RegisterDonateLogin

My give up, my give up.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Lower HuttACon 2012 Options
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, March 7, 2012 12:19:07 PM
Groups: Member

Is being held at 2pm this Saturday (10 March) in Lower Hutt. It's our first major tournament in New Zealand with Vengeance pieces, and the 2012 floor rules, so it will be interesting to see how it pans out.

We have 12 confirmed players so far, although unfortunately kfcswaitingforyou, one of our most talented and experienced players, is unable to attend.

If you're in New Zealand, and want to come, PM me or Kezzamachine for details.
TheHutts
Posted: Saturday, March 10, 2012 5:40:18 AM

So we had 14 squads, the same as last year. The format was 5 rounds of Swiss, and then a final.

After 5 rounds of Swiss, it looked like:

Aaron (Sharron) - Yuuzhan Vong (5-0, 13 points)
Warmaster, 2*Jedi Hunter, Fanatic, Nen Yim, Yammosk, Workers * 4 (everyone obviously ran Ugnaughts etc, but they're not listed)

Graham (TheHutts) - Republic (4-1, 12 points)
Rex, Windu, GOWK, Ferus Olin, R2-D2

Kerry (kezzamachine) - Yuuzhan Vong (4-1, 10 points)
Prefect De'Gara, Sheodai Shai, Jedi Hunters * 2, Fanatic, Nen Yim, Yammosk, Lobot, Salacious Crumb

The next three squads were all tied on 9 points, I can't remember what we worked out for tie break, so placings aren't exact:
Dee (Dr Daman) - Republic (3-2)
Windu, GOWK, Atin, Foul Moudama, R2-D2

Mike - Separatist (3-2)
Celeste, Savage, Sidious, Malakil, Poggle, 16 bombs, MTB, Ugnaughts

Bev - Republic (3-2)
Rex, Windu, GOWK, Foul, R2-D2, Salacious

Dave (doug*platypus) - Old Republic (3-2, 7 points)
Atton 'Jaq' Rand, Carth, Bastila Jedi Master, JBM, OR Senator * 2, Lobot

Henko - Republic (2-3, 7 points)
Mace, Atris, Brianna, Echani * 2

Robin (Savage_Rancor) - Republic (2-3, 6 points)
General Skywalker, JWM * 2, Jarael, Dash, R2, Mas

Alan - New Republic (1-4, 5 points)
Luke Skywalker FS, Ganner, Vergere, Corran Horn JM, Jacen Solo, General Dodonna, Wedge

Ian - New Republic (2-3, 4 points)
Wedge, Tycho, Winter, Jagged Fel, Leia, Jaina, Dutch

Andrew - Separatist (2-3, 4 points)
GGDAC, Clobot. Momaw Nadan, BDO, B2 * 2, B3 * 2, Gha Nacht

Danny - Sith (1-4, 2 points)
Marka Ragnos, Revan SL, Bandon, Exar Kun DFS

Dan - Separatist (0-5, 0 points)
Maul SI, Nightsister Mother, Savage, Sora Bulq, Chameleon

TheHutts won the final 210-119 on Jabba's Palace.
TheHutts
Posted: Saturday, March 10, 2012 6:40:44 AM

And this is how it went down for me:

I was playing the trendy low activation squad (I had 8) with the new Mace, GOWK, Ferus Olin, Captain Rex, R2, Rodian Diplomat, and two Ugnaughts. I liked Ferus Olin in there for games like the mirror matches, or against Vong, to help keep Mace alive for longer. In my first round game, Foul Moudama would have been more useful, but Ferus was very, very helpful in my last two crucial games.

Obviously, people have been seeing the results from tournaments in the States, where Mace/GOWK have been winning, and the top 5 squads were all either Mace/GOWK or melee Vong squads to counter Mace/GOWK. There weren't many shooter squads at all - I think someone could have done well with, say, a battery of TBSVs, since noone was running Yobuck or Lancer either.

