RegisterDonateLogin

Cheaper than a Universe booster.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Pet Peeves of Star Wars: Clones Wars (Cartoons) Options
creme_brule
Posted: Monday, November 7, 2011 3:00:03 PM
Groups: Member

Alright, the show is pretty amazing, but there just a few things that simply ANNOY me during the show's production:

-Creation of Savage Opress: How can a n00b dark jedi trained for less than a month by Dooku defeat not only Dooku's ex-assassin, but also Obi-Wan AND Anakin ("The Chosen One" -- the guy who defeated both the Father's daughter/son)....AND was shot a bunch by droids and still survived. Seriously, where's the logistics in that?

-Exchange of Anakin for General Grievous in "Shadow Warrior": Tarpals sacrificed his life to capture General Grievous, and Padme and Jar Jar disregard his sacrifice and decide to exchange the key to the end of the war for a single jedi (he could of brought balance to the force ~50 years earlier if they didn't do the Ani-Grievous exchange!).

And the most recent one...: General Pong Krell: Not only does his stereotypical asian name + goatee annoy me, but his methods of executing commands. How can a world (galaxy)-renowned Jedi Master be known for his ability to complete missions if all he does is send his troops in a straight formation in a "suicide-mission"? The droid army does almost the exact same thing and they almost always fail! It would make a difference if Krell lead his troops but no he sits in the back and just surveys his troops getting cut down.

And of course...Ahsoka. Her preppy-spunky attitude annoys me. Sneaky I'll be happy when they kill her off in Season 5 lol.

Whew...just had to get that out there. It's not really the canon issues that annoy me, but the logistics of things. Any pet peeves of CW for you guys?
empirejeff
Posted: Tuesday, November 8, 2011 3:42:21 AM

That clones wars from some years back was a thousand times better than this one.
EmporerDragon
Posted: Tuesday, November 8, 2011 4:22:30 AM

It's the canon contradictions that annoy the crap out of me, primarily because the authors get told by the holocron managers that "No, you can't use this character (Eeth Koth), he's dead" or "You can't kill this character (Evan Piell), he survives the clone wars and is featured in several novels", then they go to Lucas and he tells them to go ahead as he doesn't care about the EU. It's like when a kid gets told no by one parent then goes and asks the other.
Dimetrodon
Posted: Tuesday, November 8, 2011 10:50:22 AM

EmporerDragon wrote:
It's the canon contradictions that annoy the crap out of me, primarily because the authors get told by the holocron managers that "No, you can't use this character (Eeth Koth), he's dead" or "You can't kill this character (Evan Piell), he survives the clone wars and is featured in several novels", then they go to Lucas and he tells them to go ahead as he doesn't care about the EU. It's like when a kid gets told no by one parent then goes and asks the other.

Yeah I'll have to go with this stuff being the biggest peeve. I don't mind some minor tinkering, I can look past it, but the stuff like Even Piell' situation is just wrong. Whats the point of having EU if everyone just gets to do whatever they want? More and more the lot of SW feels more like fan fiction than actual canon.

Otherwise than that not much else bothers me with the Clone Wars. The Mandalorian stuff was a bit of a WTF moment, but I got around it quick enough. It was written well enough to be acceptable for the most part.

The Anakin/Grievous exchange is just terrible though. It was pointed out to me by someone else that it shows that it is not just Anakin who makes poor choices in regards to the relationship though. It showed a major weakness in Padme. For that I give them credit, but not to the extent they went to show it.

OH wait, i lied. My real biggest peeve is

SHOWING STORIES OUT OF ******* ORDER

just because ol turkey neck did it, doesn't mean the show has to as well. It is pretty confusing when they go all over. Sometimes it is obvious like with various Cad Bane episodes, but other times it is certainly not. Like the two episodes involving Christophsis or episodes where Onaconda is still alive in the background. It would be nice if they made it more apparent when stuff is out of order.

p.s. the Micro Series was awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYI9FDbfk5U
Mando
Posted: Tuesday, November 8, 2011 11:18:50 AM

I love the Clone Wars TV series. Pretty well done for the most part. However, some things do irk me. Pong Krell. Is this guy even a jedi? I really can't tell by the way he acts. Even Mace Windu, who is as serious as they come and shows little attachment to those under his command, doesn't disregard them and send them on suicide missions.In fact Mace is a front line commander and actually does care about his troops by saving them from dieing in many instances on Ryloth (for example the laser bridge). I really hope they are not just making this character to be a cool looking anti-anakin. I will be dissappointed they couldn't think of a better way to make the character.

