RegisterDonateLogin

Is more powerful than any Jedi!

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Map Discussion: Simulation Deck Options
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 2:01:18 PM
Groups: Member

It's a slow Bloomilk day today, so let's talk about another map. Last time we talked about a long-established one, so this time, let's talk about a brand new addition to the Restricted list from Map Maker's Battle Stations. I played my first game ever on it yesterday.

Made by: Maps of Mastery
Year of Release: 2012
Current Status: Restricted List B

- what do you like about this map?
- what squads does it suit?
- which side do you normally choose? (although I don't think it really matters for this map, since it's symmetrical!)
- a memorable game on this map?
- Dreadtech, what do you rate this one out of 5?
- and anything else you want to

If you don't have a copy already, you can get it here: http://www.mapsofmastery.com/store.html
AndyHatton
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 2:15:30 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Red. And by that I mean I've always had Red while playing this map. I really do like this map because it is perfectly symmetrical and a great looking map.

I have played 2 of my favorite games on this map. 1 with the new Caedus, Sith Lord against Mandos. Mandos moved into gambit and Caedus moved near the observation post on the bottom and had Lobot open the door. The next few rounds he Flow-walked and Sith Maniuplated Mandos all around it was really fun. Especially after Vergere died and gave him MOTF 3 and 4 extra Force Points. I would have won if I hadn't messed up with Jaq and lost him too early.

I also played a fun game with Luke Skywalker, Master of the Order and Force Adepts on this map against Charging Aces. Luke lightsaber threw his way to victory! I think FlyingArrow has less fond memories of that game.

The only thing I don't like is sometimes I find it hard to tell which squares are difficult terrain. (but I have this problem on a lot of maps.)
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 2:32:16 PM

I've only played on this once, so don't have strong opinions on it, but I do think this map has some really unique features:
- a bunch of small pits around gambit - they're a fun option for a squad that can move the opponents pieces around, but they're placed cleverly enough that they're not unbalanced.
- the defense towers have cute little slots to hide in that can see into a lot of gambit
- doors that don't connect into a wall

It seems really balanced to me, and in my opinion it's a great addition to the Restricted List. Simulation Deck is a strong and unique concept for a map, and it's been well executed.

My opponent was also pointing out that it would be a good map to run a Capture the Flag scenario on.
corranhorn
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 3:13:51 PM

I've never played a game on the Deck, altough I'll be picking up a copy soon (it look great, and the art is fantastic).

That being said, here are my thoughts....

Like Hutts said, the pits around gambit are a clever design move. Pits don't show up enough, imo.
I like that the room containing gambit (can't make out the name) has good cover for firing out. Not many maps have that, and it can be unbalancing, but it isn't here since both sides have an equal distance to go to reach gambit.
Lots of difficult terrain on this map. If you're bringing Rodian Brutes with a Squib Trader, this is probably a good candidate for your map pick.

Edit: Can I make a suggestion for the next map? If so, I'd propose the Chancellor's Starship map (otherwise known as the Imperial Base). I'll have plenty to say to make up for my inexperience with this one, as I've almost certainly played more games on that map than every other map combined. But you'll have to wait to find out why. Wink

Edit Edit: Didn't even notice the floating doors until Echo pointed them out, that's a cool idea. Love the map even more now! ThumbsUp
Echo24
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 3:38:03 PM

The only 2 games I've played on this map were during the Mystery Map tournament at GenCon 2012, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. Obviously it's perfected left/right balanced, what with it being symmetrical. I love the free-standing doors, they make a really neat strategic addition especially when you and/or your opponent has Override. I like all the pits too, and agree that you don't see them enough.

