RegisterDonateLogin

Fearless and inventive.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Dr. Who Adventures in time and space RPG Options
Darthbane53
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2013 11:32:42 AM
Groups: Member

Hey guys! I just picked up the books for the Dr. Who Adventures in Time and Space RPG game and plan on surprising my girlfriend with it for her birthday. I am quite an experienced game (been playing for 5-6 years VERY avidly) and she is a HUGE Dr. Who fan, but not a gamer. I tryed teaching her clix once and it didnt turn out to well :cry: but she is so crazy about Dr. Who I have no doubt she will give it a try.

What I want to know is have any of you ever played this game? Im looking for some first had feed back on how it plays and how fun it is. Its based on a non-combative resolution system, which sounds odd to me, but im open to trying to try and make her in to a gamer girl. If you know anything about it please let me know. Thanks!
corranhorn
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2013 2:12:22 PM

Never played it but if it's good I'll check it out. This seems as good a place as any to share my thoughts on Doctor Who RPGs. Tongue

I'm not sure that the fiction translates well to an RPG setting. (I've never played a DW RPG so any misconceptions I have about them is due to that). The basis for Doctor Who is the image of the Doctor himself. A near-immortal being who can travel anywhere in time or space and is possessed of incredible brainpower and skill, yet still cannot stop every tragedy or defeat every evil-doer. He has to continue to sacrifice himself (or, as is more often the case, those he loves) for the good of the universe and, more specifically, the people in it. His character is the ultimate conflict between nihilism and self-sacrifice. Of course, the idea of the universe being completely open and avaulable to explore (but at what cost?) is vital to this story. So, I guess what I'm saying is that I don't think playing as a Sontaran fighting Daleks on the planet of the Ood really captures DW in the same way that swingign your lightsaber at sotrmtroopers to delay their approach to the Rebel base captures SW. Just my 2 cents.

Of course, that dosen't mean that I don't want to play as a Sontaran fighting Daleks on the planet of the Ood! Razz
kobayashimaru
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2013 2:12:52 PM

Somebody get this guy a medal! Seriously, thats awesome that you're thinking of your loved one and surprising her like that! BigGrin
I hope it goes well!

To the game review/feedback,
Theres lots of online forums both for this particular game and for D&D/Pathfinder mods, and custom roleplay games...
To be honest, I found the out of the box Dr Who Adventures in Time and Space RPG kit a little gimmicky, kinda like a D&D lite...
its a bunch of scenarios and a lot of fanservice, mixed with a bit of trivia and scissors paper rock.
If you're into really role-playing, maybe with some voices and all, play along with this game.
If you want some more combat, and you're not afraid of hurting the doctor, and you want longer story arcs... give one of the mods out there of D&D or Pathfinder a go

EDIT: The Doctor is quite a lot more vulnerable in any of the mods too, and once you target the sonic screwdriver/remove it and disable his tardis, the doctor has to rely on Destiny Points to get through... He seems to have an unlimited number of those too...

Hopefully the thought will be taken well, and with a bit of luck, it'll be a gateway game to get her hooked into more characterful RPGs!
corranhorn
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2013 2:39:59 PM

kobayashimaru wrote:
Somebody get this guy a medal! Seriously, thats awesome that you're thinking of your loved one and surprising her like that! BigGrin
I hope it goes well!

He's been putting all that customs commission $ from me to good work, it seems! Tongue
pastorbudwine@mac.com
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2013 5:56:30 PM

there is a Dr Who Minis Game out there as well that was pretty cool and had some promise