RegisterDonateLogin

Every single Jedi, including your friend Bloo Milk, is now an enemy of the Republic!

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

new map packs - anakin/assajj Options
IG-108
Posted: Thursday, April 23, 2009 3:22:56 AM
Groups: Member

I can almost see how the WotC staff is doing this.

Employee 1: "Shouldn't we look over the cards and figures one more time to make sure we haven't made anymore mistakes?"
*Employee 1 is shot*
Employee 2: "I was thinking we should put some pieces players actually want to see in the upcoming set. Like a Redeemed Revan, or an Anakin that reflects how powerful a Jedi he was."
*Employee 2 is shot*
Employee 3: "We don't make mistakes on cards. We only have to check them once. And C3-P0 Ewok Deity was so popular, let's make more pieces like that."
*Employee 3 is promoted*
joverfield
Posted: Thursday, April 23, 2009 3:36:56 AM

maybe these few pieces have commander effects listed so they wont benefits as being followers???? this a possibility???
Urza Planeswalker Jedi Master
Posted: Thursday, April 23, 2009 3:53:20 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

joverfield wrote:
maybe these few pieces have commander effects listed so they wont benefits as being followers???? this a possibility???

I could see that if it also said Force Powers on the card somewhere also. But it doesnt. Someone probably hit F5 instead of F6 or something and didnt do an actual check on the card, just a spell check so it didnt flag any errors. And viola, you get this.
Mickey
Posted: Thursday, April 23, 2009 4:52:45 AM

Yea I wish they took more care at not making mistakes. It they are like our facility that shut down a few years ago that made CDs/DVDs they have cut the quality staff down to the bare bones. What am I talking about--they already make them in China where there is no quality control Laugh

BTW Jim told me he had all the map packs already so they must have been produced awhile back and just waiting for release dates. He wouldn't let me peek at them because of that nondisclosure he signed hehe. Anyone know off hand the release dates for the other two? I'm just going to buy them all at once.
Urza Planeswalker Jedi Master
Posted: Thursday, April 23, 2009 5:14:22 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Thats what I did. I preordered all three at once. Wish I would have known that they were going to have errors.
Lord ZOS
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2009 11:58:00 PM

Yeah, I totally agree with you. It's time we had some more love and care be put into these minis. I read an interview w/Rob & Sara on the WOTC forums, and they just sound so lost... It's really frightening. Check out the link here and judge for yourself:

http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1103317

As I'm a Yuuzhan Vong fan, question # 30 was particularly distressing to me:

30. Will the Yuuzhan Vong faction get some more uniques to fill in the void?

ROB: Not in the coming year
Sithborg
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2009 3:04:38 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

I don't see how you can get that from them. Sure, Rob's answers tend to be terse, but considering that he is likely into the 2nd 2010 set right now and that he was barred from interacting with us for over a year because he slipped up and mentioned something he wasn't supposed to, you can understand why. And Sarah has been nothing if not enthusiastic in her interactions online.
Lord ZOS
Posted: Friday, May 1, 2009 5:23:52 AM

Sithborg wrote:
I don't see how you can get that from them. Sure, Rob's answers tend to be terse, but considering that he is likely into the 2nd 2010 set right now and that he was barred from interacting with us for over a year because he slipped up and mentioned something he wasn't supposed to, you can understand why. And Sarah has been nothing if not enthusiastic in her interactions online.

Yeah, I guess I was being a bit harsh. I know it can't be easy to do that job... nothings easy. However, I do want to point out that I feel there should be more research into some of the characters before they become minis. Enthusiasm only goes so far... All in all, I'd say that alot more attention to detail needs to be put to future sets...
madslaust
Posted: Friday, May 1, 2009 12:36:46 PM

I'm a bit hesitant to get Asajj and Luminara after what happened with Anakin. I do hope the maps are a little... friendlier the next two go-rounds.
dnemiller
Posted: Friday, May 1, 2009 12:50:44 PM

madlaust I think you should get the next two map packs

have some faith
mercenary_moose
Posted: Friday, May 1, 2009 1:30:17 PM

IG-108 wrote:
I can almost see how the WotC staff is doing this.

