RegisterDonateLogin

Surrounds us. Penetrates us. Binds the galaxy together.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

FrostyCon 2013: Event Results Options
DARPH NADER
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2013 7:45:41 AM
Groups: Member

More to come...

but...

Winner of the KotR - Darph Nader

Winner of the 200 - Hinkbert

Winner of Epic 500 - TimmerB123

Full play reports out later on.
Hinkbert
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2013 12:03:38 PM

The squads for top 4 finishers were:

1. GOWK/Mace w/ HK-47
2. Dass, Luke, Leia and rebel techiness
3. Naboo pilot/trooper squad
4. Klatooinian Assassins with Poggle bombs

As Nader said more to follow but there's the initial info.
DARPH NADER
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 9:51:37 AM

Saturday 200 Constructed Results...

For my 666 post on Bloomilk....

The field on Saturday saw (11) players, with the following faction mix…

(2) Old Republic
(2) Rebel
(2) Mandalorian
(1) Separatist
(2) Republic
(1) Imperial
(1) New Republic

The Squads….

“Mace, Meatbag Annihilator” by Josh Hinkel (a.k.a. Hinkbert on Bloomilk & swmgamers)

Mace Windu LotLS
GOWK
HK-47 AD
Lobot
Doombot
Rodian Diplomat
Map choice: Asteroid Base

“Assassins in Exile” by Jack MacEwen (a.k.a. jak on Bloomilk)

Jedi Exile
Bastila Shan, JM
Atton "Jaq"
Mical
Juggernaut WD
Klat Assassin x2
Uggie Demo x2
MSD x2
Map choice: No map selected

“Corran Horn” by Ted Peck (a.k.a. Eroschilles on Bloomilk)

Corran Horn, JM
Anakin Solo, GH
Dash, RS
TBSV
Klat Capt.
Jagged Fel
Jan Dodonna
R7
MSD x2
Uggie Demo

“Dass Boot” by Tim Ballard (a.k.a. TimmerB123 on Bloomilk & SWMgamers)

Dass Jennir
Lobot
Luke, RC
Leia, RC
TBSV
ERC
Crix
SpecForce Tech
Rieekan
Dodonna
MSD x2
Map choice: Rhen Var

“Vindication” by Jake Koleczek (a.k.a. sthlrd2 on Bloomilk & swmgamers)

Mandalore the Vindicated
Mando Tactician
Mando Capt.
Mando Scout x2
Mando Gunny
Mando CIO
Mando Crusader x2
MSD x3
Uggie Demo x2
Map choice: Cargo Docks

“Glory to the Mandos” by Corey Budwine (a.k.a. pastorbudwine@mac.com on Bloomilk)

Mandalore the Vindicated
Jaster Mereel
Mando Scout x2
Mando Gunny
Mando Scientist
MSD x3
Uggie Demo

“?” by Chris Cook (a.k.a. christophercook on Bloomilk)

Master Yoda
Hanny, RG
Luke, RC
Leia, RC
Crix
SpecForce Tech.
Momaw Nadon
Dodonna
ObiGhost
MSD
Uggie Demo x2
Map choice: Cargo Docks

“No CE's” by Luke Cook

Bastila Shan, JM
Lobot
Klat Assassin x11
R7
Map choice: Grand Plaza

“Secret Agent” by Jim McNaney (a.k.a. Darth_Jim on Bloomilk & swmgamers)

DV, AoE
Thrawn
Lobot
Pellaeon
Ozzel
501st LS x2
Mas Amedda
Rodian Brute x5
Uggie Demo x2
Map choice: Bothan Spynet

“tWinning” by Steve Mitchell (a.k.a. captaingig on Bloomilk & swmgamers)

Geneal Whorm Loathsome
Poggle the Lesser
Lobot
Klat Assassin x9
Geonosian Drone x7
MSD x5
Uggie Demo x2

“R.N.A.F.” by Gerry Russell (a.k.a. DARPH NADER on Bloomilk & swmgamers)

Mon Mothma
Yularen
Panaka of Theed
Queen Amidala
Naboo Pilot x7
Doombot
Mas Amedda
Naboo Trooper x2
Rodian Dippy
Spaarti X2
Klatoonian Fartbag
Map choice: Theed Palace

Final Standings:

Name W/L Swiss Points

1. Hinkbert (Josh Hinkel) 4-0 (10)
2. TimmerB123 (Tim Ballard) 3-1 (7)
3. DARPH NADER (Gerry Russell) * 3-1 (7)
4. captaingig (Steve Mitchell) 3-1 (6)
5. Luke Cook (Luke Cook) 2-2 (6)
6. sthlrd2 (Jake Koleczek) 2-2 (6)
7. christophercook (Chris Cook) 2-2 (4)
8. Darth_Jim (Jim McNaney) 2-2 (4)
9. pastorbudwine (Corey Budwine) * 1-3 (3)
10. jak (Jack MacEwen) * 1-3 (3)
11. Eroschilles (Ted Peck) * 1-3 (3)

* denotes a bye round

Semis:
Hinkbert vs captaingig
TimmerB123 vs DARPH NADER

Final:
Hinkbert vs TimmerB123

Sportsmanship Award:
Eroschilles (Ted Peck)
AndyHatton
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 10:39:49 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Wow Dass Jennir with a strong showing! Thank you for the list, always interesting to see how squads are doing and what people are thinking of.
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 4:30:57 PM

Does anyone who was there have info on the spoilers?

3 squads in different factions with multiple Klatooinian Asssassins is pretty cool - they're one of the best non-uniques out there.

And good work Jim rocking the Agent of Evil - he's just about my favourite piece, but I've never been brave enough to bring him to a tournament.

TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 5:26:11 PM

AndyHatton wrote:
Wow Dass Jennir with a strong showing! Thank you for the list, always interesting to see how squads are doing and what people are thinking of.

I brought the squad against my better judgement (not at all in my comfort zone), but I wanted a challenge. Ironically, even though it is built as a "nuke" squad (Dass Jennir can do 200 damage in one activation with the right setup), it struggled heavily against the only "rock" squad I faced, and handled the swarm squads. It's still rebel, so it's still tech heavy and in some ways fragile, but it was fun.

Leia RC was key - specifically her versatility. I dropped her for Leia Rebel hero vs both Klatoo swarms, and it worked wonders. She allowed Dass, ERC, and Luke to kill a Klatoo or a Geo Drone and move back before they exploded. In one game I used Dass (mouse in place, levitated by Luke, using greater mobile from the Twigo, and using Leia RH's CE to swat two Klatoos in a line then move back. Several were lined up 2x2 in cover, and since they were 2x2 they all killed each other. Seven in one turn without taking a single bit of damage. Sweet.

The overall MVP of my squad was certainly the SpecForce Tech. So integral to the squad. I playtested ONCE with Jake, and he made a great move and killed my SpecForce Tech, and I was totally screwed. Leia, Dass, Twigo, Crix, and not to mention Dodanna and Rieekan ALL shoot twin when within 6 of him, and they along with the ERC all jolt too! Once he goes down my damage output is virtually cut in half.

I had a couple of close games, specifically a VERY close one against the other rebel build (Chris Cook) where Leia vs Leia both surprise attacking each other was the game. I had the luck with my evade rolls and he did not.

All in all I had such a blast! Thanks again to my travel buddies Jake and Jack - and big thanks to the whole Russell clan for the hospitality!!! Gerry - you run great events and I have such a fun time!

Also great to just see and hang out with a bunch of people I rarely see outside of GenCon. Jim, Ted, Josh, Heather, Luke, Chris, Corey and Steve-o - awesome to see you all!
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 5:27:14 PM

TheHutts wrote:
Does anyone who was there have info on the spoilers?

3 squads in different factions with multiple Klatooinian Asssassins is pretty cool - they're one of the best non-uniques out there.

And good work Jim rocking the Agent of Evil - he's just about my favourite piece, but I've never been brave enough to bring him to a tournament.

I won't steal Gerry's thunder. I will however post a picture of the CUSTOM I one of one of the V-set 5 previews once I load it. It is amazing!

http://www.facebook.com/groups/220192731340366/?fref=ts
Hinkbert
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 5:57:59 PM

So my squad was based off an idea that TinT had at Gencon and since he and I both love running Mace I figured this would be a good tourney to try it out (well that and I didn't have much a chance to try competitive squads before the event).

My first swiss round was against Pastorbudwine and his Mando squad on Asteroid base. I controlled gambit while he took mostly ineffectual shots at my pieces. When he placed his 2 scouts close to each other so Mace could base them I ran him in and he took both out with a crit. Unfortunately the ensuing deathshots and then a well-timed crit from Mandalore Vin wrecked Mace. I then got 2 good pushes off with GOWK (along with some shots from HK) to reduce his squad to just Mandalore. So HK stayed in gambit behind GOWK and took shots at Mandalore until he finally went down.

