RegisterDonateLogin

Very fast, very dangerous.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Empires Dominance at Mich. Options
christophercook
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2012 5:19:22 PM
Groups: Member

Do you guys think that the great showing by the Empire in the final 4 in Mich. last weekend was due to the fact that there were only 2 OR squads with ABM in the tourney (and the fact they were great players of course)? It seems on paper that OR would Wreck Atris and her girl friends as well as Speeders.
Sithborg
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2012 5:45:42 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

Urbanjedi's squad, the Echani's, was certainly the most vulnerable to Advance Battle Meditation, but he has a lot of experience with the squad. Because Echanis are so fragile, it has to be played near perfectly, and Jason has the experience to do that. Bastilla is a tough match up, but it really, really depends on what else is in the OR squad.

As for the other two, they both had Ysalimari, which nueter's Advance Battle Meditation a bit.

Darphnader's Storm Commando squad with both Pelleon and GA Thrawn pretty much ignores Advance Battle Meditation. Unless you are packing Disruptive or Distraction, the Commandos will still rain fire on the OR. Especially Jedi, without the ability to use Force Powers or Rerolls to save themselves.

Tim's Speeder Bike squad is a bit different. I don't think the OR can pop off Advance Battle Meditation before he gets one good Strafe off, and he will outactivate you with Ozzel. And then, he waits you out, and weakens you with Weir and his Commando, or lures within range of Thrawn, and uses his Bikes at full power. It will be a game, no doubt, and a LOT will depend on what the OR is playing and the map. The main reason I lasted so long vs Tim is because of Ragno's Melee Duelist making his Strafe Attacks near impossible vs him.
Weeks
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2012 6:23:28 PM

No one played Skybuck, Lancers, Solo Charge, or Rebel Cannon. Those seem like a good place to start.
Sithborg
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2012 6:45:06 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

See, I don't see Yodabuck is that great against those squads. I'm sure it is good vs the Speeder, but against the Commandos and Echanis. Yoda has to stop in order to kill one echani and maybe kill a Commando with Shields 2. And then Anakin can kill one with the swap. And most likely, they won't be that close together.
billiv15
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2012 7:43:40 PM

Weeks wrote:
No one played Skybuck, Lancers, Solo Charge, or Rebel Cannon. Those seem like a good place to start.

Yes but two HoFers played Sith and two other HoFers played Vong :). I went 2-3, but I think Matt, Scott and Eric all ended at 3-2.

We had some of the usual bad match up issues, then getting paired with other spoiler squads that helped the Empire dominate this event.

For example, Eric and Matt (Vong and Vong) played round 1.
Round 2 I played Tim (tough match of Sith against Thrawn, but Zannah did kill one speeder by rerolling the crap out of every SSM for the Lightsaber kill), then Tim and Jason played, Tim winning, which put me against Jason - ugg thrawn again. The in between round, I faced Engineer with Vong... But won.
So final round, I was sitting at 2-2 and got paired up against you guessed it, thrawn...

So 3/5 games against force immunity. Not good lol. And the first one that wasn't was GOWK tank which I beat, and the other one that wasn't were echani that could shoot through SSM (of course didn't matter when I only made 1 save and one echani finished her lol).

The bigger issue with this event is that it represented the meta, as opposed to what people were mistakenly calling it by naming the OR as the top dog. OR is the gatekeeper to some degree, and you could see that with the squads brought. Almost everyone had a way to handle bastilla, or at least to account for the match up. Consequently I think there were 3 Bastilla squads, and they didn't do well.

As for the other prevalent squad types not mentioned, tank style squads were popular in the Republic. Skybuck may have not been there, but there isn't much difference between Urbanshmi's Mace/Foul squad in terms of how it does in the various match ups. She went 3-2 I think with it. There were other versions, and other GOWKs played as well. I knocked out one of them in round 1 with the Sith, and I think one of the others lost to the force immunity early on as well. That plays a part in how outcomes occur.

However, I really wish I had played all the squads you mentioned. I can beat each of those. Force immunity however, not so much :)
jhc36
Posted: Tuesday, April 3, 2012 9:09:38 AM

meh...it's just one regional. Let's see how the rest of the regionals flesh out before we jump to conclusions.