RegisterDonateLogin

Knows it's a trap!

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Star Wars Huge War Board Game Options
Teller
Posted: Wednesday, May 29, 2013 7:45:52 PM
Groups: Member

Hey everybody! Every summer, me and my friends play a huge board game version of our favorite series. We started off with the base game, Axis and Allies(we modify the rules extremely), and now I really want to do a Star Wars one. Does anybody know how we can play a Star Wars game from any era with at least 12 players?
I was thinking Rise of the Empire, with Republic and Separatists each having 3 players a pop, and some other minor factions like maybe the Hutts? Help me!
Oh, and we try to balance the combat with politics, like a session of Congress or the UN in wartime.
Darthbane53
Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2013 6:29:01 AM

There is a star wars risk but as I understand its WAY different than normal risk
gwek
Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2013 7:27:20 AM

I believe Star Wars Risk is also limited to 2 players (2 players per "side"), and I think the map is relatively small, so 12 players would probably not work.

I know there was a giant boardgame for the Battle of Naboo, but it's pretty limited in scope, and, again, only intended for a few players.

For 12 players, I would envision a massive map of the galaxy, then use a rules-set similar to Axis & Allies or Risk, possibly using Star Wars minis as proxy pieces (although that would require a HUGE map).

I would give each player a "leader" of their army, so, for example, if there are three Sep players, it might be Dooku, Grievous, and Ventress, so there's at least something other than "you're another Sep."

If you wanted to start in the Rise of the Empire era, I could see something like:

Seps (3): Dooku, Grievous, Ventress
Republic (3): Yoda, Obi-Wan, Anakin
Death Watch (1): Pre Vizla
Mandos (1): Duchess Satine
Hutts (1): Jabba
Pirates (1): Hondo Ohnaka

And, y'know, two more, maybe the Chiss Ascendency and/or Maul's criminal cartel.

The conquest part of the game is easy. Not sure how to best factor in negotiations and such.
SignerJ
Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2013 7:53:50 AM

For Rise of the Empire, I'd actually take out the Death Watch and Mando factions, since they weren't really involved in the Clone Wars at all. I'd put in a Black Sun faction, and probably throw in another commander for the Republic instead.
Teller
Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2013 9:41:02 AM

Thanks, I was thinking that we might just build a board. Some cardboard. I like the proxy idea, and it'd be interesting if we made it extremely complex by using SWMs as units. Like Galactic Marines for Ki-Adi-Mundi
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2013 9:53:55 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

What time frame? A summer-long game, or a big game you'll play in one session?

If it's a summer-long game and your friends play SWM, I would set up a huge galactic map, pick an era and give each player a faction. You can easily get multiple factions... 6 would be ideal because then each player can have a partner.

Sith/OR/Mandalorian/Fringe/Criminal (Black Sun Zann)

Play Risk-style on the map, but each battle would be a game of SWM - probably just 50-100pt Tile Wars so each fight isn't too long. On the big map, move around "points" so that when you enter battle, you get to use a squad worth the number of points you have on that planet. Kind of complex, and wayyy too long for a one-night session. Depends on what you're looking for.
Teller
Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2013 10:02:11 AM

It would be a summer game. But I was thi8nking more on the lines of Axis and Allies combat system. With just the miniatures as playing pieces, or I would have to build my own plastic models.