Round 1 - vs Dave (Bastila, Atton, Carth, JBM, Lobot, OR Senators * 2) on Jabba's Palace
I got outplayed by Dave here. He bought in an R4 with Lobot, and between that and Bastila, Mace's defence went down to a much more hittable level. I underestimated his attackers' range with the Senators giving extra shots, so Carth got to R2 and Rex early. Without R2, and with him having three diplomats, he was able to shepherd me - I had to use GOWK's force push just to get Mace through to Dave's side of the map - and Atton and Carth got lots of shots in at Mace, Ferus, and GOWK. Mace killed the JBM easily then went after Carth, but he failed to get the crit he needed to kill him in one round, and Carth knocked him over easily, since he effectively had a defence of 18. GOWK barely survived to the end of the game; he managed to take down Atton just before the end, but still had two OR Senators giving Carth lots of shots. Dave did very well at predicting the meta and coming up with a counter squad - I was surprised he only came in at 7th. 0 points.

Round 2 - vs Danny (Marka Ragnos, Darth Revan SL, Darth Bandon, Exar Kun DFS) on Ruined Base
It was a tough matchup for Danny here - an all melee squad against a riposting Mace, body-guarded by Ferus, is always going to be a tough match to win. The main thing I remember about this game was how badly Rex was rolling - I think he went 3,1,3,6 in one set of four attacks. 3 points.

Round 3 - vs Robin (General Skywalker, Dash, JWM*2, Jarael) on Ruined Base
One trophy we compete for is the Save11 Shield(s) - you win it if you beat the previous holder in an official game. I was the holder going into the tournament, so Dave won it from me in the first round, then Robin took it off Dave in the second round, then I had the chance to take it right back off Robin again in the third round. Robin played this well, towing Dash in to put some hurt on Mace early, then towing him out again, and tying Mace up with Jarael, but a Ferus-bodyguarded Mace and GOWK took too long to take down, and Rex was putting out some good damage behind them as well. I won without losing anything except the Rodian, but Mace, GOWK, and Ferus were all on their last legs. 6 points.

Round 4 - vs Alan (Luke Skywalker FS, Ganner, Vergere, Corran Horn JM, Jacen Solo, General Dodonna, Wedge) on Rhen Var
It's not fun playing against a parrying, evading Jacen with Crab Armor, mettle, and a healer. I sent Mace after Ganner early, and I didn't crit in 5 rolls, but still managed to take him down at the start of the next round, before he could levitate Corran in for 3 attacks or levitate Vergere in for a Sever Force. Ferus ended up chasing down Wedge this game, as I needed Rex to be able to shot at Jacen without him evading if I ever wanted Jacen to die. Mace took down Corran, Jacen took down Mace, then the game ended with a 20 HP Rex critting on Jacen and a force-severed GOWK finishing Vergere. 9 points.

Round 5 - vs Bev (GOWK, Mace, Foul Moudama, Rex) on Jabba's Palace
I was expecting a mirror matchup somewhere along the way, which is why I packed Ferus Olin. This was perhaps the craziest game I've ever played. I drew first blood by towing GOWK up for a Force Push 3, taking out R2 and an Ugnaught, and putting 30 on his GOWK, Mace, and Foul. It also had the additional effect of separating Foul from Rex and Mace so he couldn't retaliate immediately. Next round, he ran in Foul, copied me and Force Pushed my Obi, taking out my R2 and putting 30 on Ferus as well. I sent Mace to kill Moudama, but neglected to bring in Ferus in the same phase, and he spent two force points to run his Mace nine squares and start beating on my Mace. They both got a couple of crits on each other and both ended up dead that phase. His Rex then rolled consecutive crits on my GOWK - he had to spend two force points to avoid the first crit, then took the second, so he was already down to 50 HP. After some hot shooting from both Rexs, the game ended with my just-holding on GOWK absorbing enough shots to let my Rex finish his Rex. It was a tense game - lots of crits, lots of bad Soresu saves, tied initiatives.... 12 points, which was enough to make the final.

