RegisterDonateLogin

Affinity: Your squad may contain Bloo Milk, regardless of faction.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Poll Question : How much did you like the New Trilogy?
Choice Votes Statistics
It was the greatest star wars thing ever! 4 16.000000 %
I liked them 13 52.000000 %
I'm indifferent 4 16.000000 %
I dis-liked them a little 1 4.000000 %
I hated them 1 4.000000 %
Burn them, trash them, then burn them again 2 8.000000 %

How much did you like the New Trilogy? Options
Joseph blob
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2013 12:35:16 PM
Groups: Member

A while back I was talking to an older guy who really loves star wars and he asked me if I has realized just how bad the New Trilogy was. After that, the more I thought about the movies the more holes and dumb things I found in them. There were a few cool characters in them, but unfortunately they were all killed ThumbDown I made this poll for you guys to talk about how much you liked/dis-liked the New Trilogy. Have fun!BlooMilk
Bubba Fett
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2013 12:40:17 PM

Hey it's star wars. Whats not to like about them. But yes there were some cheesy moments but overall it did add a nice back story to the original trigoly. Only one major complaint was Windu's death. That was so lame!
Joseph blob
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2013 12:42:29 PM

Yes, yes it was...but we never saw him die so here's hoping BlooMilk
Prestige Worldwide
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2013 12:54:31 PM

It was definitely a 10/10 for me. I thought the writing was especially well done, and that Lucas really fleshed out Anakin. A superb trilogy.
corranhorn
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2013 12:58:10 PM

Windu was (at one point) an acting Grandmasterof the Jedi who got hit by a bit of lightning (remember Luke get it by lightning in Ep6 and noty croak) and fell out a window into an area with lots of things to grab. I don't think he could realistically be dead. As for the prequel trilogy (I'm not sure how "New" they are), meh. I kinda like Ep1 but it wasn't a good movie and shouldn't have been part of the saga. Ep2 was just bad. Ep3 was pretty good. There were a number of cool characters (Maul, Jango Fett, General Greivious, Windu) but a lot of them were handled poorly.
Darth_Reignir
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2013 1:20:18 PM

Joseph blob wrote:
A while back I was talking to an older guy who really loves star wars and he asked me if I has realized just how bad the New Trilogy was. After that, the more I thought about the movies the more holes and dumb things I found in them. There were a few cool characters in them, but unfortunately they were all killed ThumbDown I made this poll for you guys to talk about how much you liked/dis-liked the New Trilogy. Have fun!BlooMilk

I love the argument against the New trilogy from the older generation because they seem to always contradict themselves. When I was younger, I loved them and couldn't figure out why the older fans did. I watched them a year or so back, and understood why. In the first 3, there aren't any flavorful characters like Han. The Original seemed to be unintentionally cheesy, I thought - and people love that charm and sense of adventure.

The problem is that the first three are pretty blasted cheesy too - but that's not a problem. I always look at the first three as setting up the first for the latter. They're different flavors of Star Wars. So how does one complain about cheesiness when their big draw to the Originals was that cheese?

I understand why the older generation didn't like them, if they went into Episode I expecting to find the same wild adventure they got from IV, V, and VI. But I don't think that that lack of adventure made them bad movies, just different movies.

All of this being said, I did enjoy the first three. I'm not a movie critic and don't claim to be, so I won't comment on the writing/acting. I enjoyed the movie, the characters, the combat, and the story. I was entertained by the films and memorable characters such as Darth Maul, Jango Fett, Qui-gon Jinn, and General Grievous.
Joseph blob
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2013 1:39:12 PM

Darth_Reignir wrote:
Joseph blob wrote:

I love the argument against the New trilogy from the older generation because they seem to always contradict themselves. When I was younger, I loved them and couldn't figure out why the older fans did. I watched them a year or so back, and understood why. In the first 3, there aren't any flavorful characters like Han. The Original seemed to be unintentionally cheesy, I thought - and people love that charm and sense of adventure.