As far as earlier comments about Savage Opress, I would have to a say a guy who was transformed by the Nightsisters to be a beasty warrior is going to be able to take and dish out some major pain. I thought it was rather cool when he did the Repulse against all the droids after taking a few hits. I do beleive he has some really good armor to take those hits. As far as I'm concerned, The Force Unleashed ruined star wars as far as force users. Talk about way to good it just overkill.

I also have an issue with Greivous's lack of "OMG this guy is a insane warrior" when all we see is him run away every time! I could understand a couple times...but not every time. Why can't they have the jedi run from him? Isn't this guy a jedi destroyer? How does he get those lightsabers if he never actually kills jedi? Maybe they should bring in Durge and show how its done. I want to see a really good fighting Grevious.

Another issue is the lack of order in chronology. Its annoying to wait for the ned of the series in order to compile a list of in order episodes and then watch them in a row with out thinking about who is still alive and why.
creme_brule
Posted: Tuesday, November 8, 2011 11:59:12 AM

Gotta agree with you there ED. The Evan Piell really annoyed me as well, now that I realize he was supposed to be alive in the EU. Previously I thought he died during the CWs....apparently not.

As for Eeth Koth....I thought he was Agen Kolar. Blink They look so similar!
Dimetrodon
Posted: Tuesday, November 8, 2011 12:27:34 PM

Mando wrote:
However, some things do irk me. Pong Krell. Is this guy even a jedi? I really can't tell by the way he acts.

he is a Traviss Jedi lol

wannabe mexican
Posted: Wednesday, November 9, 2011 11:49:36 PM

It is the Gungans that annoy me. I mean WHY? Why have them come and save Mon Cal? It just upsets me.

Generally I like the show. I don't think anything will compare to the episodes on Geonosis though, in season 2 I think? They were fantastic.

On a note relating to the Cartoon Show from all those years back:

Clones in action

and

More clones in action

Also, the Aqualish Warrior is from this show, which has made him one of my favourite non-unique useless minis.
Turkish
Posted: Friday, November 11, 2011 9:40:58 PM

I actually love General Krell and the dynamic that he is brining to the show. Despite the fact that the Jedi we have seen all treat the clones as men and with due respect, he does not and I think it is important to realize that there are thousands of Jedi, and that regardless of the training they receive, they are still individuals and have their own thoughts and beliefs. Obviously Krell was designed to show that not every Jedi is a huge fan of the clones. Unlike Rahm Kota, who would probably come off very similar, Krell does not necessarily mind having clones, he just sees them as pawns in the scheme to achieve his goals. Plus he is serving the purpose of showing the burgeoning independence of the clones, giving them the thought that "Hey, maybe these Jedi are not all good" making the Execution of Order 66 that much easier for the clones conscience. And I can see "Pong" being a typical Asian name, but "Krell" does not.

Lucas has often indicated that the EU is all essentially fanfic. That beings said, the inconsistencies do aggravate me.
I do appreciate that Filoni and co do take the EU intO consideration when designing haracters and story lines (Reapblic Commandos, Darth Bane's sadly unused appearance, etc). I think it is really cool when stuff from the EU is legitimized in the show.

Overall I am very happy with the show. I think between the visuals created by the darkness and light contrasts on Umbara, the cool machines the Umbarans use and the uncomfortable dynamic between Krell and the clones, the present story arc is among the best in the series, and certainly my favorite.

Now if they would only bring Quinlan Vos in for a few more episodes....

