RegisterDonateLogin

Official beverage of the Boonta Eve Classic.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

wish upon a shinja star Options
CerousMutor
Posted: Sunday, July 29, 2012 3:36:30 AM
Groups: Member

TheHutts wrote:
Darth O wrote:
MaliciousCrumb wrote:
I would like to see who the people are that rate your customs and squads a 1 for no reason other than to make their squads seem better. I know that some people (including me) know other people do this, but don't know who they are.

I agree. They should be named and shamed, and shouldn't be allowed to create or rate squads.

We're talking about chronic 1 droppers, right? I think it should be OK to rate a squad a 1 without being named or shamed. Otherwise we might as well start the scale at 4. Although if you think a squad's really bad, it is polite to comment and let them know why as well.

One problem with making a 1 public, is that if an experienced player gives a new player a 1 for a legitimately poor squad, that new player will upset and tempted to strike back with a whole bunch of 1s. There are benefits to it being anonymous, although I also do think it's dumb when people use 1 bombing to manipulate the squad ratings.

This could be fixed by making it so you can only vote if you leave a comment, that way it makes the whole custom process more constructive ThumbsUp
I love getting imput on a custom, lets you see thngs you miss!
jak
Posted: Sunday, July 29, 2012 7:13:07 AM

wow! again?Confused
the ratings aren't going to change.
new guys will have to except it.Unsure
it is not to be taken seriously,as it has no real merit.
it's just for fun.LOL
when a 1 bomberBomb gets a reaction from the squad builder,
it's just what they want, they are laughingLaugh at your anger.Cursing
ignore them,Sleep and they will stop, or at least move on the another "victim"
MaliciousCrumb
Posted: Sunday, July 29, 2012 1:21:28 PM

CerousMutor wrote:
TheHutts wrote:
Darth O wrote:
MaliciousCrumb wrote:
I would like to see who the people are that rate your customs and squads a 1 for no reason other than to make their squads seem better. I know that some people (including me) know other people do this, but don't know who they are.

I agree. They should be named and shamed, and shouldn't be allowed to create or rate squads.

We're talking about chronic 1 droppers, right? I think it should be OK to rate a squad a 1 without being named or shamed. Otherwise we might as well start the scale at 4. Although if you think a squad's really bad, it is polite to comment and let them know why as well.

One problem with making a 1 public, is that if an experienced player gives a new player a 1 for a legitimately poor squad, that new player will upset and tempted to strike back with a whole bunch of 1s. There are benefits to it being anonymous, although I also do think it's dumb when people use 1 bombing to manipulate the squad ratings.

This could be fixed by making it so you can only vote if you leave a comment, that way it makes the whole custom process more constructive ThumbsUp
I love getting imput on a custom, lets you see thngs you miss!

That's an excellent idea! That solves all the problems!ThumbsUp
Sithborg
Posted: Sunday, July 29, 2012 5:50:04 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

Which is all fine and dandy, until the fueds start, which happened even without public knowledge of who posted. And then there is the issue of difficulty of enforcing it? How many characters are they supposed to put in the comment? And what happens when you get "......." or worse, varients on "it sucks". Which will get those of you upset with 1s even more upset. And will require the mods to do even more moderation.

I've seen it before on other sites. Just acknowledge that the ratings are meaningless, and don't put too much emotion into them. It would've saved the mods a lot of trouble.
CerousMutor
Posted: Sunday, July 29, 2012 11:58:36 PM

Sithborg wrote:
Which is all fine and dandy, until the fueds start, which happened even without public knowledge of who posted. And then there is the issue of difficulty of enforcing it? How many characters are they supposed to put in the comment? And what happens when you get "......." or worse, varients on "it sucks". Which will get those of you upset with 1s even more upset. And will require the mods to do even more moderation.

I've seen it before on other sites. Just acknowledge that the ratings are meaningless, and don't put too much emotion into them. It would've saved the mods a lot of trouble.

