RegisterDonateLogin

Holding Vader's leash.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Stealing the Death Star Plans Options
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, December 6, 2011 2:51:23 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Map: Residential Area/Cantina from ArmoredCartographer’s Map Pack 3: Desert Invasion

Scenario: Capture the plans. Empire (150 points) sets up within 6 squares of the center of the map. Rebels (200 points) set up on either the east or west edge. Imperial player places the plans on a computer within 6 squares of the center of the map. Plans can be downloaded by landing on the square and using a "replaces attacks" action. Rebels must capture the plans and exit the map with them within 6 rounds. If the character carrying the plans is defeated, the plans are dropped and any other character can pick them up by landing on them. If the Imperial player loses more than half of his characters, 10 points of reinforcements will arrive whenever there is an odd initiative roll. Reinforcements are placed on the side of the map opposite the Rebels.

Rebel Squad:
Kyle Katarn, Rebel Operative 39
Princess Leia 20
General Dodonna 9
General Crix Madine 16
General Rieekan 14
Elite Rebel Commando x2 32
Bothan Commando 16
Rebel Trooper x4
Ugnaught Demolitionist 3
Mouse Droid 3
Rebel Commando Strike Leader 18
R2-D2 with Extended Sensor 9

Imperial Squad:
Imperial Security Officer 20
Admiral Ozzel 11
Arica 31 (Mara Jade)
Elite Scout Trooper x2 26
Stormtrooper x3 15
Shock Trooper 13
Noghri Commando 23
R7 Astromech Droid 8
Ugnaught Demolitionist 3

Rebel informants reported that the Imperial Security Officer on a remote desert planet was bragging to a local that he had read a complete technical readout of the Empire’s rumored Death Star Space Station. Whether he was supposed to have such information or not was irrelevant. What was important was that he simply ran a small office with only a token force, since it was in a small city on a peaceful planet that the Empire did not see as a threat. This provided a prime opportunity for the Rebellion to get its hands on the plans.

For such an important mission, three high-ranking Rebel officers (Madine, Rieekan, and Dodonna) went along. They planned the assault in a small building near the Imperial security post. The Imperial post had been set up in an abandoned warehouse right across the street from the local cantina. The Rebel Commando Strike Leader was the head of a unit consisting of 3 commandos, 4 troopers, and the soon-to-be famous Kyle Katarn. (Plus a communications droid and an ugnaught demolitions expert who provided some technical help, but they mostly tried to avoid the combat.) Princess Leia was supposed to hang back with the officers in the planning room, but she always finds herself in the middle of the action.

The strike force approached the security outpost from the east through an alley just south of the building. As the commandos opened fire on the stormtroopers, missiles flew back at them. Soon a Shock Trooper and a Stormtrooper lay in the streets. An Elite Rebel Commando sliced his way into the door system of the security outpost, temporarily locking in whoever was inside. When the people inside eventually opened the door, it was only open long enough for a commando to gun down the Imperial Security Officer. By that time, the Imperial patrol from the other side of the building (consisting of two Elite Scout Troopers) had engaged the approaching Rebel strike force as well. A Rebel Trooper and more Stormtroopers soon lay in the streets. An Imperial Noghri Commando worked his way through the back alleys looking for the Rebel war room, killing a Bothan Commando along the way, but R2-D2 locked the door to keep the officers safe.

The Rebels got to the door of the outpost and opened it. The Strike Force Leader himself went in to download the data they were looking for. At the same time, the Rebels were surprised to see a red-haired woman who was not in uniform come out the east door of the outpost. They were even more surprised when she bulls-eyed their small MSE communications support droid without even looking at it. It was apparent that she would be more trouble than the Stormtroopers who had already fallen or the Scout Troopers who were hiding in the shadows shooting at them. Fortunately, Kyle Katarn had her in his sights from a doorway. After 3 shots, she fell to the ground unconscious before she could cause any real problems for the Rebels.

The Strike Leader announced over the comlink that the download was done and everyone moved to provide him cover. The Scout Troopers continued to shoot from their hidden positions, to no avail. The Noghri Commando snuck up on Kyle Katarn and drew blood, but ultimately it was a mistake, as Kyle walked away but the Noghri did not. Two more Stormtroopers from across town arrived on the scene late and gave chase as the Rebel strike force made its way back to its ship, which was off the planet as soon as everyone was aboard.

Epilogue: The hologram of a displeased Emperor spoke harshly to Mara Jade. He had foreseen the Rebel attack in meditation, but decided the deployment of the Emperor’s Hand would suffice, and the small force would be less likely to scare off the Rebels, thus resulting in the capture of any high-ranking Rebels that might be part of the assault.

Mara Jade said, "The Imperial Security Officer denied having the plans and in a search of the computer systems we were not able to locate them. However, after the assault, we were able to see that they were in fact there... well-hidden and now stolen. As for an explanation of what happened - quite frankly, Lieutenant Ozzel slowed down our forces. As soon as the ranking officer was killed, Ozzel panicked and our troopers lacked leadership. I put the blame squarely on his shoulders."

"Regardless, my young apprentice, you have demonstrated that you are not ready. You will return for additional training at once, and it will be some time before you receive additional responsibility."

Ozzel began to plot revenge against Mara Jade.
AndyHatton
Posted: Tuesday, December 6, 2011 3:13:40 AM

I really like this write up, I think it captures well the flavor of the events while adding a great story to them that is fun and makes sense. I love the interplay of Ozzel and Mara that you added in. Honestly Ozzel was both a hindrance and a help...I love that he spaced out the Imps to match the Rebels much higher activation count...but there were times when Mara needed that second activation to pop out of the door before it could be locked it again.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, December 6, 2011 3:30:55 AM

AndyHatton wrote:
I really like this write up, I think it captures well the flavor of the events while adding a great story to them that is fun and makes sense. I love the interplay of Ozzel and Mara that you added in. Honestly Ozzel was both a hindrance and a help...I love that he spaced out the Imps to match the Rebels much higher activation count...but there were times when Mara needed that second activation to pop out of the door before it could be locked it again.

I actually already had that part written up when I went to Ozzel's wookieepedia page to see what rank he might have been at this stage. That's when I found out that Ozzel and Mara had some bad blood in canon, too.
AndyHatton
Posted: Friday, December 9, 2011 10:23:34 AM

FlyingArrow wrote:
AndyHatton wrote:

I actually already had that part written up when I went to Ozzel's wookieepedia page to see what rank he might have been at this stage. That's when I found out that Ozzel and Mara had some bad blood in canon, too.

Really?! Well that just makes that work so much better then...that is so interesting.