Final - vs Aaron (Warmaster, 2*Jedi Hunter, Fanatic, Nen Yim, Yammosk, Workers * 4) on Jabba's Palace
Because I lost my first game, I ended up working my way through the lower part of the table to start with, and missed out on playing the two Vong squads that were topping Swiss for most of the tournament. The Vong squads had been dealing to Mace and GOWK all day, so everyone assumed, quite reasonably, that Aaron would win, and went off to play epic duos.

It felt like a scene from a movie where the characters are struggling against insurmountable odds, then suddenly something snaps and the tide turns. This game was so fast it's hard to remember, but everything just fell into place - R2 towed Mace to take out one Jedi Hunter, then Mace got back into gambit without taking a scratch. Ferus and GOWK joined him in gambit, while Rex hid in a room just behind. Ferus was awesome, smashing a fanatic for 80 damage with a Dark Temptation after he'd already bodyguarded 80 damage for Mace. Mace put a lot of damage on the Warmaster (although I think he only got one crit in 6 rolls on the Warmaster), Rex stayed safe out the back landing lots of shots, GOWK survived nicely and took out the Workers, and the game somehow ended with a full health Rex and GOWK still with 90 HP left.
DARPH NADER
Posted: Sunday, March 11, 2012 12:35:51 AM

Certainly surprised not to see the Imperials make an appearance, a most interesting faction mix to be sure. Looks like it was a great event!
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, March 11, 2012 8:23:29 AM

DARPH NADER wrote:
Certainly surprised not to see the Imperials make an appearance, a most interesting faction mix to be sure. Looks like it was a great event!

Yeah, it's kind of bizarre that there were no Imperials - people play Imperials in our area quite often in casual games, but they hardly ever get played in big tournaments. The thing is with the Mace/GOWK squads running around, Mace is 30 in cover, so Storm Commandos have to crit to even hit him. With Lord Vader type black and blue squads, Mace has Force Absorb and Riposte, so even if Lord Vader takes down the rest of the squad surgically, Mace can still take him down - I guess you could pull out a 2 point lockout win though. Something like a Lord Vader/Cad Bane swap squad would be viable - it doesn't have enough activations to beat lots of other things, but it would have done very well against the other squads that were run on Saturday.

There are other squads that could do quite well though - "Paper" squads like Echanis or TBSVs with Pallaeon are definitely an option, since the "Scissor" squads like Lancer and Yobuck aren't as viable with all the "Rock" squads running around.
doug*platypus
Posted: Sunday, March 11, 2012 8:48:17 PM

I was surprised not to see Imperials as well. I thought the latest V-Set had given them enough candy to encourage people to field them. I expected to come up against a Double Bubble squad. I was wrong, but my prediction of one or two Vong squads turned out to be more or less correct. I think some people were surprised there was only one Bastila squad there on the day, although equally some people really loaded up on CEs. Thanks for your comments on predicting the meta. I went for what I thought were two safe options: Bastila to knock out any number of options, and Lobot for adaptability. If only I'd practiced more with Momaw beforehand, I might have been more of a challenge for Robin when I brought him in against all the mice and the shield could have come back to Hawera! :P

Great play reports, Graham. Looks like your match with Bevan was an exciting one, and more balanced than I thought it must have been when I saw how early you guys finished. And I had already made a decision that the next time I'm in a tournament, I'll be watching the final regardless of what other games are on offer. Hopefully while I'm playing in it. ;)
DARPH NADER
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2012 5:13:49 AM

Dave, really liked your OR squad, my Bastila Day is very much like it. ThumpUp

BTW...did you have a Klat Capt in the build?
Darth O
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2012 1:27:50 PM

DARPH NADER wrote:
Dave, really liked your OR squad, my Bastila Day is very much like it. ThumpUp

BTW...did you have a Klat Capt in the build?