Playing devils advocaat here ;)
As a mod I dont think you should be saying the votes are meaningless. Casting a 1 for a 1's sake, thats trolling right?
The people who put effort into their customs cant wait to see if someone has taken the time to read through their post to leave some crit and and a vote. So to have it voted 1 for poop and giggles may mean nothing to you and old joe blogs, but how many 1's will the OP custom maker take before they say "GTF with SW minis, pokemon still rules anyway!"
Where is the famous community spirit?

We have a pretty good care system for trades, granted that can go opear shaped at times but we look after each other right?

We have a voting system, it should be appreciated and cared for too!

End of the Advocaat...blasted, nothing left to do but admit it then.

All the 1's are me mwooohahaha
BigGrin
jak
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2012 8:43:52 AM

CerousMutor wrote:

BigGrin

problem solvedLOL
Sithborg
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2012 1:02:00 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

CerousMutor wrote:
Playing devils advocaat here ;)
As a mod I dont think you should be saying the votes are meaningless. Casting a 1 for a 1's sake, thats trolling right?
The people who put effort into their customs cant wait to see if someone has taken the time to read through their post to leave some crit and and a vote. So to have it voted 1 for poop and giggles may mean nothing to you and old joe blogs, but how many 1's will the OP custom maker take before they say "GTF with SW minis, pokemon still rules anyway!"
Where is the famous community spirit?

We have a pretty good care system for trades, granted that can go opear shaped at times but we look after each other right?

We have a voting system, it should be appreciated and cared for too!

End of the Advocaat...blasted, nothing left to do but admit it then.

BigGrin

Personally, the ideal is just comments, no ratings. Ratings are a very, very limited form of feedback. Maybe reducing the rating down to a facebook-esque "like" function would be better.

My big problem with public ratings, is what will happen when a troll who doesn't care goes off. There have been far too many incidents for me to say "if". And those are a pain. And have nearly caused me to quit the game.
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2012 1:17:01 PM

Sithborg wrote:

Personally, the ideal is just comments, no ratings. Ratings are a very, very limited form of feedback. Maybe reducing the rating down to a facebook-esque "like" function would be better.

I like this idea, actually. It'd be cool to have a section of most liked squads. Of course, people can make fake accounts and like their own squads 58 times, but it at least stops some abuse.
swinefeld
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2012 1:40:43 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Sithborg wrote:
My big problem with public ratings, is what will happen when a troll who doesn't care goes off. There have been far too many incidents for me to say "if". And those are a pain. And have nearly caused me to quit the game.

I was going to say something similar to this. Totally agree that just having comments are the ideal.

A "Like" button would be fine, especially since there is no metric to determine what a single numeric rating represents.
CerousMutor
Posted: Thursday, August 2, 2012 3:22:30 AM

I like likeBigGrin
MaliciousCrumb
Posted: Wednesday, September 5, 2012 4:18:12 PM

I think that adding the proxy miniature to V-sets would be nice, so you can see which Yoda, Jabba, etc. the V-set used. It's not urgent or important, but it is just something that could add a bit more to the site.
swinefeld
Posted: Wednesday, September 5, 2012 7:34:08 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

MaliciousCrumb wrote:
I think that adding the proxy miniature to V-sets would be nice, so you can see which Yoda, Jabba, etc. the V-set used. It's not urgent or important, but it is just something that could add a bit more to the site.

You mean have the name/set# listed I presume? Sounds like a good idea to me.
jak
Posted: Saturday, October 13, 2012 12:35:23 AM

jak wrote:
jak wrote:
Love Heart can't wait to have v-set 3 in the squad builder!ThumbsUpThumpUp ThumbsUp

why is it taking so long this time?
has any one heard from shinja lately?

new set,ThumpUp same questionThumbDown
Darthbane53
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2012 1:53:13 PM

*Whistles jeapordy theme*
keet fisto
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2012 4:05:13 PM

MaliciousCrumb wrote:

Agree.