RegisterDonateLogin

Could still beat you with 1 Doombot tied behind its back.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

New 3D printer to be sould at Staples!!!- How it might affect MInis and Costumers Options
qvos
Posted: Monday, May 6, 2013 6:02:21 PM
Groups: Member

Ok, I heard on NPR( OK I know I'm Old) that Staples will be carrying the new 3-D printer for about $1200.00.
As an Avid Star Wars Costumer( Revan ect.) and Minis player, I can see some great potential for this. At this moment it might seem a little expensive, However I can see that there would be so many options for making minis and for making specific costume parts. No more sculpting and crafting arm and chest pieces.... Well, i don't know, I still love doing that, But it does open up some opportunities.
1. What do you think of this news, And 2. how might you take advantage of it
Cassus fett
Posted: Monday, May 6, 2013 6:14:32 PM

The news is great and if I could afford it I'd take full advantage.
adamb0nd
Posted: Monday, May 6, 2013 6:24:34 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Cassus fett wrote:

I think every year the technology gets better and cheaper to produce. if the game is around in five years it'll be the perfect solution
Cassus fett
Posted: Monday, May 6, 2013 6:29:54 PM

adamb0nd wrote:
Cassus fett wrote:

I think every year the technology gets better and cheaper to produce. if the game is around in five years it'll be the perfect solution

Indeed :)
qvos
Posted: Monday, May 6, 2013 6:55:37 PM

I'm wondering about the design side of things. Will plans for things be able to be downloaded. Can a person design and enter it into the program. I'm really hoping that if there is a design program, it's user friendly. .... Ive got so many ideas!!!!!! I also think that it will change the way copyright infringment is viewed. I'm sure there will be a lot of issues with that.
engineer
Posted: Monday, May 6, 2013 6:57:35 PM

A local buddy of mine has a 3D printer. The person printer is not quite there. Maybe the next version will be there for mini's.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, May 6, 2013 6:59:21 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

qvos wrote:
I'm wondering about the design side of things. Will plans for things be able to be downloaded. Can a person design and enter it into the program. I'm really hoping that if there is a design program, it's user friendly. .... Ive got so many ideas!!!!!! I also think that it will change the way copyright infringment is viewed. I'm sure there will be a lot of issues with that.

It's pretty much the same issue that came up when recordable audio tapes or video tapes were invented. There was a huge outcry at that time - there will be a huge outcry over 3D printers, too.
Darthbane53
Posted: Tuesday, May 7, 2013 1:54:59 PM

HC Realms ( the heroclix community) has AMAZING success with thoes things. People sculpt their own figures, like nintendo characters and they are perfect.
Gungan Batman Clone
Posted: Tuesday, May 7, 2013 2:56:41 PM

I would be making Mando armor all day long! If I had the money. How long does it take to print something?
qvos
Posted: Wednesday, May 8, 2013 6:30:05 PM

Gungan Batman Clone wrote:
I would be making Mando armor all day long! If I had the money. How long does it take to print something?

Totally agree here! Totally agree! Im not sure how long it takes and how much the material is. Would be cool though!
dreadtech
Posted: Sunday, May 12, 2013 5:30:47 AM

Very expensive, cost of the printer then the cost of doing the parts. Still if I won the big prize on the lottery I would buy it.
Joseph blob
Posted: Sunday, May 12, 2013 8:01:37 AM

How exactly does a 3-D printer work? It sounds like a great way to make customs without butchering my collection, and I'll bet that if we wait at least a few month the price of the printer will go down considerably.
kitfisto10
Posted: Sunday, May 12, 2013 8:19:08 AM

My professor in my Business class talked about this. The one caveat is you need a program that can design your figures, which would probably be expensive. 3D printers either do plastic or metal, but the metal ones are very expensive and are only used by businesses at this point. The plastic ones work by laying down several layers (or slices) of plastic to create your object (like mug, or a small Star Wars figure!)
R5Don4
Posted: Sunday, May 12, 2013 11:28:38 AM

Joseph blob wrote:
How exactly does a 3-D printer work? It sounds like a great way to make customs without butchering my collection, and I'll bet that if we wait at least a few month the price of the printer will go down considerably.

Think about it like an old Dot Matrix Printer that prints out Lego Plates instead of ink. Each pass is another layer added to the last.
qvos
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2013 5:23:38 PM

R5Don4 wrote:
Joseph blob wrote:

Think about it like an old Dot Matrix Printer that prints out Lego Plates instead of ink. Each pass is another layer added to the last.

Ya, really cool. Watched a demo and it did look pretty sweet. !! give it some time... everybody will have one in their offices in fifteen years!
EmporerDragon
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2013 8:27:53 PM

qvos wrote:
give it some time... everybody will have one in their offices in fifteen years!

Especially when you consider the fact that some 3D printers can make 3D printers.
qvos
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2013 3:55:41 AM

EmporerDragon wrote:
qvos wrote:
give it some time... everybody will have one in their offices in fifteen years!

Especially when you consider the fact that some 3D printers can make 3D printers.

Printers Making Printers!!!!!