He smashed me in a game with the Klatooinian Captain, but he didn't use it in the tournament. I think the JBM was the better option overall though. Too many melee threats running around!
kezzamachine
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2012 2:38:33 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

It was a great day and a great tournament. I’m not just saying that because I came third – but I came third. Seriously, however, there is nothing like the feeling of having 14 guys all walk into a room to sit down and have 5 games of SWM. The anticipation that you’re doing something pretty weird/awesome in such an extreme way is, well, uber. Kudos to Graham who not only organised a great tournament but also won. He is our top player at the moment and everything he touches is gold. I managed to continue my run of not playing against him in a major tournament – what is with that?! – as I believe my own peculiar brand of Vong would have beaten him. He may or may not agree. Anyhoo – here’s my take on the day.

I ran De’Gara, Shedao Shai, 2 Jedi Hunters, a Fanatic, Nen Yim, a Yammosk, Lobot and Salacious Crumb. My squad was entitled “Sacrilege Punch” in that I did what I swore I would never do and put an abomination (Lobot) in with the Vong. (Annoyed some people too, myself included!) Pretty much, I wanted to have access to Momaw Nadon but not have him in my squad. That worked in my favour… plus I was able to use my reinforcements quite well. I went Vong for the last LowerHuttaCon – my Shimrra Bomb squad which was the best squad at the last tournament but I failed to make the final because I placed Nom Anor next to a wall that wasn’t actually a wall (Rhen Var, anyone?) and, well, that’s history. I chose that faction by dice roll some two months before thinking a) if I can’t predict what I’ll run, no one else will be able too, and b) if I can’t make a decent squad with that faction, I’ll move on. I very nearly at the last minute chose my Zannah/Huntress/ExarFS/Tyber Zann/Defiler/Lobot squad which I think would have been fun-as… but I’m happy with the Vong. I added the Fanatic (over a Priest) in playtesting thanks to Aaron’s advice and he commented that my squad was scary looking. I got that comment from some of my opponents too. Scare is good.

It’s also worth noting that I took Cargo Docks into the tournament because a) it suited a melee style squad like mine – as long as I watched out for the shooting lanes up top – and b) no one would have a clue how to handle it because no one had seen it before. I was right – of the four games I had on it, I didn’t lose and the most common comment was ‘what the hell is that?’

Well, shall we…?

Round 1 – vs Dee/Dr. Daman (Windu/GOWK/Atin/Foul Moudama/R2-D2) on Cargo Docks
Won map roll and took Cargo Docks in a second. Last year at LowerHuttaCon, Dee and I played each other so this was a repeat of that affair. Also, I was carrying a loss against Dee in our recent Lower Hutt league, so this was a chance to upend that. My Vong squad was the perfect tonic for GOWK/Mace and I felt happy with the matchup straightaway. I bought in a third Jedi Hunter (which hurt him immeasurably) as well as bringing in a Twi’lek Bodyguard (for the crits by Mace which never came) and Figran D’an (for any shots that may come my way). I quickly made it to the middle despite his two movement breakers and held it. He rushed in his Mace, but with no absorb, rerolls, riposte, and no crits, my Vong squad made short work of him. I chased Atin and upended GOWK and it was over 215-25. 3pts and a great start to the campaign since I figured I’d hit some of the other 3 GOWK squads at some point.