Since I've only played on this map twice it's easy to pick a most memorable game. I was playing against Mike Giles (AceAce on here and WacoBlaze on Gamers, and our awesome playtesting organizer) at GenCon, and I was playing a goofy squad with Grand Master Yoda, Eeth Koth, Foul Moudama and Roron Corobb (http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/117546/monster-mash-2012). He was playing Yobuck, Mace Windu, and some Gungan Artillerists. Anyway, in round 2 he had towed Yobuck up near one of the 2x2 pits on his side and opened the door splitting the sides, obviously planning a hit-and-run with Yobuck on his next phase. I had moved my squad up together, keeping R2 next to Roron Corobb. In round 2, before any other attacks had been made, I had the opportunity to tow Roron over next to Yobuck. I then used Force Repulse 3, obviously killing both his R2 and my R2, and also pushed his full HP Yobuck into the pit, who then failed his pit save and died. It was awesome. After that it became fairly easy to clean up, since over a quarter of his squad had died without doing anything and he didn't have any good way to kill Roron (Mace was too far away to get to him).

I think it's a little more of a shooter's map, because it does have some lengthy lines of sight, but Gambit is pretty crowded with walls which helps, and if your melee pieces can hop from safe spot to safe spot they can advance well enough.

The only complaint that I have at all is that it can be really hard to see the yellow lines sometimes. Otherwise the art is fantastic, as usual from Mapmaker.
corranhorn
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 3:44:00 PM

Echo24 wrote:

Since I've only played on this map twice it's easy to pick a most memorable game. I was playing against Mike Giles (AceAce on here and WacoBlaze on Gamers, and our awesome playtesting organizer) at GenCon, and I was playing a goofy squad with Grand Master Yoda, Eeth Koth, Foul Moudama and Roron Corobb (http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/117546/monster-mash-2012). He was playing Yobuck, Mace Windu, and some Gungan Artillerists. Anyway, in round 2 he had towed Yobuck up near one of the 2x2 pits on his side and opened the door splitting the sides, obviously planning a hit-and-run with Yobuck on his next phase. I had moved my squad up together, keeping R2 next to Roron Corobb. In round 2, before any other attacks had been made, I had the opportunity to tow Roron over next to Yobuck. I then used Force Repulse 3, obviously killing both his R2 and my R2, and also pushed his full HP Yobuck into the pit, who then failed his pit save and died. It was awesome. After that it became fairly easy to clean up, since over a quarter of his squad had died without doing anything and he didn't have any good way to kill Roron (Mace was too far away to get to him).

LOL Classic.
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 3:57:48 PM

corranhorn wrote:
Edit: Can I make a suggestion for the next map? If so, I'd propose the Chancellor's Starship map (otherwise known as the Imperial Base). I'll have plenty to say to make up for my inexperience with this one, as I've almost certainly played more games on that map than every other map combined. But you'll have to wait to find out why. Wink

That is a good non-Restricted map to look at, since it was a very popular Restricted map for a long time. I want to look at a Jedi Cartographer/Armored Gear map next though, since we haven't looked at one yet, probably one of the ones from Restricted List A (so Peaceful City or Theed Palace). But I look forward to hearing your story.
Galactic Funk
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 4:02:44 PM

I've only played on this map once and I really enjoyed it. As for the visibility of the yellow lines, I was having trouble with that too in game and realized late that if I focused on the elevation changes it was a little easier to see where the lines ran.

Looking forward to playing on this one again soon.

Btw, thanks for posting the Maps of Mastery link the Hutts, now I know where I can purchase these.

corranhorn
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2013 6:49:06 AM

TheHutts wrote:
corranhorn wrote:

That is a good non-Restricted map to look at, since it was a very popular Restricted map for a long time. I want to look at a Jedi Cartographer/Armored Gear map next though, since we haven't looked at one yet, probably one of the ones from Restricted List A (so Peaceful City or Theed Palace). But I look forward to hearing your story.

Sounds good!
dreadtech
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2013 7:22:10 AM

I don't remember buying any maps from Map Maker's but I think I might have this map, was it only available from him? if so must of had it of Ebay. will have to go though all my maps to see.
I know I have never used this map in game though, However in post 1 you mention non-restricted and restricted, what does that mean exactly?
AndyHatton
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2013 7:27:01 AM

dreadtech wrote:
I remember buying any maps from Map Maker's but I think I might have this map, was it only available from him? if so must of had it of Ebay. will have to go though all my maps to see.
I know I have never used this map in game though, However in post 1 you mention non-restricted and restricted, what does that mean exactly?