The 2nd round was against Luke Cook and it was an excruciating game. He won map so I facing down 12 Klat Assassins on Grand Plaza with Bastila turning off GOWK's ce and boosting said assassins. I stupidly chose to test out the Baran Do Sage in that match to see if he could work to replace the shieldbearer I didn't have in my squad. He didn't work. I lost every piece in that game except Mace and GOWK who had 10 and 20 hp left at the end of the game respectively. But....all the assassins were dead and won 142 to 137.

3rd round vs. Nader and his Deathshot Naboo. We played on Asteroid Base. I learned from our 2012 Gencon Champ and let HK do the heavy lifting while having him hide behind GOWK. HK was able to kill enough pilots while keeping them at bay with disruptive that I won the game 58 to 52 I believe (it may have been 58 to 54, I know it was close). I would be remiss if I didn't mention that Nader rolled a 20 for init right out of the gate, cause yeah, it wasn't going to be enough of an uphill battle.

Final swiss round vs. Timmer. We knew we would both be in the finals so we played a little fast and loose. I put GOWK and Mace in aggressive positions and he ran in Dass to try and put the hurt on Mace. He missed twice, Mace reflected once, and then ate 30 damage. Timmer then failed his Dispassionate Killer save so bye bye Dass. Mace then did his thing, along with GOWK and HK, good ol' Dr. E. that I brought in with reinforcements killed 3 pieces with homicidal surgery.

Semi-final vs. captaingig and his Klat Assassins with bugs
I knew this was going to be a low scoring match if I wanted much of a chance to win. We played on Asteroid Base and I made a bottle neck with mouse droids with HK behind to prevent advancement. I hid Lobot and only used Mace to kill an Uggie and one Klat. About halfway through the game I placed GOWK in gambit where he stayed and never attacked. Gig wasn't able to kill any of my pieces that were worth points, even with bringing in a Jawa Scavenger, and I ended up winning 29 to 10.

Final vs. Timmer again.
I won map and we played on Asteroid Base. He took the side I had been using so I set up bottom left and charged in. He took a chance on killing R2, only needing a 5 with combined fire, and he rolled a 4. He then won init and rolled a 3 to try to kill R2. So Mace was towed in like a freight train and began to pick off his guys. Tim got some damage on Mace but he left Lobot vulnerable to a push from GOWK and I took out his commanders one at a time and once I scored over 80 points I pulled Mace back a bit and played more defensively since Tim at that point would have to at least defeat Mace or Gowk to win along with the rest of my squad to win (GOWK and Mace add up to 120 points together). He wasn't able to do so and eventually I took out Dass (who at this point was pretty well nerfed since he had no CE support) and won the game, along with Frosty Con and a sweet (& appropriate) Obi-Wan Kenobi lightsaber.

I want to thank Gerry for once again hosting Frosty Con and for letting us all crash at his place. It's always a blast to get together with people and play some minis and I hope to see you all in June for the regional.
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 6:34:49 PM

Epic tournament champion squad:

--Epic NPE!!!--
132 Darth Maul Shadow Hunter
57 General Grievous, Droid Army Commander
90 X-1 Viper Droid x2
36 Darth Sidious
90 IG Lancer Droid x3
20 T-Series Tactical Droid
16 IG-86 Assassin Droid
15 Battle Droid Sergeant
12 Gha Nachkt
10 San Hill
8 Battle Droid Officer
14 R7 Astromech Droid x2

(500pts. 16 activations)

Nobody could handle firepower of this magnitude.

Played in Muunilinst.

Bastila was a nuisance for a second, until a pawned lancer turned her off. 3 turns in a row. Vipers were MVPs.

3 lancers with board wide twin and +4/+4 is so sick. And the amazing thing is that they are essentially disposable. Don't get me wrong - they are key, but they can do their thing and die. I am so used to playing single lancer where you're pretty much done when it dies, that it's weird sending them out on suicide runs.

