RegisterDonateLogin

You can't win, but there are alternatives to drinking.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Clone Wars....what is there to say.... Options
creme_brule
Posted: Thursday, April 5, 2012 7:38:19 PM
Groups: Member

Needless to say, I am disappointed with the direction the CW is taking. In the beginning of the season, it was interesintg and great to see the episodes pull away from the cookie-cutter Republics vs. Seppies (with the Republic winning of course!) towards the more intricate issues, such as politics and behind-the-scenes style episodes. However, these last few episodes have been disappointing to say the least. The nightsisters episodes series have been good...but to see in a recent episode borderline satanic content on a TV channel which 5-yos watch is not exactly pleasing.

But that isnt the kicker. Maul-from-the-grave....?? Seriously, first Even Piell's premature death and now this. The CW Series are ripping apart the SW canon, piece by piece. All I am doing now is shaking my head (but still watching the CW shows lol).

Just venting out. Maybe I am overreacting and ranting aimlessly, but just wanted to see if anyone else agrees with me to make sure I am not going crazy lol.
Darthbane53
Posted: Thursday, April 5, 2012 7:41:05 PM

I haven't seen ANY of season 4 but so far I have really like everything, but I know what you mean about those 'politics' episodes, I straight up skipped one with the mandalorians in season3 I was so tired of it lol.
Lily_Wan
Posted: Thursday, April 5, 2012 8:26:04 PM

I saw the Tarkin/Piell episode and a few others. I recently watched five minutes of an episode - into which they shoehorned Akbar and showcased shark-people - before turning it right off. Clone Wars is not my Star Wars. You're not alone in your disappointment and concern.
General_Grievous
Posted: Friday, April 6, 2012 1:02:11 AM

I have loved the series so far, though I haven't seen season four except for that one episode with the Sep Versues Nightsisters, and I know what you mean. That whole bapitism, witchcraft, undead armies and voodoo really had me uncomfortable for most of that episode, the one saving grace is when:

SPOLIERS

Grievous heroically butchers all the zombies/witches, it's pretty bad when your cheering for the old General to kill all the satanist creepy witches... yah just that sentence alone tells me that the show has gotten a bit too dark for my liking right there.
Sithborg
Posted: Friday, April 6, 2012 3:25:02 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

So Magic = borderline Satannic? Sounds like the reasoning my mom used to prevent me from playing Magic The Gathering. Good thing I did not have an interest in D&D.

Yes, it did go dark there in a few episodes. Not having kids, I can't comment on the appropriateness. But it was hardly worse that what we already had in this show.
corranhorn
Posted: Friday, April 6, 2012 3:25:31 AM

I agree, however didn't maul already come back with cybernetic legs? Could be wrong on that but thought he was in a comic like that.
Sithborg
Posted: Friday, April 6, 2012 3:31:48 AM

corranhorn wrote:
I agree, however didn't maul already come back with cybernetic legs? Could be wrong on that but thought he was in a comic like that.

It was in a What If? like comic. It didn't actually happen. Though apparently there is some debate on whether Vader fought a clone or a phantom.
gwek
Posted: Friday, April 6, 2012 5:02:03 AM

Personally, I generally enjoy the show a great deal, although there have been some clunkers and some mis-steps, and I think bringing back Maul was one of them.

Still, I will give the writers the benefit of the doubt until I see how it plays out next season. The idea of Maul and Savage Opress out there as "spoilers" who seem to hate everyone could throw an interesting wrench in the Rep vs Sep dynamic. If the concept is well-used, I'll forgive the fact that Maul's return was pretty weak (and a pretty weak way to end the season).

As for Clone Wars vs EU: The expanded universe has ALWAYS been self-contradictory based on it's size and the number of creators involved. Overall, I think the CW creators do their best to avoid absolute conflicts (their handling lof the Mandos, which allowed all other interpretations to remain valid, for example, was pretty masterful).

I think the issue with Maul is not that it conflicts the EU but with the CORE universe. Lucas stated that he cut Maul in half so people would "pull a Boba Fett" (Boba Fett being very dead in Lucas's mind until a bunch of chuckle-heads decided to keep pulling him out of the Sarlacc Pit). And 10 years later, that's just what he sanctioned.
qvos
Posted: Friday, April 6, 2012 11:40:18 AM

Sithborg wrote:
corranhorn wrote:

It was in a What If? like comic. It didn't actually happen. Though apparently there is some debate on whether Vader fought a clone or a phantom.