Round 2 – vs. Alan (Luke Skywalker FS/Ganner/Vergere/Corran Horn JM/Jacen Solo/General Dodonna/Wedge) on Cargo Docks
Awful, awful, awful, awful… Do you know how much fun it is being Vong against a Jacen that can reroll his parries twice a turn with mettle and a heap of force points? Not very fun at all. I started by bringing in a 3rd Jedi Hunter again and then a Human Bodyguard and 3 uggies. I made the mistake of killing Vergere early (I didn’t want her to Force Sever me…*grin*) and all of a sudden Jacen became untouchable. If Alan had of played the game a little differently, it might have been much different, but he a) sent Corran off to kill my Lobot and Yammosk and b) I managed to trap Ganner in a thin 1 square corridor so that he couldn’t reach Jacen to lift him. That meant I had isolated his pieces and could attack them at my leisure. However, because they were so spaced out, I couldn’t kill them all so had to settle for a 2pt win, which I secured after running Jacen out of Force points and he finally failed a parry roll. *Phew!* 5pts and a happy me.

Round 3 – vs. Mike (Celeste/Savage/Sidious/Malakil/Poggle/16 bombs/MTB/Ugnaughts) on (you guessed it!) Cargo Docks
This was the matchup I had been dreading/looking forward to/planning for. Lobot was in my squad to bring in Momaw and Momaw was in my head so I could combat Poggle Bombs! Mike is one of our recent standouts, picking up good wins against lots of us – including knocking me over in our recent LH league (he’s currently #1 in the world!). He managed to pick up 30 Geonosian Drones in a deal last year so now we figure he’ll run Separatists and anywhere up to 30 bombs. He didn’t disappoint – 16 nasties. However, as soon as I saw the Tactics Broker I smiled and smiled… after winning map roll and bringing in a 3rd Jedi Hunter yet again, plus good ol’ Momaw and a Caamasi (which helped me block off a big corridor so he couldn’t fire too many bombs at me), I proceeded to roll a 1 for init and bring in a 4th Jedi Hunter. My init would have been one anyway, and as soon as Mike saw my De’Gara magic, he blew up his MTB with a drone and dropped down to 15 bombs. The game could have gone quite differently if I had lost the key init after positioning my Nadon, but I won it, marched 6 squares and blew up 7 of his pieces, making his bombs almost ineffectual and only his Celeste/Sandwich Press combo to worry about (which doesn’t really phase the Vong). He had too many pieces to kill outright and 143-39 was where it finished – 2pts to me, 3 wins on the trot and two previous losses avenged.

Round 4 – vs. Aaron/Sharron (Warmaster/2xJedi Hunter/Fanatic/Nen Yim/Yammosk/Workersx4) on Asteroid Base
I have to tip my hat to Sharron as he helped me strengthen my squad for this tourney as we met earlier in the week with almost exactly these two squads. His was unchanged from that encounter whereas we had decided that the Fanatic was a better use of the points than a priest. He won that encounter just like he won this. I lost map roll and he chose Asteroid Base (which I suggested he run at the tournament) and I set up on the wrong side. Dang it. I took the upper right and got stuck in the doorway (like the cat from Norway) and he bombarded me. I nearly took a point off him by almost killing Nen Yim, but it was over pretty quickly… the 200HP Warmaster far too strong to be taken down by his own Vong, despite bringing in a Praetorite Vong Warrior, a Human Bodyguard and three uggies. Sharron was also due… we’ve played 8 times (officially) prior to this and he had never beaten me. He was overjoyed, I was overwraught.

Round 5 – vs. Robin/Cerous Mutor (General Skywalker/JWMx2/Jarael/Dash/R2/Mas) on Cargo Docks once more…
Robin – one of our former #1 players – usually brings to a game a tough squad and a tenacity that is rarely equalled. He did so again here bringing a squad which, although not conventional, surprized some opponents. It certainly was good to see a Republic build without GOWK and Mace! Anyhoo, I won map roll and, of course, chose the unfathomable Cargo Docks. Again, my opponent had no idea how to respond to it and it was part of yet another victory. I forgot that Dash gets momentum and wondered what Robin was thinking until I watched my Shedao Shai disappear off the board… but my Jedi Hunter’s knocked over the rest and it was over pretty quick. I was looking to get a 3pt win to have a chance to get through so I went hard winning 214-45.