The Vipers did the heavy lifting. Double twin at +16 for 40 (with the BD sergeant) is insane. Following up with a twinning IG-86 shooting twin at +21 for 40 is icing on the cake. Then the T-series is the knockout punch to do (usually) another 80 damage after init. I hardly used Maul all day.
AndyHatton
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 6:55:50 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

TimmerB123 wrote:
AndyHatton wrote:

I brought the squad against my better judgement (not at all in my comfort zone), but I wanted a challenge. Ironically, even though it is built as a "nuke" squad (Dass Jennir can do 200 damage in one activation with the right setup), it struggled heavily against the only "rock" squad I faced, and handled the swarm squads. It's still rebel, so it's still tech heavy and in some ways fragile, but it was fun.

Leia RC was key - specifically her versatility. I dropped her for Leia Rebel hero vs both Klatoo swarms, and it worked wonders. She allowed Dass, ERC, and Luke to kill a Klatoo or a Geo Drone and move back before they exploded. In one game I used Dass (mouse in place, levitated by Luke, using greater mobile from the Twigo, and using Leia RH's CE to swat two Klatoos in a line then move back. Several were lined up 2x2 in cover, and since they were 2x2 they all killed each other. Seven in one turn without taking a single bit of damage. Sweet.

The overall MVP of my squad was certainly the SpecForce Tech. So integral to the squad. I playtested ONCE with Jake, and he made a great move and killed my SpecForce Tech, and I was totally screwed. Leia, Dass, Twigo, Crix, and not to mention Dodanna and Rieekan ALL shoot twin when within 6 of him, and they along with the ERC all jolt too! Once he goes down my damage output is virtually cut in half.

I had a couple of close games, specifically a VERY close one against the other rebel build (Chris Cook) where Leia vs Leia both surprise attacking each other was the game. I had the luck with my evade rolls and he did not.

All in all I had such a blast! Thanks again to my travel buddies Jake and Jack - and big thanks to the whole Russell clan for the hospitality!!! Gerry - you run great events and I have such a fun time!

Also great to just see and hang out with a bunch of people I rarely see outside of GenCon. Jim, Ted, Josh, Heather, Luke, Chris, Corey and Steve-o - awesome to see you all!

Really interesting stuff, I would have never thought of Dass+Spec Force. Great call, the main Rebels I thought of from this set were Leia+Master Yoda+Ferus. But I think I like Dass a lot more, especially for the shooting option (and obviously Twin.) The Spec Force is really an awesome addition to the Rebel arsenal along with versatile Leia, she helps out their damage output in so many builds and is a just plain useful piece.
Darth_Jim
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 3:35:57 AM

Thanks, Graham. Yeah, I like Vader AoE as well. I first played him at Wampa Stompa last year and saw promise with him. My thought was that instead of relying on those reserves, to try and build and play as if I wouldn't get them. I don't like relying on 10pt 501st Stormtroopers (with rapport) for my ranged damage but for the most part it works. Against Gerry's Naboo Pilots it is a problem, though. I felt like any mistake I made in that game had greater ramifications. I've had 2 close games now with it against bomb squads (at Wampa Stompa last year and also Saturday) and am refining my strategy in those games and have confidence I can handle those. My game against Captain Gig's Poggle/Klatoonian bomb squad was tied at the end and he won by having a character 1 square closer to the center, so a few dice rolls and I could have been 3-1 with it. It's worth some more study.
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 2:20:59 PM

Darth_Jim wrote:
Thanks, Graham. Yeah, I like Vader AoE as well. I first played him at Wampa Stompa last year and saw promise with him. My thought was that instead of relying on those reserves, to try and build and play as if I wouldn't get them. I don't like relying on 10pt 501st Stormtroopers (with rapport) for my ranged damage but for the most part it works. Against Gerry's Naboo Pilots it is a problem, though. I felt like any mistake I made in that game had greater ramifications. I've had 2 close games now with it against bomb squads (at Wampa Stompa last year and also Saturday) and am refining my strategy in those games and have confidence I can handle those. My game against Captain Gig's Poggle/Klatoonian bomb squad was tied at the end and he won by having a character 1 square closer to the center, so a few dice rolls and I could have been 3-1 with it. It's worth some more study.

It's the lack of ranged defence and 20HP on those 501st Stormtroopers that always scares me. There are so many fun Imperial toys for them though - GARY came out after them, but the combo of initiative control with Thrawn, cunning with GARY, and three activations first round with Grand Moff Tarkin could put out a lot of damage. I played around with a 150 point reserves squad, using Carnor Jax for a meat shield and for Anticipation, too. There are so many options.
DARPH NADER
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 4:12:53 PM

Usually I like to do a full report on my matches but this time I will simply summarize my thoughts.