CC-23478
Posted: Sunday, November 13, 2011 12:17:55 AM

The most recent episodes are by fat my favorite.....season 3 sucked but so far 4 was awesome

I agree that Lucas did a shoddy move by liking a character that dies later, and the pacifist mandalorian thing bugged me a LOT but general krell doesn't seem out of place.....there are more actual commanders like that then you'd believe - in WW2 the Russians would have infantry charge a mine field to clear it because "they'd have lost just as many men if it was defended by machine guns" - buy what bothers me the most is that it is still very much an anakin and obi-wan show

When the series started Lucas said it wouldn't have as much of a focus on them as the other series and comics did....and still the vast majority of episodes are based on them.....like....the war is only 3 years.....they're running out of spots to out anakin and obi-wan

Let some of the other characters shine

Yes every jedi seems to get their own storyline - plo koon features a LOT because he's a filoni fave - but I don't want to have to deal with anakin or obi-wan every episode....they just don't interest me
CC-23478
Posted: Sunday, November 13, 2011 12:20:10 AM

It'll be interesting to see how they have Ventress return to the Sep camp, though

Side note: when will we see Durge?
CC-23478
Posted: Sunday, November 13, 2011 12:24:15 AM

Another point of discussion......was anyone else surprised by how much the tone of the series changed?

The first episode (with yoda) had a lot of silly parts and was - for a war cartoon - very squeaky clean

Now there's very little if any of the stupid humor, a lot more violence, a lot more swearing, and more mature and political story telling....
EmporerDragon
Posted: Sunday, November 13, 2011 2:27:31 PM

I wasn't really surprised. I'd consider the steady change more of the series growing the beard than anything.
countrydude82487
Posted: Monday, November 14, 2011 11:38:47 PM

i love the CW tv show too, it is a great way for me and my son to sit down and watch a show that we both enjoy and it reminds me of when i was a kid watching the star wars movies with my dad. But there are a few things that just irk me too. I am a big fan of the Coruscant knights books and the series just basically nullified them with even peils death. Asoka really doesn't bother me that much, and neither does rex(though i know that both will either have to die or be discharged before the end of the series.)The mandos are fine, because in earlier stories satine already existed so that doesn't bother me, although it is a little weird about her and obi wan. Krell is just a bit annoying to me though. He is a horrible commander and a jedi, plus he is not consistent when he calls clones by there name or number (he has called rex, appo, and a few others by their name rather than number).

The gungans really dont bother me that they helped on mon cal, but it is bull that they ignore tarpals sacrifice, And then the episode immediately after words , which i think was out of order, had them trying to ally with the seps. I mean come on who would betray the republic that quick after helping them.

Savage oppress is one that i am torn on. I thought it was a cool idea, but i am not sure they executed it right. I guess i can accept that he was powerful, mostly because of being empowered by Mother Talzin and the Sisters, but i think they made him too powerful.He did have prior training before he became dookus apprentice though.
Lord_Ball
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2011 5:18:31 AM

creme_brule wrote:
And the most recent one...: General Pong Krell: Not only does his stereotypical asian name + goatee annoy me, but his methods of executing commands. How can a world (galaxy)-renowned Jedi Master be known for his ability to complete missions if all he does is send his troops in a straight formation in a "suicide-mission"? The droid army does almost the exact same thing and they almost always fail! It would make a difference if Krell lead his troops but no he sits in the back and just surveys his troops getting cut down.

I think he studied command techniques under Zap Branigan.
Turkish
Posted: Saturday, November 19, 2011 11:56:36 PM

The episodes with General Krell were simply awesome. Best story arc of the series. I was only slightly disappointed with his big reveal, as I think it would have been much cooler if he had simply lost his way as opposed to falling. But then again, And since these episodes are not done in a linear fashion, I am sure that they are going to be right before Episode III takes place.
Dimetrodon
Posted: Sunday, November 20, 2011 6:35:58 PM

Turkish wrote:
The episodes with General Krell were simply awesome. Best story arc of the series. I was only slightly disappointed with his big reveal, as I think it would have been much cooler if he had simply lost his way as opposed to falling. But then again, And since these episodes are not done in a linear fashion, I am sure that they are going to be right before Episode III takes place.

not the best of climaxes, but everything leading up to it was fantastic.