RegisterDonateLogin

Does NOT have a Holiday Special.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Rock, Paper, Scissors Options
Captain Typo
Posted: Wednesday, August 1, 2012 3:48:19 PM
Groups: Member

Paper should be banned from the game.

How does Rock even beat Paper anyway? Rock rips through Paper!
It is unnatural to make the sign for Paper; now Rock and Scissors are natural, but a flat hand for Paper…come on.

I don't like it when people play Paper (By that I mean I always play Rock).

Paper is so unfair, is should never been permitted in the first place (By that I mean I have my favorite play…Rock. If there was just Rock and Scissors, my Rock play would always win, or tie(which would give me another chance to win with Rock)).

The game would be better if Paper were banned (By that I mean I don't what to play anything but Rock, no other games, not Scissors, and never Paper. I just love it when I see the look on the opponent's face when I beat them with Rock and they just played Scissors).
MaliciousCrumb
Posted: Wednesday, August 1, 2012 4:00:47 PM

I've got an idea! Let's invent the Star Wars version of rock, paper, scissors! Greedo, Han, ? Jawa, droid, ? It's harder than it seems.
swinefeld
Posted: Wednesday, August 1, 2012 6:34:48 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I would play water, if I could figure out what that is. BigGrin
Captain Typo
Posted: Thursday, August 2, 2012 2:54:17 AM

swinefeld wrote:
I would play water, if I could figure out what that is. BigGrin

That's it! That is the answer!

Water was added to the game August 1, 2012; and Water soaks Paper.

This changes everything, Paper is no longer the problem and no longer needs to be banned.

Thank you very much.
qvos
Posted: Thursday, August 2, 2012 3:43:36 AM

we always threw dynamite inThumpUp
SuperYodaMan
Posted: Thursday, August 2, 2012 2:49:25 PM

What about lizard and Spock? Flapper (I hope at least one person gets that reference...)
MaliciousCrumb
Posted: Thursday, August 2, 2012 2:59:39 PM

SuperYodaMan wrote:
What about lizard and Spock? Flapper (I hope at least one person gets that reference...)

I do! What was the last one again? Rock?
SquelchDog
Posted: Thursday, August 2, 2012 7:58:28 PM

SuperYodaMan wrote:

That show is Awesome! Laugh
Darthbane53
Posted: Friday, August 3, 2012 4:46:01 AM

Hmm, im thinking Mace, Jango, Palpatine?
Mace Beats Jango
Palpie Beats Mace
Jango Beats Palpie?
501 Trooper
Posted: Friday, August 3, 2012 4:36:48 PM

Captain Typo wrote:
Paper should be banned from the game.

How does Rock even beat Paper anyway? Rock rips through Paper!
It is unnatural to make the sign for Paper; now Rock and Scissors are natural, but a flat hand for Paper…come on.

I don't like it when people play Paper (By that I mean I always play Rock).

Paper is so unfair, is should never been permitted in the first place (By that I mean I have my favorite play…Rock. If there was just Rock and Scissors, my Rock play would always win, or tie(which would give me another chance to win with Rock)).

The game would be better if Paper were banned (By that I mean I don't what to play anything but Rock, no other games, not Scissors, and never Paper. I just love it when I see the look on the opponent's face when I beat them with Rock and they just played Scissors).

This is what WotC did with GOWK!Angry It's completely stupid! (No offense, Captain Typo) Scissors is Count Dooku of Sereno and others like him, rock is all the big shooters, and Paper is GOWK.
Captain Typo
Posted: Friday, August 3, 2012 6:31:48 PM

501 Trooper wrote:
Captain Typo wrote:

.......(By that I mean I don't what to play anything but Rock, no other games, not Scissors, and never Paper....

This is what WotC did with GOWK!Angry It's completely stupid! (No offense, Captain Typo) Scissors is Count Dooku of Sereno and others like him, rock is all the big shooters, and Paper is GOWK.

lol, my point is this... Rock, Paper, Scissors is the type of game this is. It was built so an extreme squad gets defeated by something else. Many have their 'favorite' play of squads that they like/built/found; and it was a lot of work to get there. They want that squad to stay, foreverLove ...at the top of their game. If that is the case, then they should pick a different type of game that does not change every six months.Blink

A big part of this game is before one even gets to the table; outmonuvering your opponent with squadbuilding (which I am terrible at).

