RegisterDonateLogin

I have a good feeling about this.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Rebel Scum Options
dhoomraider
Posted: Thursday, April 9, 2009 1:27:15 AM
Groups: Member

I have this squad that I've pulled out of mothballs to see how it can be improved to compete with those GOWK & GGDAC squads that seem to be in the top tier. It's my original Rebel Storm squad and did very well for awhile and was fun to play, but became obsolete after the release of RoTS. Can this squad be updated without losing the themed part.

RS11-Obi Wan Kenobi 38
RS07-Han Solo 28
RS09-Luke Skywalker,Jedi Knight 27
RS03-Chewbacca 24
RS13-Princess Leia,Senator 13
RS14-R2 D2 8
RS02-C 3PO 6
RS44-Duros Mercenary 6

Total: 150pts.

Can this squad be useful again and what would it take to make it better. Confused

harmonm4
Posted: Thursday, April 9, 2009 5:03:17 AM

Honestly, it will have to change quite a bit, but it could possibly turn out okay. When you say keep the theme, I don't know if you're talking about keeping the same uniques or keeping it a Rebel Storm squad.

If you want to keep all the same Uniques:

38 - Obi Wan Kenobi
27 - Han Solo, Smuggler
28 - Luke Skywalker, Hoth Pilot Unleashed
20 - Princess Leia
14 - General Rieeken
9 - General Dodonna
8 - R2 D2
6 - Ugnaught Demolitionists x2

(Cost: 150, 9 activations)

This changes every mini but Obi-Wan and R2. There are still pretty much the same uniques, but just different minis of them. If you're looking for a way to just use the minis, and you want an effective squad, you're probably going to have to change the squad up quite a bit. Anyway you put it, you can use some of the old minis, but Rieeken is almost a must. Dodonna and Obi-Wan Jedi Spirit would be nice additions to other versions of this squad (Obi-Wan Jedi Spirit will only be used if you're not using Obi-Wan Kenobi of course). Mouse Droids and Ugnaught demolitionists are also going to be great additions.

In almost any build, I really can't see Luke Skywalker, Jedi Knight being used over Luke, HPU or Luke, Jedi (if you want to use a similar Luke)

Another addition just for thought would be Rieeken, Twi'lek Black Sun Vigo, and a mouse droid or 2 to give minis Evade with Greater Mobile attack.....That would work great for Obi-Wan Kenobi, or Luke Skywalker, Jedi.

Anyway, in terms of using Leia, I usually go with Princess Leia because her Commander Effect the most useful most of the time relative to other Leias' CE.

I hope that helps.

Good Luck

dhoomraider
Posted: Thursday, April 9, 2009 8:17:23 AM

It does follow the themed idea, in that it does contain Luke, Leia, & Han. I did come up with another change. How about taking out OWK and replace him with Chewbacca,Rebel Hero and OWK,Jedi Spirit. Would that work and still make it competitive. Furthermore, what would it take to make a good competitive Rebel squad.
harmonm4
Posted: Thursday, April 9, 2009 3:40:42 PM

Han Cannon (150)
46 Han Solo, Scoundrel
20 Princess Leia
42 Wookiee Freedom Fighter (x3)
03 Ugnaught Demolitionist
10 Twi'lek Bodyguard
08 R2-D2 (RS)
08 Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi Spirit
05 Bespin Guard
08 Wicket

Han Cannon is solid squad that came about during the Alliance and Empire Set. Two of these Han Cannon squads made it into the top 8 at the annual championships. Neither made it to the semi-finals, but both were solid. The reason this squad was so good was due to Leia's commander Effect where she grants one rebel to make an immediate attack at +10 damage and +4 attack. Now there are variations of this squad using Bothan Nobles as well for the same purpose

One of the more solid variations to this squad I have seen lately (still not played yet though) is:

47 Luke's Landspeeder
46 Han Scoundrel
20 Princess Leia
17 Bothan Noble
09 General Dodonna
08 R2-D2
03 Uggie

(This squad is one stsparks72 uses)

This is not an easy squad to use, and you have to practice with it, but it can become a fairly decent squad to use once you get used to figuring out how and when to position Han and the landspeeder to benefit from Leia and the Noble's commander effect.

Like I said before, there are also key rebels that make a big difference in the rebel squads:

General Dodonna: Best tempo controlling mini. Activation control gives a huge bonus to a player who knows how to use it.

General Rieeken: Gives ALL allies mobile attack and evade for just 14 points!

Elite Rebel Commando: Great multipurpose mini. He is known as the swiss army knife of the Rebels. Put him with Rieeken and he'll have mobile attack and evade on top of all of his other gadgets.

Princess Leia: Here commander effect works great for any good shooting rebels (like Han smuggler, Han scoundrel, luke's speeder, etc.)