Star Wars Visionary was the Cyber Legged MAul which was indeed a what if story.
I do agree with Creme Brule about the Magic being in Star wars. I wish it weren't in there.
I was happy to see Maul come back. We've seen characters fall down a shaft and get sucked in a garbage shoot(Bespin Luke) The Dark side has many abiliities some would call "unnatural". I 'm not sure Maul's survival is totally beyond belief. Also, considering Anikan on MUstafar getting his body and legs ect. burned to a crisp, and Grievious' body , it seems that in this universe, the wonders of science or the dark side could almost do anything.
If you compare it to some of the modern EU stuff coming out( FOTJ series), and even the Legacy series of books, its feasable, I mean jedi getting cut in half kidneys severed ect, It's a wonder why QUI-GON died with just one lightsaber thrust.......... Wait a minute, I made your point about Maul.............. Maybe U R Right!!!BlooMilk BlooMilk BlooMilk
jak
Posted: Friday, April 6, 2012 12:47:20 PM

I've seen all the CW episodes, and I Heart 'em!
IMO any Star Wars is better than no Star Wars.ThumpUp
I'm confused about the opposition to"magic" the Force doesn't grant powers from a deity, so isn't it a kind of "magic"Confused

RE:Maul. he's a great character that had way too little screen time, people wanted more.Crying Crying ThumbDown
There's 6 versions of him in SWM. Can't want for 1 more with cybernetic legs.Scared Woot
creme_brule
Posted: Friday, April 6, 2012 8:09:01 PM

Sithborg wrote:
So Magic = borderline Satannic? Sounds like the reasoning my mom used to prevent me from playing Magic The Gathering. Good thing I did not have an interest in D&D.

Yes, it did go dark there in a few episodes. Not having kids, I can't comment on the appropriateness. But it was hardly worse that what we already had in this show.

Sorry if I wasnt clear. I have no problem with magic in itself; heck, the Force for that matter is pure "magic" (to the uneducated eye, that is ;) )! The thing that bothers me is with how dark the nightsister's episode was. Not something I would want a kid to see.

I still don't like the idea of Maul-from-the-grave. Especially compared to how Quiggy somehow died; and how Maul originally fell hundreds of feet after getting sliced in half down the chute without breaking his head. The only saving grace was the supposed fact that Maul kept himself sustaned with his intense hatred, which is actually plausible (Im thinking of Sion). But Maul's not theonly ridiculous thing out there; Pong Krell and his little sage was pretty lame as well.

I guess I will just have to see how the season and the final Season (5) plays out. Hopefully things will turn around soon.
Darthbane53
Posted: Saturday, April 7, 2012 5:12:14 AM

creme_brule wrote:
I still don't like the idea of Maul-from-the-grave. Especially compared to how Quiggy somehow died; and how Maul originally fell hundreds of feet after getting sliced in half down the chute without breaking his head. The only saving grace was the supposed fact that Maul kept himself sustaned with his intense hatred, which is actually plausible (Im thinking of Sion). But Maul's not theonly ridiculous thing out there; Pong Krell and his little sage was pretty lame as well.

Well, the difference would be maul had a sith lord that must have retrieved him fairly quickly as we have no idea where he was at the exact time, Obi wan fled pretty fast, not sure how he got the body to burn it exactly. Also Sidious had to have SOME ability from plagius to sustain/bring back to life people. But it does seem (and lore proves this) Sith have a pretty darn good health insurance plan. Covers pretty much anything, disembowelment, 3rd Degree Burns, Vaporization of entire body, ect.. ect..
Sithborg
Posted: Saturday, April 7, 2012 8:46:16 AM

I still go with the Maw theory.
EmporerDragon
Posted: Saturday, April 7, 2012 11:48:51 AM

gwek wrote:

As for Clone Wars vs EU: The expanded universe has ALWAYS been self-contradictory based on it's size and the number of creators involved. Overall, I think the CW creators do their best to avoid absolute conflicts (their handling lof the Mandos, which allowed all other interpretations to remain valid, for example, was pretty masterful).

The big difference though is that with all the other EU stuff, they are checked through the official Holocron database to remove any contradictions and to tie things together. With Clone Wars, what happens is they go through the database, and when a conflict comes up (Eeth Koth, Even Piell, Ventress's race, etc.), Lucas overrides the Holocron and lets CW do what it wants.
qvos
Posted: Saturday, April 7, 2012 2:41:08 PM

EmporerDragon wrote:
gwek wrote:

The big difference though is that with all the other EU stuff, they are checked through the official Holocron database to remove any contradictions and to tie things together. With Clone Wars, what happens is they go through the database, and when a conflict comes up (Eeth Koth, Even Piell, Ventress's race, etc.), Lucas overrides the Holocron and lets CW do what it wants.

