this new page in. It really feels cool to have the number 3 150-point squad on the site, even though it means nothing in real life, haha.

Nefertiti
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 10:50:21 AM

New Top 5 is nice ThumpUp. I also think squads should require 10 votes to appear in the Top, no more. Because there are so many new squads right now, it will be too hard to get 20 votes in 4 months. And it would really help to see creative squads reflecting the current meta! Love