Han Solo, Scoundrel/Smuggler/Rebel Hero: The scoundrel is all around good, and is usually used in squads without Rieeken. When Smuggler Han is in you really need Rieeken to help him stay alive. I have never played with Rebel Hero, but he is the other Han that does a lot for his team.

Luke, Hoth Pilot Unleashed/Jedi/Champion of the Force: Hoth Pilot Luke is all about distance. He is non-melee and has a Force Push 4 which has been an amazing ability to come into the game. You often see an Obi-Wan or Yoda of Dagobah with him to boost up his force powers for that reason. Luke, Jedi is a very solid melee mini for his cost. Luke, CotF is mostly used for his combo of "Use the Force," and Flurry attack. You can add the Chagrian Mercenary Commander in the squad with this Luke just to boost up his damage on Critical hits, but I usually can find a better way to use 13 points.

Bothan Nobles: Heal 10 and an extra free attack makes that 17 points go a long way.

R2-D2: The cheapest override in the game. Always nice mini.

Wookiee Freedom Fighter: Good at a distance or adjacent (thanks to demolish, charging assault, and momentum).

Yoda of Dagobah: He can help out mostly at 150 and 200 points. It's mostly his CE that makes him so good.

Obi-Wan Jedi Spirit: He is slow, but beneficial to most Han Solos. His problem is he is slow.

Master Kota: He is usually used with K-3PO and mouse droids to get him into position to do force repulse 5. That can be pretty nasty.

Recently they also came out with several Commandos that look like they'll be pretty solid.

That more or less sums up the more solid characters for the rebels. There are only few solid melee beat sticks, but plenty of good shooters, commanders and force users.
dhoomraider
Posted: Friday, April 10, 2009 12:41:54 AM

Well after a lot consideration from your advise and careful study, this what I finally came up with.

Luke,Hoth Pilot-28
Han,Smuggler-27
Princess Leia-20
Elite Rebel Commando-16
Gen. Rieekan-14
Wookie Freedom fighter x2-28
Gen. Dodonna-9
OWK,Jedi Spirit-8

150 points/9 Activations

Your advise was very helpful and was a learning experience, it's too bad that this thread got 52 views and only one person who cared to comment. I think what I was really trying to do see if some of the older squads can be re-invented and the older minis can be made useful again. Again thanks for your input, it was very valuable.
harmonm4
Posted: Saturday, April 11, 2009 7:43:15 AM

I will comment on your squad a little later. There are a few things I would like to say, but I don't have time right now.
harmonm4
Posted: Saturday, April 11, 2009 8:37:37 AM

dhoomraider wrote:

Luke,Hoth Pilot-28
Han,Smuggler-27
Princess Leia-20
Elite Rebel Commando-16
Gen. Rieekan-14
Wookie Freedom fighter x2-28
Gen. Dodonna-9
OWK,Jedi Spirit-8

150 points/9 Activations

The squad looks good. The problem is Han Smuggler is he is one of the few Hans without a force rating, and so he will not benefit from Obi-spirit. Luke already has force renewal, so he only gets mettle from Obi-spirit and that leaves only Leia who will be worth putting Obi-spirit with. I don't know if that's what you were planning, and he will really help her survive a lot better.

If you decide not to use Obi-Spirit, you always have the option to give yourself double override by putting R2 in place of Obi-Spirit.

I honestly think this squad has some solid potental at 150 pts. You will want to practice with it a few times before playing with it in a tournament, and it may not be the best squad at the tournament, but I imagine it will have a winning record if utilized correctly.

Anyway, good luck with it.

awesome
Posted: Saturday, April 11, 2009 9:05:23 AM

Yeah, and smugler can only make 1 attack so he basicly is useless.
harmonm4
Posted: Saturday, April 11, 2009 9:25:57 AM

awesome wrote:

Yeah, well that attack is 40 damage on his own and 50 more damage when he uses Leia's commander effect. 90 damage in one round from one mini is a lot of damage.
dhoomraider
Posted: Saturday, April 11, 2009 10:25:33 AM

Obi Wan Force Spirit was intended for Leia, as you said to "help her survive a lot better".
awesome
Posted: Saturday, April 11, 2009 11:31:23 AM

harmonm4 wrote:
awesome wrote:

Yeah, well that attack is 40 damage on his own and 50 more damage when he uses Leia's commander effect. 90 damage in one round from one mini is a lot of damage.

yeah but not too many hit points so he'll go down easy, once hes down shes pretty much useless.
dhoomraider
Posted: Saturday, April 11, 2009 1:05:34 PM

After looking at the squad as a whole, I decided to take Leia and OWJS out, and replace them with Leia,Hoth Commander plus R2 with Extended Sensor. First off, R2 gives me another door control, Recon and It's a Trap doesn't hurt either. Finally, I chose this Leia because I thought I would get more use out of her CE than I would with the other Leia.
awesome
Posted: Sunday, April 12, 2009 2:04:14 AM

good choice.