But, y’know, it wasn’t quite enough. I wasn’t quite so sure how my fortunes would pan out, but as it turned out, I needed Bevan to beat Graham 2-0 to have any hope of getting into the final. As it was, with two “rock” squads, there was no chance of that happening and Bevan (for the second or third time) was knocked out of finals contention in the last round by Graham. (Perhaps I should have dropped my first game to get the better end of the draw – Graham?) No matter – my Vong was only beaten by Vong and handled everything else pretty easily. I am confident that I’d have knocked over Graham’s squad (although, he is a master, so maybe not?) but if I’d have faced Aaron in the final, their may not have been anything I could do. Still, I erased some demons, got some wins back against my name and now have risen back into the top five in our Hutt Rankings (non-SWMGPA – we’re still managing the transition to the full rankings).

Mauri ora, mauri mate!
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2012 3:11:59 PM

kezzamachine wrote:
But, y’know, it wasn’t quite enough. I wasn’t quite so sure how my fortunes would pan out, but as it turned out, I needed Bevan to beat Graham 2-0 to have any hope of getting into the final. As it was, with two “rock” squads, there was no chance of that happening and Bevan (for the second or third time) was knocked out of finals contention in the last round by Graham. (Perhaps I should have dropped my first game to get the better end of the draw – Graham?) No matter – my Vong was only beaten by Vong and handled everything else pretty easily. I am confident that I’d have knocked over Graham’s squad (although, he is a master, so maybe not?) but if I’d have faced Aaron in the final, their may not have been anything I could do. Still, I erased some demons, got some wins back against my name and now have risen back into the top five in our Hutt Rankings (non-SWMGPA – we’re still managing the transition to the full rankings).

Mauri ora, mauri mate!

I worked out that I played the squads that eventually placed 4th (did Bev win the tiebreak?), 7th, 9th, 10th, and 13th during Swiss. While as an example, Robin, who wound up 9th, had to play the squads that placed 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 7th, and 8th at the end of Swiss. It was fair at the time - I was always playing against people who had similar tallies to me at the time in each game - but it panned out weirdly in hindsight. I definitely wasn't shooting for a first round loss - I'm also keen to get my overall record to 15 and 0, and losing to doug*platypus didn't help with that.

I pulled one Vong victory out, but my odds of beating two Vong squads run by good players wouldn't have been high.

This was on my list of possibilities before the tournament; it's similar to what you ended up running. I eventually decided against it, as I thought that I'd roll over and die against squads like Andrew's scary stand and deliver B3 battery, which like Mike's bombs (which I was aware of, but which I couldn't fit in a counter for in my squad) is a gate keeper that you expect to see in our local meta.
--Vong 200--
30 Shedao Shai
27 Lobot
27 Nen Yim
20 Vong Hunter on Quednak
40 Yuuzhan Vong Jedi Hunter x2
38 Yun-Yammka Fanatic x2
15 Yammosk War Coordinator
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist

(200pts. 10 activations)
kezzamachine
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2012 3:17:20 PM

I did notice that Andrew's squad (whenever I saw it) was stuck at one far end of the corridor. Did anyone think to go sit in Gambit and wait? Plus, I had a Fanatic and the option to bring in another one... I would have run 12 squares and hit his B3's twice for an attack of 14 and a damage of 40 on a twin. And I could have bought in a Jawa Scavenger or something... that would have been a fun game!
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2012 4:12:00 PM

Andrew smashed Danny and Dan in Tier 2 playoffs by just sitting at the end of that corridor, so it was working for him. I guess there was a lack of expertise there among some of the newer players; Andrew's smart enough to take advantage of it, although he may need to retool his squad now. He needs a Lancer so he can build a points lead to force the other player come at him.