Employee 1: "Shouldn't we look over the cards and figures one more time to make sure we haven't made anymore mistakes?"
*Employee 1 is shot*
Employee 2: "I was thinking we should put some pieces players actually want to see in the upcoming set. Like a Redeemed Revan, or an Anakin that reflects how powerful a Jedi he was."
*Employee 2 is shot*
Employee 3: "We don't make mistakes on cards. We only have to check them once. And C3-P0 Ewok Deity was so popular, let's make more pieces like that."
*Employee 3 is promoted*

How true... Glare
Mickey
Posted: Wednesday, May 6, 2009 6:12:25 AM

Are either of the two new maps banned from DCI play? I heard the one with the downed vehicle was too open and was banned. However, looking at it there seems to be plenty of cover to me. Anyone heard any truth to this?
madslaust
Posted: Wednesday, May 6, 2009 6:18:49 AM

dnemiller wrote:
madlaust I think you should get the next two map packs

have some faith

I'll wait until I know they're not screwed up. Not a big Anakin fan, which is partly why I didn't get the first one...
madslaust
Posted: Wednesday, May 6, 2009 6:19:58 AM

Mickey wrote:
Are either of the two new maps banned from DCI play? I heard the one with the downed vehicle was too open and was banned. However, looking at it there seems to be plenty of cover to me. Anyone heard any truth to this?

They're not banned from DCI if they're never put on the list to begin with. BigGrin

They won't be DCI legal, if that's what you're getting at.
Mickey
Posted: Wednesday, May 6, 2009 6:41:06 AM

I don't understand how they make maps and then not let them be used in DCI play Confused It's getting old seeing the same maps in sanctioned events.
LoboStele
Posted: Wednesday, May 6, 2009 6:59:24 AM

Mickey wrote:

The maps aren't necessarily banned, they just haven't been made legal yet. In order to keep DCI fairly balanced, the rules for maps are opposite of the figures. Figures are immediately legal as soon as the official street date arrives. Maps have to be added to the appropriate lists in the Floor Rules before they'll become legal.

It's certainly possible that one or both maps may become DCI legal, but not until the next Floor Rules update, which should happen in June or July.

I wouldn't hold your breath though.

Nelvaan plains is WAY too open, and there are a total of about 7 safe squares to start in on the right hand side, with no safe squares for Large or Huge characters.

Teth is more balanced, and at least has safe starting squares, but it will be an exceptionally boring, if not frustrating game on that map every time. You'll end up facing Super Stealth 90% of the time on that map, and you'll get slaughtered as you try to run down the center of the field to advance close enough to hit the enemy. It's almost as bad as Korriban in that regard, IMO.

From the majority of DCI players that I've discussed it with, they are all either opposed to them being legal, or on the fence at best. I've yet to really chat with anyone who was absolutely convinced they were good for the DCI side of the game.

It's really unfortunate, but even Chris West, the guy who designed the maps, said that he wasn't sure they'd end up being DCI legal, and he's said that at least a couple of the maps in the other upcoming packs should be better for the DCI crowd.
Mickey
Posted: Wednesday, May 6, 2009 10:30:16 AM

I would think if they were designing the maps they would think of DCI play and make them where they can be played. In our shop I see 1 of 3 maps every match. It just gets kind of boring. I hope they give it more thought on the next ones. I also thought they would shade a gambit area as well but I guess not. Oh well we play for fun at my house and I bought jedi's map pack 2. I love his maps. I am going to try to get the first pack he made as well.
Sithborg
Posted: Wednesday, May 6, 2009 11:53:11 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

The guy who makes the maps has said he doesn't think of just DCI when he makes maps. Honestly, that is fine. Not every map will be perfect. While he did make Ossus, Teth Courtyard, and Nelvaan, he also made the wonderful Taris and Train Station maps. I also like Broken Christophis and Muunilist II.
dalibins
Posted: Wednesday, May 6, 2009 12:05:38 PM

I really want a better Luminara...for 30 points or less.
LoboStele
Posted: Thursday, May 7, 2009 2:04:50 AM

Mickey wrote:
I would think if they were designing the maps they would think of DCI play and make them where they can be played. In our shop I see 1 of 3 maps every match. It just gets kind of boring.

Sounds like you're group needs to get some more maps then.

There are 11 maps legal for 200 points (I think that's all of them):
Rancor Pit
Ruined Base
Yavin Temple
Echo Base Outpost
Muunilist Commerce Plaza (new one)
Train Station
Cristophsis (broken)
Taris
Starship (Hardboard)
Throne Room
Coruscant

Of course, some of those are tougher to find now than others, but it's not too hard. Rancor Pit, Ruined Base, and Yavin Temple all come from the Attack on Endor pack, which you can usually buy for about $10 shipped through a few different online places. Echo Base Outpost you might be able to get a good deal on now in some places. And there's no excuse to not have Train Station and Cristophsis (broken) since they came from the CW Starter. Oh, and Throne Room was in the 2007 Starter. So, for $30 you could have 6 maps that are legal for 200 points.

This doesn't even include all the other maps that are legal for 100/150, but not for 200 (Death Star, Muunilist, Mos Eisley, etc.).

Only 3 maps week to week? Make a house rule for a week that people have to try something different. :D