I dont even think its even Lucas Letting CW do what it wants. Lucas's fingerprints are all over this. This is what he wants. They run almost everything so far by him.

There are lot of people who complain no matter what Lucas does. When he killed off Boba Fett In EP IV people were pissed. What would people do if Lucas Somehow brought Fett BAck in Ep 7-9 ?. Probably complain because Dengar wasn't pulling him out of the Sarlacc pitt. Lucas knew right away that it might have been a mistake killing off Maul. He even went so far to say he would never bring him back. After years of hearing fans complain about his mistake he brings him back in one of the most exiting story arcs(in my opinion ) in the CW. People cry.. People complain.. Its not good enough.

All I can say is this. Picture yourself creating this wonderful world Far Away, You've spent your own money and made money , even dumping that money back into the succesful franchise. Then your fans want to tell you how to Tell your story, the one you invented. It's no wonder He wants to retire. Nothing he does is good enough.
Darthbane53
Posted: Saturday, April 7, 2012 2:51:09 PM

Being only 17 obviously I was not around before the prequal trilogy, I grew up with those, not the OT. And there star wars and I love them both. I never saw why (some) people hated the new episodes so much, and the constant complaining about ani being a whinney kid. Even with growing up with the new stuff, Episode 5 is still my favorite. Yes there are continuity issues, but when you have litterally HUNDEREDS of different authors, directors and producers working on all things star wars things are going to clash. But I love it all and if its star wars, i wont complain. At least it didnt die 30 years ago, then I wouldent even know what it was, so im glad we have the clone wars and its star wars, isint that all that really matters?
qvos
Posted: Saturday, April 7, 2012 4:17:46 PM

Darthbane53 wrote:
Being only 17 obviously I was not around before the prequal trilogy, I grew up with those, not the OT. And there star wars and I love them both. I never saw why (some) people hated the new episodes so much, and the constant complaining about ani being a whinney kid. Even with growing up with the new stuff, Episode 5 is still my favorite. Yes there are continuity issues, but when you have litterally HUNDEREDS of different authors, directors and producers working on all things star wars things are going to clash. But I love it all and if its star wars, i wont complain. At least it didnt die 30 years ago, then I wouldent even know what it was, so im glad we have the clone wars and its star wars, isint that all that really matters?

Good Points DarthBAne53. I like getting the perspective of ones who didn't grow up on the OT. I was 9 when Jedi came out. I loved the Ewoks . to me they provided comedy relief. For the same reason, I didn't mind Jar Jar in Ep I. Its all Star wars to me and I love it. I even like CW because its Star Wars. even a bad EU novel is Star Wars to me. When a good SW novel comes out, I really appreciate it
trappedslider
Posted: Saturday, April 7, 2012 6:10:09 PM

DARPH NADER
Posted: Saturday, April 7, 2012 8:27:47 PM

One of things that I like about the CW series is that it reminds minds me of the episodic glory days of Dr Who. Let me explain, back in the day you always were left waiting for next weeks ep after the cliffhanger. This season especially in the four part Cad Bane story I couldn't help but being nostalgic. Granted the CW writing is a bit flimsy at times and the content is getting darker but just like Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies of the 50's these cartoons weren't aimed at kids. It's the visuals for the young kids and the dialogue for us fanboys/girls being a Dad to two saber wielding maniacs. LOL

Personally I think the last two seasons have been of lesser quality but as Jak put CW is better than no SW.
qvos
Posted: Monday, April 9, 2012 3:28:49 PM

DARPH NADER wrote:
One of things that I like about the CW series is that it reminds minds me of the episodic glory days of Dr Who. Let me explain, back in the day you always were left waiting for next weeks ep after the cliffhanger. This season especially in the four part Cad Bane story I couldn't help but being nostalgic. Granted the CW writing is a bit flimsy at times and the content is getting darker but just like Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies of the 50's these cartoons weren't aimed at kids. It's the visuals for the young kids and the dialogue for us fanboys/girls being a Dad to two saber wielding maniacs. LOL

Personally I think the last two seasons have been of lesser quality but as Jak put CW is better than no SW.
I just started watching some Dr Who. I watched "THe Waters of Mars", And the Blink EPisodes... They were GREAT!