The tournament was still a lot more even than last year's LowerHuttACon, I think. With a couple of rounds to go, 8 players (the eventual top 7 + Alan) were still in the running for the final, while last year there was a group of five players who dominated and didn't lose to anyone except each other. And all of the squads had some synergies and some strong individual pieces; better than last year, where there was a squad of Dejarik pieces (that somehow won 2 games...) and a bunch of Rebel Commandos without Crix Madine.
kezzamachine
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2012 6:15:19 PM

Tru dat. This year was a totally different kettle of fish. This Andrew was closer to that top bunch and Henko won two games to rack up 7 points! Great squad, Graham. (Considering that Dan lost all 5 and Bevan made his squad!)
sharron
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2012 12:01:11 PM

well, after all this, and all the time I have on my hands this morning... I might add my two cents.

this year was great fun, and as my leaving tournament it was awesome to see so many of my friends having a blast, and having a blast with them!

I ran a Vong squad, consisting of Warmaster Tsavong Lah, 2* jedi hunters, nen yim, a fanatic, yammosk, 4* workers, r7, 3* uggnaughts, and a mouse droid. it made the final, so im pretty stoked with that, and I have always loved vong, but ever since losing 150-0 to a han cannon some years ago, have always been reluctant to run them again... welcome back :) unlike kez, I have no problem running droids with vong, turned out it just got gambit the whole time anyway.

Round 1 vs. Robin(General Skywalker/JWMx2/Jarael/Dash/R2/Mas) on Asteroid Base - yammosk stole momentum
So every game I played on asteroid base, I started on the end without the great big open space... and ran warmaster straight into gambit every time. The game is pretty hazy, but the whole time Robin was not feeling very confident against the vong, whilst I was sweating trying to figure out how I can take out so much HP with the guys I had. In the end, I had warmaster running after lobot and mas to try and secure a win, and hustled a 2pt win 149-137. Every time Robin and I play, its such a close contest, and this time was closer than ever. I told him to massage the knots out of my back he gave me... He called me a weirdo... So I guess we are even. 2pts

Round 2 vs. Bevan(GOWK, Mace, Foul Moudama, Rex) on Asteroid Base - yammosk stole +4/+4
This game I still dont think I had kicked into gear, because it went exactly how I didnt want it to. There was a bit of banter so to speak in the middle, but after i moved my ugnaught out of the way(which I didnt even know was blocking anything) R2 towed Mace 12 squares, and then mace ran 10 squares, and hit nen yim, who was right next to my yammosk, right down the end of the map. All my guys were near gambit, so i was looking at a loss. fortunately mace didnt crit, leaving nen yim with 10 hp left. my fanatic hadnt moved, so I chased mace with that. leaving everyone else to try and scramble points, whilst foul was lifting everyone away from my characters. Mace had already taken 80 from a jedi hunter, so nen yim had a swing, and missed. Next round he killed nen yim, and moved next to the yammosk. the fanatic came charging in, and hit the first attack, and missed the next. mace had taken 110, and my guys still couldnt catch anyone on the other side of the board. I lost a jedi hunter somewhere along the line. I won initiative, and my fanatic took an attack of opportunity, and with no shaper, needed to hit both attacks to kill Mace. I did so, and won the game 88-44. Another stressful game, I was wondering what i had to endure next. 4pts

Round 3 vs. Alan (Luke Skywalker FS/Ganner/Vergere/Corran Horn JM/Jacen Solo/General Dodonna/Wedge) on Asteroid Base - Yammosk stole Moving 1 character per phase.
This is what I had to endure next, a character with vongsense, parry, mettle, MOTF2 and renewal. It was all a run for the middle in the start of the round, with ganner levitating jacen in to parry like nothing else, and corran came in behind. at the end of a round I ran warmaster up right next to corran and jacen, and a worker hit jacen for 30, which ended up as 20 from VCA. He won the next initiative, and healed jacen with vergere. I then hit corran with my warmaster for 90 damage with master shaper, then ran a jedi hunter in (who took 20 from jedi reflexes) and killed corran. It was a big move, and I dont think Alan knew my squad had that much firepower. I chased ganner with a jedi hunter, whilst my fanatic hit vergere for 70. I thought that instead of trying to hit jacen with parry, I would kill everything else, and run gambit the whole game, which I did. vergere died to warmaster, ganner died to a jedi hunter, and jacen killed a jedi hunter, and the fanatic. It was a race, while my jedi hunter hunted down dodonna and wedge, I chased jacen with my warmaster. jacen killed nen yim, and in the end, I got 45 points of gambit to win with 3 pts, and by the end Alan had 100 pts, so he got 1 pt. Alan is great fun to pay against, because we always laugh while we play, no matter what the circumstances are. and we had to laugh the there was no way either of us could win outright except for gambit, because we both had great defensive abilities. 7 pts