Some like to play "living" games, some prefer "dead" games. And Some like both.Smile
empirejeff
Posted: Friday, August 3, 2012 9:45:40 PM

rock paper Scissors lizard Spock
MaliciousCrumb
Posted: Tuesday, August 7, 2012 10:50:24 AM

Darthbane53 wrote:
Hmm, im thinking Mace, Jango, Palpatine?
Mace Beats Jango
Palpie Beats Mace
Jango Beats Palpie?

That's not bad!ThumpUp
I usually only think of 2, and the third one is tough.

Maybe Han Solo, Greedo, and Jabba?
Han beats greedo.
Greedo beats Jabba?
Jabba beats Han.
kobayashimaru
Posted: Wednesday, August 8, 2012 12:55:45 AM

@Capt. Typho,
this is an interesting perspective on the game.
You suggest that the outcome of any given Star Wars Miniatures game is pre-determined at the outset of any given game, specifically after squads are revealed (I assume), analogous to Rock, Paper and Scissors.

Doesn't that just essentially reduce to the standard "Fibonacci bias" inherent in the game though? As in, Ive noticed Player 1 has a slightly better chance generally at winning (just in games I've observed).

See, I always thought that SWMs were more akin to chess or checkers myself (hence the grid and the plethora of rulebooks/obscene arbiters decisions) BigGrin
And the aim of the game was to have fun/draw.
Captain Typo
Posted: Wednesday, August 8, 2012 6:12:13 AM

kobayashimaru wrote:
@Capt. Typho,
this is an interesting perspective on the game.
You suggest that the outcome of any given Star Wars Miniatures game is pre-determined at the outset of any given game, specifically after squads are revealed (I assume), analogous to Rock, Paper and Scissors.

If the squads are extreme (Like a super CE heavy swam squad Vs. an Furious Accurate Shot squad), then yes, one side has an unbalanced chance of winning (assuming equal playing ability).

When a squad is built to be balanced (like to win a Regional) it suffers in some ways (i.e., less powerful) to be able to be flexible to the many different squads it will face. It has been my observation that (in general (or Mr. Major Generalization LOL )) that people who build and play balanced squads are less likely to carry the "This piece needs to be banned" banner, rather, they understand the type of game it is and play within that (instead of trying to change the game into something else, because they play one squad, and want that one squad to win).

The way the game is now (summer of 2012), will not be the same ever again. With each new V-set release, the game changes. Some changes are small, other changes are bigger.

Just my 2 centsSmile
MaliciousCrumb
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2012 3:02:23 PM

Here's a general star wars mini one:
Melee, Non-Melee, Evade

Melee beats Evade (because evaders usually have low HP, to balance evade)
Evade beats Non-Melee (usually, except for bad rolls)
Non-Melee beats Melee (Blasting them apart at long-range)

Example #1: Try to beat Asajj Ventress with the new S&V Jango Fett. It just doesn't happen often at all, even though Asajj costs 4 points less.
Example #2: Try to beat Jango Fett with Durge, Jedi Hunter. As long as Jango's evade keeps up, he won't have a very hard time dealing with Durge.
Example #3: Try to beat Durge with Asajj Ventress. Well, it isn't too tough, as long as Asajj gets lucky with her rolling and is played skillfully. 1 turn adjacent to Durge can take him out easily. But, if Asajj stands in the open of Durge, she can expect to survive little longer than a jawa in front of a sandcrawler.
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2012 4:16:35 PM

My perception of it has always been:

Rock: heavy melee squads without much movement, like Darth Bane

Paper: shooter based squads, like Twi'lek Black Sun Vigos and tech

Scissors: movement breaker squads, like Yobuck swap squads
FlyingArrow
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2012 4:28:20 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I think Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock is more likely. There are more than 3 extremes to consider, and more than 3 axes.

Melee vs shooter vs direct damage (plus anti-shooter and anti-melee and anti-damage-avoidance)
Swarm vs Multiple Mid-cost Options vs Big beats
CE-heavy vs Limited CE vs No CE vs Anti-CE
Jedi vs Vong vs Droids

Probably more than just that.