RegisterDonateLogin

Has brought peace, freedom, and security to the new Empire.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

(Vassal Imposter) what are you thinking? Options
dreadtech
Posted: Wednesday, June 8, 2011 10:32:06 AM
Groups: Member

I stopped playing on Vassel for this reason. Our last two games had this happen.
Demosthenes
Posted: Wednesday, June 8, 2011 10:59:42 AM

Don't stop playing Vassal because of this, you're doing exactly what this troublemaker wants you to do. Instead, just lock your rooms, and if people want to watch, they can ask for an invite. If you want to let them in, you can. If not, then don't. But don't let them push you around.
Lobotnik
Posted: Wednesday, June 8, 2011 9:32:27 PM

Can you kick someone from a locked room if they do pretend to be someone you know and you let them in?

And yeah, it really sucks that someone does this but we can't let them win by stopping playing on Vassal. For some of us it is practically the only game time we get.
Segastorm
Posted: Wednesday, June 8, 2011 9:56:22 PM

"Lobotnik" wrote:
Can you kick someone from a locked room if they do pretend to be someone you know and you let them in?

Yes you can, but you have to be the first player there, which really is bad for me since I lag out about every 30 minutes.

Weeks
Posted: Wednesday, June 8, 2011 11:33:28 PM

Don't stop playing vassal because of this. Vassal is a very useful tool to help people with their game. I know it's where I play every one of my non regional or gencon games at, and countless others as well. If someone (we all know who) is trying to break that up just boot them from the room.
Biggsy
Posted: Thursday, June 9, 2011 12:23:59 AM

Wow the guy doing this is a really pathetic individual. What a sorry excuse for a life he must have, to have nothing better to do than this.

Well regardless of the occasional loser/imposter, i wish i was in the same timezone as some of you, so i'd actually be able to play on VASSAL.
Lobotnik
Posted: Thursday, June 9, 2011 1:39:59 AM

@Segastorm - ah, it works the same as invite then, as when my brother's internet failed we had to start a new room because I could not invite him back in lol.

@biggsy - We are only 1 hour apart, as is my brother. When do you normally have time for Vassal, maybe we can arrange something. Also, my bro is Wannabe Mexican so you can ask him also. I don't get too much time as I am working quite a lot now and due to get married in 2 weeks which will hamper my SWM play a little, but my bro is still a student so is on there quite a bit.
plokoon9619
Posted: Thursday, June 9, 2011 9:51:43 AM

Yea I stopped playing all around.
Segastorm
Posted: Thursday, June 9, 2011 10:22:37 AM

this guy has hurt the VASSAL community bad. Every time I came on today, I only saw two guys today, they both were in a locked room, I saw no one else at all yet. We can't let this guy do this to us, we gotta come back to VASSAL and ignore him so he'll get tired and stop this mess.
creme_brule
Posted: Thursday, June 9, 2011 12:51:28 PM

^ I agree with Sega. But I don't think its proper to fight fire with fire in this case; as that will just show that we're no better than him (her). If only there was a way to attain IP addresses...
Sashlon
Posted: Saturday, June 11, 2011 10:26:41 PM

I've had a couple of games disrupted by this person.

I agree with what others have said; we can't let them turn us off playing on vassal because it is such an awesome tool. Especially for people like me who have no playgroup.

The whole stealing people's usernames is a bit disconcerting. We need to be careful to not jump to conclusions when we see a usually solid community member's username saying and doing odd/offensive stuff, because it may very well not even be them.

Lets be strong together as a community of playersBlooMilk
Weeks
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2011 2:06:44 AM

Apparently he used my name yesterday. It clearly wasn't me as I was in Charlotte all day. I think someone tracked his ip adress.
Demosthenes
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2011 2:17:32 AM

That would be me. I've been wondering if I should release it publicly or just give it to some persons in charge, because if I make it public he might be able to change his IP. Besides, he's using Comcast, so it's a Dynamic IP anyways. However, if you get his IP and google the number, you can find out where it's coming from and it should be the same place every time.
creme_brule
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2011 11:06:00 AM

Demosthenes wrote:
That would be me. I've been wondering if I should release it publicly or just give it to some persons in charge, because if I make it public he might be able to change his IP. Besides, he's using Comcast, so it's a Dynamic IP anyways. However, if you get his IP and google the number, you can find out where it's coming from and it should be the same place every time.

Yay for Computer whizzes! Hopefully this should stop the problem.