RegisterDonateLogin

I'm the only human who can drink it.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Poll Question : Who would win a game between Opp./Cunn. Squads? (Poll is closed)
Choice Votes Statistics
The Oppoutrunistic ones! 5 71.428571 %
The Cunning guys (and gals)! 1 14.285714 %
It will be a complete and even draw, noone wins :( 1 14.285714 %

Oppourtunist VS. Cunning. Who wins? Options
pegolego
Posted: Friday, April 26, 2013 7:01:26 AM
Groups: Member

For the purpose of this poll, assume neither team is using ANY Tempo control/breakers.
swinefeld
Posted: Friday, April 26, 2013 7:40:17 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

The side that rolls better will win. Not enough information to base a choice on otherwise.
pegolego
Posted: Friday, April 26, 2013 7:54:25 AM

I assumed most people considered one stronger than the other in general. That's kinda what I was asking.
Echo24
Posted: Friday, April 26, 2013 8:21:11 AM

I think it's kind of even between the two, especially if you don't have tempo control or movement breakers. Opportunist is generally an easier bonus to get, because its fairly easy to deny someone Cunning (just move an activated figure in the way), but when you DO get the Cunning bonus it's usually a bigger benefit, since it's generally better to attack unactivated pieces, especially if you can kill them that turn. If you can kill a piece with Cunning you deny them their activation that round, if you have to kill a piece with Opportunist than they will have gotten that activation.
den25
Posted: Friday, April 26, 2013 8:29:23 AM

There are MANY variables here, but for the sake of getting this discussion going for you I'll choose Cunning. Not that it's my favorite, but for one simple fact:

I'd rather shoot first - (just ask Han Solo)

You shoot first with Cunning, kill the guy with Opportunist.

Again, I know there are many variables at play here. I'm just boiling it down to one simple thought (in a game that can lead to overthinking for good and bad reasons):

Kill the other guy first!

ThumbsUp
pegolego
Posted: Friday, April 26, 2013 8:33:33 AM

Thanks guys! These are great things to consider when building a squad. I definitely should get some Cunning in my Vong squad with which I intend to beat my friend's best Black and Blue squad (I challenged him). It's a Nom Bomb squad. Force Immune kills the Black, Muun Tactics Broker negates part of the Blue, bombs set off almost at will... It's pretty tight, but I was wondering if Cunning could really best Thrawn's opportunist, and how.
adamb0nd
Posted: Friday, April 26, 2013 8:34:12 AM

I've always preferred opportunists... it takes less resources and luck to shoot last than to shoot first in this game.
pegolego
Posted: Friday, April 26, 2013 8:57:46 AM

True adamb0nd. I personally prefer Cunning, as I like to do EVERYTHING fastest and first, but I agree that it is much easier to use Opportunists. Unless somebody has Cunning +20 and triple attack, in which case you won't get around to shooting your opportunist...
UrbanShmi
Posted: Friday, April 26, 2013 4:35:11 PM

I like to build with Cunning, because I feel like it throws your opponent off his game. Everyone gets used to moving their scrubs in the early part of the round, and saving their power pieces to the end. But if I'm packing a lot of Cunning Attack, it can force my opponent to move a piece before he's ready to. And it's actually not a big disadvantage even if you lose initiative, because your opponent can only move one piece, so he will have to choose who to leave potentially vulnerable to attack.
pegolego
Posted: Friday, April 26, 2013 6:27:53 PM

Good point UrbanShmi. Gotta take that 1 for 2 first round rule into account Wink
DaKeyring
Posted: Friday, April 26, 2013 8:34:40 PM

what i do is i try to have a mix of both, but this rarely happens due to faction restrictions. a mate of mine will always put characters with cunning attack in a IE Thrawn squad to permanently give them a +4 an +10. I especially hate it when he does that with Boba Fett, Merecnary.
But overall, they are the same, but i prefer cunning, as opportunist relies on the other character activating, which can potentially damage you. so CUNNING ALL THE WAY!!!
wannabe mexican
Posted: Saturday, April 27, 2013 4:32:13 AM

UrbanShmi wrote:
I like to build with Cunning, because I feel like it throws your opponent off his game. Everyone gets used to moving their scrubs in the early part of the round, and saving their power pieces to the end. But if I'm packing a lot of Cunning Attack, it can force my opponent to move a piece before he's ready to. And it's actually not a big disadvantage even if you lose initiative, because your opponent can only move one piece, so he will have to choose who to leave potentially vulnerable to attack.

I like this thinking. I enjoy throwing my opponent off their game, but don't use Cunning very much. I think I will start putting it back into my squads.

I think one of the better way of using Cunning, is to make sure you have Sniper or Accurate. That forces the opponent to play even more cautiously, and perhaps try dealing damage earlier than their strategy would call for.