Round 4 vs Kez (De’Gara, Shedao Shai, 2 Jedi Hunters, a Fanatic, Nen Yim, a Yammosk, Lobot and Salacious Crumb) on Asteroid Base - yammosk stole firejelly... :S
This game, as Kez said before, had been played earlier in the week. and even though I had won that encounter, my 8-0 record of never beating kez looked pretty stock standard with the advice I had given him. he stole momentum, and the fanatic as an extra attacker along with all his other ones, didnt look exciting, and as other had said, scary. I chucked all my workers in front of him in the middle of the map, so he would waste an attack on them, meaning i could get the first hit, but he didnt want to waste those attacks, so he didnt do much that round, letting me get into position. It was one big massacre in the middle of the map, which warmaster gladly lapped up damage and killed at will. In the end it was just a while before warmaster killed everything, and started chasing nen yim and de'gara. they had run off to get a point from killing MY nen yim, which warmaster prevented also. it was quite an ugly battle, but one to be proud of coming out on top, and the record is now 8-1. 10 pts

Round 5 vs. Dee (Windu, GOWK, Atin, Foul Moudama, R2-D2) on Asteroid Base - yammosk stole +4/+4
with my yammosk now setting up on the bottom right corner of my side instead of bottom left, mace couldnt get to it, or nen yim, so Dave did exactly what I would have done, and Aimed mace right at Warmaster. So he lifted him in with foul, but unfortunately he didnt crit, and warmaster only took 30 damage. foul fell to a jedi hunter and a worker combining to kill him, and warmaster chased mace. Atin killed my fanatic, because it had taken some damage, and then followed by killing a jedi hunter the next round. Mace didnt last long with no reposte against warmaster, and a jedi hunter swopped in for a kill. those two then ganged up on GOWK, and with not too great rolling, GOWK fell also. Atin took out my other jedi hunter, but it was only a matter of time as the warmaster stood alone once again and chased everyone down. My squad looked very comfortable with GOWK squads at this point, and facing one in the final looked slightly more promising than Kezza's vong again. 13pts

FINAL vs. Graham (GOWK, rex, ferus, mace, r2) on Jabbas palace - yammosk stole +4/+4
the change of map definitely threw me, because I had never played on jabbas palace before. I should have bunched my guys more, and lead with my workers, but I spread them out, so when Mace was towed in and killed a jedi hunter, I had nothing to hit back with. he then bunched, and i set up all my guys how I wanted them, with my fanatic within 12 of Rex. I cant remember why I didnt go for with the fanatic, but I didnt, and he didnt do much. my jedi hunter went in to hit mace, and he was bodyguarded by ferus, so ferus had 20 left, used dark temptation, killed my jedi hunter, and made the save. I made a desperate attepmt to kill everything with warmaster, which almost happened, but with rex, Gowk, and Mace all attacking him at once, with a crit from mace, he couldnt quite do the job. lost the final, very well played by graham, and definitely made me pay for my mistakes.

All in all, an awesome tournament, and I am so glad everyone enjoyed the day as much as I did. Highlight of the day for me was breaking a streak that has stood since march 2008, and cant wait for it to be back to 9-1 Kez.

$0.02