RegisterDonateLogin

May not look like much, but she's got it where it counts.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Poll Question : Which is the most overdone facet of Star Wars? (Poll is closed)
Choice Votes Statistics
Too many Jedi survivors of the Purge? 2 25.000000 %
Too many Sith Lords during The Old Republic era? 0 0.000000 %
Neither 6 75.000000 %
Both 0 0.000000 %

Jedi Purge Suvivors or Sith Lords? Options
markedman247
Posted: Saturday, September 1, 2012 5:30:13 AM
Groups: Member

(note: Consider the poll for the current Star Wars Mythos vs upcoming changes)
This poll was inspired by an opinion on a Facebook post by a noted member. It got me thinking: if you could remove one of these two elements, which would it be?

I'm partial to removing the sheer numbers of Jedi survivors. It has gotten out of hand. I love the Dark Times world and, as a non-canon bit of fun, the Unleashed saga. But, when you realize the Purge was more of a "Catch and Release" philosophy, it renders the "survival" facet of the fantasy moot.

Sith are wide-spread during that timeframe but they will usually kill each other off to thin the herd.

Opinions?
jak
Posted: Saturday, September 1, 2012 7:10:05 AM

At the beginning it was Obi, and Yoda as the 2 jedi survivors of the Order 66 purge.
2 Sith & 2 Jedi, left did bring balance to the Force. So I thought.

Now, it's hard to keep up with all the Jedi survivors.
that's all I have to say about that!

thanx ObamaWink
theycallmejosh
Posted: Saturday, September 1, 2012 7:31:10 AM

I think its pretty fair.... its kinda hard to believe that EVERY jedi was a general and ALL of them were leading clones at the time that order 66 came down.... also not all jedi lead battles from the front lines...and more than one could sense the mass slaughter that was happening like yoda did... and besides that.... what would vader have done afterwards if all the jedi were gone?... He would have no one to hunt...no one to test his skill with.... he would have gotten fat and lazy
FlyingArrow
Posted: Saturday, September 1, 2012 8:26:49 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I voted neither.

If there were 10,000 Jedi Knights and 99% of them were killed, that would still leave 100 Jedi in hiding like Yoda and Obi-Wan. Are we up to that number in the EU? That doesn't even include non-Jedi with strong Force powers. Nor Jedi-in-training who were not yet knights. Once the Jedi were insignificant and in hiding, they could safely (!) be ignored.

Sith were a problem for a long time. That's fine.
knappskirata
Posted: Saturday, October 13, 2012 6:46:05 AM

FlyingArrow wrote:
I voted neither.

If there were 10,000 Jedi Knights and 99% of them were killed, that would still leave 100 Jedi in hiding like Yoda and Obi-Wan. Are we up to that number in the EU? That doesn't even include non-Jedi with strong Force powers. Nor Jedi-in-training who were not yet knights. Once the Jedi were insignificant and in hiding, they could safely (!) be ignored.

there was only about 2000 left because of the clone wars and they were spread thin throughout the galaxy
saber1
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2012 6:57:00 AM

knappskirata wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:
I voted neither.

there was only about 2000 left because of the clone wars and they were spread thin throughout the galaxy

Both numbers seem low. We aren't talking about Jedi as a % of a planet's population. Taking into account the entire population of the Republic (and some outlying areas) it's hard to believe there were only 2000 when Anakin goes postal. Just based on the people seen in the Jedi Temple in E3 (a building of scope unlike anything on Earth) I'd guess a couple thousand were killed there by DV and the 501st. I know, I know. "Official" sources contradict this. I'm just making an assertion that seems a bit more realistic. The irony of my statement as relates to SciFi does not escape me, but I digress. I can believe the 10K at the activation of O66 number, leaving up to 200 actual Jedi as potential O66 survivors. Toss in the wash outs, Baran Do and the other minor Force using traditions and you have a number that is believable and ripe for authors to continue to create enjoyable reads for the fans.