RegisterDonateLogin

Will consume you, as it did Obi-Wan's apprentice.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Best of other games Options
Uggie Demo
Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 2012 5:54:19 PM
Groups: Member

Hey all!
I'm interested in possibly starting playing another game, I like miniatures games more than just card games. I've heard of Heroclix and a few others, but I wanna hear from you guys: what are the best other miniature games in your opinions.
Preferably similar to star wars.

AndyHatton
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2012 5:43:18 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I like Heroclix...it is simpler though. Not in a bad way, the maps are smaller and have less cover and LoF is a little less of an issue, team building isn't as restrictive, and the costing is way different with many fewer "standard" build sizes. But it is fun. Where most SWM games take 45-over an hour, Heroclix matches can be done in 15 minutes in some cases (unlikely, but it can happen.)

It is the game I got into when SWM left my store after MotF. I like it, but it isn't SWM. Nothing is. But I love comic books a lot so I always have a good time using the Teen Titans or the Justice Society or the Defenders (etc)

FUN FACT! The current World Champ of Heroclix plays at my store. He is currently designing a Mr. Sinister for the next Heroclix set.

I also play a bit of Malifaux which is a Steampunky/Magicky tabletop war-game, more like Warhammer I suppose.

And I'm looking forward to Mobile Frame Zero when that is released.
Uggie Demo
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2012 9:59:09 AM

I've heard of so many different types of Heroclix..do you play with all them together(star trek fighting against the justice league) or is it a specific kind gets their own rules?
DARPH NADER
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2012 11:27:11 AM

I'm rather partial to Wings of War
AndyHatton
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2012 11:35:52 AM

All Heroclix pieces are compatabile (old Halo Clix, and Horrorclix aren't, but everything else is.)

TECHNICALLY Star Trek Tactics is a seperate game meant to be played with just other Star Trek ships. However the system is still 100% compatable (if not incredibly odd to use as the Ships really are meant to just face each other, so sometimes their stats and powers are a little wonky against single characters.)

Right now there are:
Indy Clix (hasn't been a set in a long time)
DC Clix
Marvel Clix
Gears of War
Halo
Lord of the Rings
Street Fighter
Star Trek Tactics

Coming up soon are Avengers movie and the Dark Knight Rises which use movie inspired sculpts and dials.

So you can indeed play the Justice League vs the Federation vs Master Chief vs the Fellowship vs the Gears of War crew vs Ken and Ryu if you'd like.

Personally I don't use many of the non-comic ones because I'm not the biggest fans of most of the other properties. I do have some Lord of the Rings ones and I keep meaning to team up Dr. Fate, Dr. Strange, and Gandalf the Grey in a wizard extravaganza!
AndyHatton
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2012 12:00:41 PM

DARPH NADER wrote:

What is Wings of War about/like?
Uggie Demo
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2012 12:04:41 PM

@AndyHatton. So you could build a "squad" of Lord of the Rings and DC heroes? :D aha awesome
AndyHatton
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2012 1:31:59 PM

Uggie Demo wrote:
@AndyHatton. So you could build a "squad" of Lord of the Rings and DC heroes? :D aha awesome

Yes indeed. A person at my venue's current goal is to create teams that have a piece from every subset of Heroclix just to annoy his friend.

And that is something very different about Heroclix and SWM, you aren't resrticed to building within "Factions." You can build pretty much whatever you want. However you do get bonuses for being somewhat comic accurate. Each piece has "Keywords." So for instance the Thing might have Fantastic Four and the Avengers as his non-generic keywords and Brute and Celebrity as his generic keywords. Using those you can build a team that gets certaint benefits at certain point levels if you use enough of those pieces (and they all have the same Keyword.)

So you can build the Fantastic Four and get "Theme Team Bonuses" or build a more general Celebrity team that might have pieces from DC and Street Fighter and gets slightly lesser bonuses...Or you can, as my friend says, just play Rock n' Roll and play whatever the heck you want.
Uggie Demo
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2012 4:14:32 PM

That's sweet haha!
Is there a certain piece or team that's broken?
AndyHatton
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2012 5:05:34 PM

Uggie Demo wrote:
That's sweet haha!
Is there a certain piece or team that's broken?

There are pieces that most people consider "Cheesy"

Nightcrawler comes to mind as he is nearly impossible to hit and if he hits you he can carry you away with him setting you up to be blasted by a heavy hitter.

150 pt All Star Superman has a combination of powers that make him incredibly deadly and cost effective.

Metron: see above for Superman plus a team ability that is easily the best in the game. (Galactus has essentially the same team ability. GALACTUS.)

There are a few others that are incredibly cost effective and deadly.

The team that won Heroclix worlds last year was Metron, Nightcrawler, and a Nurse. This year I believe it will be 2 150 point Supermans. They are that good.

Then everyone else has pieces they don't like. I don't particularly like playing against the above pieces but they aren't unbeatable. Currently there is something happening at stores called a Supremacy League where you will build a team and play to get to the center of a board. Think Pokemon. Anyway, someone was playing Nightcrawler and Superman in a cheese extravaganza! My fun Suicide Squad team tore it apart. Same with Double Superman. I was actually winning for a while until Double Superman came back for revenge and I had a lousy game.

There are some balance issues in the game, but ultimately if you just play pieces you like you can do well...there are a few less than optimal pieces and a few great pieces but pretty much everyone can earn a spot on a team somewhere.
Uggie Demo
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2012 7:44:31 PM

That sounds like fun, a little simpler, but nevertheless fun! So there is no "unique" rule? You can play 2 Supermans if you want?
AndyHatton
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2012 8:22:39 AM

Uggie Demo wrote:
That sounds like fun, a little simpler, but nevertheless fun! So there is no "unique" rule? You can play 2 Supermans if you want?

There is a Unique rule it is just much much less restrictive. Certain pieces have a silver band on top of their base, this means they are unique and only one of that piece can be played, however if the Unique pieces is a Spider-man from one set, there is nothing stopping you from playing a Spider-man from another set. Otherwise anything is fair game! I think it makes a little more sense in a game base on comic books where time travel, shape-shifters, and alternate realities are fairly common. There are times when I love it (fielding every different version of Captain America I have,) and times I hate it (playing against Double Superman every single week.)

It is much simpler, but fits the gameplay style of Heroclix.
corranhorn
Posted: Wednesday, April 4, 2012 4:20:13 AM

Axis and Allies miniatures is a good game, it's similair to SW in a lot of ways but the gameplay is more tactical and it's based on World war II obviously.
DARPH NADER
Posted: Wednesday, April 4, 2012 8:30:08 AM

AndyHatton wrote:
DARPH NADER wrote:

What is Wings of War about/like?

WoW is a WW.I tabletop minis game using biplanes, lots of fun & quick resolution. Check it out...

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm=24&esem=2&esum=65