This is one of his newest maps, he ran a kickstarter for it last year (that is how I got mine.)

EDIT: Restricted is a term used in tournament play to determine what maps are legal. See the list here: http://www.swmresources.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=258:restricted-map-list&catid=9&Itemid=104

Thanks to the ever helpful SWMResources! ThumpUp
dreadtech
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2013 7:37:01 AM

AndyHatton wrote:
dreadtech wrote:
I don't remember buying any maps from Map Maker's but I think I might have this map, was it only available from him? if so must of had it of Ebay. will have to go though all my maps to see.

This is one of his newest maps, he ran a kickstarter for it last year (that is how I got mine.)

EDIT: Restricted is a term used in tournament play to determine what maps are legal. See the list here: http://www.swmresources.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=258:restricted-map-list&catid=9&Itemid=104

OK, since I don't do tournaments explains why i've never heard about it. However why would you ban maps? I know some maps are not as friendly to certain squads but that should just be the luck of the draw to which map gets picked. Still not that it makes a difference to me. I would like to say in our casual games at home no map is banned and maps are chosen at random unless its a themed battle such as Hoth.

Also it seems I don't have this map so must be one of the others in the group who has it.
swinefeld
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2013 8:15:36 AM

dreadtech wrote:
OK, since I don't do tournaments explains why i've never heard about it. However why would you ban maps? I know some maps are not as friendly to certain squads but that should just be the luck of the draw to which map gets picked.

It's not so much a 'ban', but rather to limit the pool of maps that are used for for high-level competitive tournaments so that abusive map/squad combos do not stifle the diversity of squad types that can be played successfully. Using the Restricted list is only required for major SWMGPA sanctioned events like Regionals and Gencon. Below that level, it is recommended, but at the tourney organizer's discretion.
Sithborg
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2013 9:55:39 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

dreadtech wrote:
AndyHatton wrote:
dreadtech wrote:

OK, since I don't do tournaments explains why i've never heard about it. However why would you ban maps? I know some maps are not as friendly to certain squads but that should just be the luck of the draw to which map gets picked. Still not that it makes a difference to me. I would like to say in our casual games at home no map is banned and maps are chosen at random unless its a themed battle such as Hoth.

Also it seems I don't have this map so must be one of the others in the group who has it.

Because you get shenagins with maps like Mustafar and Geonosis. In a tournament setting, some maps are just not good, tieing the game down to who wins map.
TheHutts
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2013 10:39:41 AM

And there are 18 maps on the Restricted List now, so there's lots of choice. I really dislike maps like Korriban where there isn't a safe starting area.
corranhorn
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2013 12:06:51 PM

TheHutts wrote:
And there are 18 maps on the Restricted List now, so there's lots of choice. I really dislike maps like Korriban where there isn't a safe starting area.

Yeah, I get annoyed if there isn't somewhere safe to dump people like Mas.
thereisnotry
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2013 1:33:30 PM

Mobile shooters with high damage (Rex, Cad, Atton) can RULE entire sides of the board when they hide in one of the four Defense Towers.

I also like the free-standing doors, but when they're open they give a HUGE amount of wide-open lines of sight, almost across the board; pieces with Shatterbeam (OR Juggernaut Droid and Veteran Ugnaught) are very powerful for that purpose. Stealth pieces with Override can be very effective here too.

I think this map is actually a bit too advantageous to shooters because of the many long lines of fire and the large amounts of difficult terrain. It's simply awesome for 500pt Epic Lord Hoth Furious Assault squads!!! I know because this was my map at a recent 500pt tournament.

The only thing I dislike about the map is that there are too many difficult terrain (yellow squares) around the middle of the map. They stifle movement too much. Other than that, this thing can be lots of fun to play on, if you're prepared for it.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Saturday, August 10, 2013 9:13:01 PM

Caedus on this map can be deadly with so many pits around.