After an unwelcome Bye I played against Darth_Jim for the first time and had a time trying to deal with his 4 Camaasi Nobles. No choice but to play it cagey, which held me to a hard fought 2pts.

Against the Meatbag Annihilator as Hinkbert already lamented first round "good news!" as I got reserves. However with 9 pilots I still couldn't breakthrough to HK to unleash the full Bravado effect. Untimely failed evade saves cost me dearly as I was in good shape for a potential two pointer IMO. Narrow loss 58-52 or 58-54 as I can't remember.

Next up was sthlrd2 and his Vindication. Boy I got lucky here because my play prompted Jake to advance Vindicated into gambit and I totally forgot about him having Disruptive. My two Naboo Troopers really saved the day with their deceptive I was able to kill his Gunsmith and got the Vindicated with a concerted effort right before time was called for a two point win. Another amazing encounter with my man Jake!

So onto the semis against Tim where I got to see his Bruce Jenner squad. At the top of round 2, Leia came up to try and kill Doombot and a Spaarti which would have effectively make it impossible for me to win. Leia killed Doombot but I won init and scragged Leia with a Pilot. Like the Panzers in the spring Russian mud, the match came to grinding positional halt. In the end I got slow rolled by Bruce Jenner; as no Doombot and Tim's overrides set the ability for Madine via tempo to waltz in and disrupt enough pieces, for Tim to eek out a 34-32 victory with timely hits.

A good day all in all. Once again I had epic encounters with each of my opponents, which is the reason why I look to hold these events. I appreciate the kind words and know that I appreciate all of you who came out to make FrostyCon a success. A special thanks to the newcomers to WNY, Jake & Ted it was great to see you both again and I hope everybody can make it back for our regional on 6/1.

jak
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 7:21:09 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:
Epic tournament champion squad:

--Epic NPE!!!--
132 Darth Maul Shadow Hunter
57 General Grievous, Droid Army Commander
90 X-1 Viper Droid x2
36 Darth Sidious
90 IG Lancer Droid x3
20 T-Series Tactical Droid
16 IG-86 Assassin Droid
15 Battle Droid Sergeant
12 Gha Nachkt
10 San Hill
8 Battle Droid Officer
14 R7 Astromech Droid x2

(500pts. 16 activations)

Nobody could handle firepower of this magnitude.

Played in Muunilinst.

Bastila was a nuisance for a second, until a pawned lancer turned her off. 3 turns in a row. Vipers were MVPs.

3 lancers with board wide twin and +4/+4 is so sick. And the amazing thing is that they are essentially disposable. Don't get me wrong - they are key, but they can do their thing and die. I am so used to playing single lancer where you're pretty much done when it dies, that it's weird sending them out on suicide runs.

The Vipers did the heavy lifting. Double twin at +16 for 40 (with the BD sergeant) is insane. Following up with a twinning IG-86 shooting twin at +21 for 40 is icing on the cake. Then the T-series is the knockout punch to do (usually) another 80 damage after init. I hardly used Maul all day.

yes, I was forced to eat "timbits" all game long.
great player(& person) + squad from hellz= me needing yet another "man"pon
made me wish I could play Ger-Brear again, at least that game was close
DARPH NADER
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2013 1:37:20 PM

My KotR Squad that brought home the 2013 Trophy... BigGrin

Nightsister on Rancor
Corran Horn, Jedi Master
Mara Jade Skywalker, Jedi Master
Cade Skywalker, Padawan
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2013 5:07:15 PM

DARPH NADER wrote:
My KotR Squad that brought home the 2013 Trophy... BigGrin

Nightsister on Rancor
Corran Horn, Jedi Master
Mara Jade Skywalker, Jedi Master
Cade Skywalker, Padawan

(A little playful trash-talking, Gerry and I have the rapport to do this in good fun - mods don't misinterpret)

Luck kept your squad away from my Darth Nihilus Lord of Hunger. He came out at exactly the worst time in the first round, which kept me from advancing. In the next match he almost single-handedly beat the entirety of the other 12 enemies by himself - to the point where everyone was crying that he is broken and it made the game no fun for them. (It was quite fun for me!)

I'd challenge my 4 vs your 4 any day! Flapper BigGrin
DARPH NADER
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2013 8:02:37 PM

Tim isn't luck of the draw the point with this format, not that it would have helped you anyway.

As an old AH Naval War veteran, my scuttling skills are unmatched and I'll happily pit my four against yours anytime.

Razz