RegisterDonateLogin

Caution: May bring balance to the Force.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Probing for a Dover DE Regional Options
LeftiesWillRule
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2012 10:53:24 AM
Groups: Member

Well, I heard it mentioned via podcasts that we can set up regionals in hitherto "deserted" states....so I'm wanting to find out how many people would be interested in attending a regional in Dover, Delaware. There are two game stores in town: one has the room for a regional (could probably hold at least 6 games at once) and has a number of sealed boosters and a few singles of SWM still available. The other store is too small to hold the regional, but has a HUGE selection of singles to peruse.

As far as local players, my brother and I are the only ones who keep up somewhat with competitive play. There are a few background non-competitive players (ones that I've heard about from the second, smaller game store and met on one occasion). I'll try to hunt them down and tell them about this, but I'll have to plan on them not lending to the number of players.

So let me know if you'd be willing to attend. If we have enough people to make it feasible, I'll talk to the game store owner and see if we can get this set up.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2012 11:01:48 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I would be interested, but it would depend on when it was. There a less than 50% chance that I'll make it to the PA regionals this weekend. If I miss those, I'd be more interested making it to the Delaware regional. Can't guarantee I'd make it, but I'm at least interested in making it there.
Hinkbert
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2012 11:47:36 AM

I'd be willing to go, depending on when it is. I imagine other players from PA would be willing to make it too, assuming it fits their schedules.
gwek
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2012 12:23:01 PM

I'm in NJ and might be interested, depending on when.

I'm assuming one of the stores is Days of Knights?
LeftiesWillRule
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2012 12:46:02 PM

gwek wrote:

Days of Knights is in Newark, which is at the northern tip f Delaware; Dover is in the middle. Thanks for pointing that store out, it would be beneficial to have it there instead of Dover, because there'd be less driving for the majority of the participants (cuts about an hour off the driving). The downside of Days of Knights is that it seems to have a pretty full event calendar and we may not be able to squeeze a regional in. It also has no Star Wars Miniatures stock. Our Game Table (name of the store, and annoying to reference in conversation I'll add) does not have events that often; if we have the regional on a saturday we'll displace the yugioh players who usually hang out then, but the store has an RPG room in the back that the Yugioh players should be able to move to. There's also Phoenix Comics & Games which has a lot of SWM singles in stock (including most of the Sith VRs, Obi on Boga, Bounty Hunter huges, Mara AE, Rebel Storm and CotF commons, etc.) that players with incomplete collections may want to stop by and check out before or after the regional.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2012 8:47:06 PM

I might not make it anyway, but I vote for mid-June.
emtjoe
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2012 11:10:34 PM

I would consider going depending on when it is held.
LeftiesWillRule
Posted: Tuesday, May 1, 2012 3:28:09 AM

FlyingArrow wrote:
I might not make it anyway, but I vote for mid-June.

Mid-June sounds good, considering I'm just starting to make plans now for this.
Hinkbert
Posted: Tuesday, May 1, 2012 7:34:09 AM

For me the 23rd or 30th would be best. I definitely recommend avoiding the 9th since that's the OH regional date.
gwek
Posted: Tuesday, May 1, 2012 8:37:48 AM

LeftiesWillRule wrote:
gwek wrote:

Days of Knights is in Newark, which is at the northern tip f Delaware; Dover is in the middle. Thanks for pointing that store out, it would be beneficial to have it there instead of Dover, because there'd be less driving for the majority of the participants (cuts about an hour off the driving). The downside of Days of Knights is that it seems to have a pretty full event calendar and we may not be able to squeeze a regional in. It also has no Star Wars Miniatures stock. Our Game Table (name of the store, and annoying to reference in conversation I'll add) does not have events that often; if we have the regional on a saturday we'll displace the yugioh players who usually hang out then, but the store has an RPG room in the back that the Yugioh players should be able to move to. There's also Phoenix Comics & Games which has a lot of SWM singles in stock (including most of the Sith VRs, Obi on Boga, Bounty Hunter huges, Mara AE, Rebel Storm and CotF commons, etc.) that players with incomplete collections may want to stop by and check out before or after the regional.

D'oh! You'll have to excuse this Jersey boy's poor Delaware geography. :)
emtjoe
Posted: Wednesday, May 2, 2012 2:50:17 AM

Hinkbert wrote:
For me the 23rd or 30th would be best. I definitely recommend avoiding the 9th since that's the OH regional date.

I thought the Ohio regional was scheduled for the 16th?

Also the 23rd would work best for me.
Hinkbert
Posted: Wednesday, May 2, 2012 3:22:01 AM

emtjoe wrote:
Hinkbert wrote:

I thought the Ohio regional was scheduled for the 16th?

Also the 23rd would work best for me.

Looks like you're correct there, my bad. So yeah, avoiding the 16th would be a good idea.
LeftiesWillRule
Posted: Wednesday, May 2, 2012 5:42:09 PM

I have confirmation that Our Game Table is willing to host the regional here in Dover. If you guys want I can look into the store in northern Delaware, but planning for a store I've never been to lends itself to uncertainties.
Hinkbert
Posted: Thursday, May 3, 2012 4:24:44 AM

Personally I don't think driving a little farther is a big deal, but maybe you can get a consensus at the PA regional this weekend since I imagine quite a few of the players there would be going to DE too.
LeftiesWillRule
Posted: Wednesday, May 16, 2012 7:32:10 AM

Now that the PA regional is over, how do things look for those of you who were interested in coming. emtjoe said the 23rd would be best for him, so if there are no objections, should I plan for that date? My LGS has confirmed that we can host the event there, but I need to get a solid date for them to put in their calendar.

Also, I must come to the topic of prize support. What would you fellows prefer? I can't exactly come up with a GenCon badge, and whatever I do provide will presumably be out-of-pocket up-front to be made up for in entry fee (I have no intentions of profiting from this). I have a few sealed booster packs (6 Legacy and 3 Bounty Hunters), and/or I have the option of making custom minis as prizes. If someone could get donations from the map guys, that might provide a boost. Of course, there is the option of making it a free event with few/no prizes (I could make a single really good custom for first place), but I don't know how you guys would feel about that.
Hinkbert
Posted: Wednesday, May 16, 2012 8:45:30 AM

I think the 23rd works best.

As for prize support, your customs are first rank and would be awesome! Maybe contact Darth Jim for some other ideas since hes run a lot of tournaments.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Wednesday, May 16, 2012 7:05:50 PM

Regarding the customs - agreed. Customs for Vset pieces would be amazing.
Darth_Jim
Posted: Wednesday, May 16, 2012 7:17:08 PM

June 9-16 I'll be on vacation in OC MD but the 23rd sounds good tentatively.
emtjoe
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2012 12:44:35 PM

The 23rd is still looking good for me.
LeftiesWillRule
Posted: Friday, May 18, 2012 5:14:44 PM

I've confirmed with the game store; we have saturday June 23rd 12-6 PM reserved at Our Game Table in Dover, Delaware.

As for prizes, I'm in the earliest phases of working on customs, which seem to be the most popular. I'm looking at what minis are available online and in local stores and picking out which V-set pieces I can make customs of (dang, commons and uncommons are getting expensive/rare!).