The problem is that the first three are pretty blasted cheesy too - but that's not a problem. I always look at the first three as setting up the first for the latter. They're different flavors of Star Wars. So how does one complain about cheesiness when their big draw to the Originals was that cheese?

I understand why the older generation didn't like them, if they went into Episode I expecting to find the same wild adventure they got from IV, V, and VI. But I don't think that that lack of adventure made them bad movies, just different movies.

All of this being said, I did enjoy the first three. I'm not a movie critic and don't claim to be, so I won't comment on the writing/acting. I enjoyed the movie, the characters, the combat, and the story. I was entertained by the films and memorable characters such as Darth Maul, Jango Fett, Qui-gon Jinn, and General Grievous.

All of which died Glare Or are assumed deadSneaky ...But yes I do think they're fun. Also, what is your definition of "cheesy" corny and dumb? Or old and nostalgic? And can we all agree that making C3-PO Darth Vader's childhood play thing was a bad idea?
Darth_Reignir
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2013 1:43:51 PM

Joseph blob wrote:
Darth_Reignir wrote:
Joseph blob wrote:

All of which died Glare Or are assumed deadSneaky ...But yes I do think they're fun. Also, what is your definition of "cheesy" corny and dumb? Or old and nostalgic? And can we all agree that making C3-PO Darth Vader's childhood play thing was a bad idea?

At the time, I remember thinking C-3P0 being Anakin's was cool, and even now, I don't see much of a problem with it. Of course, I believe Jar Jar Binks was the worst thing to happen in the history of mankind.

Per the cheesy thing, it's hard to properly describe - probably along the lines of corny. And maybe it's because it's easy to forget that episode IV was in the '70s.

The new trilogy is cheesy with regards to some of the acting. They're two different cheesies, for sure though.
corranhorn
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2013 1:44:10 PM

Most of the cool characters from the OT died-pretty much all of them, in fact. Boba Fett died (o later be rev'd but that's not the point, Lucas didn't ev him), Palpy died, Vader died...and there really aren't any more characters that were especially cool, cept Han.
kezzamachine
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2013 2:02:30 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I used to like the I-III more than the IV-VI! I think part of that was my attempt to fly in the face of such negative opinion, but I really did and still do like them! If anyone complains about EpI, I usually say 'sure, but it brought us Darth Maul' and without Maul we wouldn't have a modern version of cool-evil to wave around. Yeah - heaps of flaws, but the original trilogy had all that too (perhaps, just not as much). You just remember them differently. Twenty years is a long time.

Anyhoo, a coupl'a years ago, at the height of my I-III-likey-ness, I saw the scene of Luke at the Sail Barge for the first time since '05 and was struck by just how much I loved the scene - easily my favourite in all movies ever - and realised that, yes I do like the OT more than the PT. Just.
Gungan Batman Clone
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2013 2:08:01 PM

I can see this topic quickly becoming a heated debate, but anyway. I thought that they were good overall, but of course they did have some problems. They revived the Star Wars franchise and gave us things like the Clone Wars to expand into the EU. All of the characters that were created as a result of the movies or other things like Comic Books and Video games wouldn't have been created probably. Also, without the prequels, we would probably not have minisCrying Crying Crying.

Cheers to the prequels for giving us minis!Woot Woot Woot Woot ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp

GBC
corranhorn
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2013 2:16:12 PM

Yeah, I'm very grateful that the prequels were made. Most of the Star Wars stuff I like happened because of them. Minis, the Star Wars legos I loved so much (got into them when I was 8, right when RotS came out and there were some fun sets), Battlefront, probably KotOR, etc.
Joseph blob
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2013 2:24:32 PM

Gungan Batman Clone wrote:
I can see this topic quickly becoming a heated debate, but anyway. I thought that they were good overall, but of course they did have some problems. They revived the Star Wars franchise and gave us things like the Clone Wars to expand into the EU. All of the characters that were created as a result of the movies or other things like Comic Books and Video games wouldn't have been created probably. Also, without the prequels, we would probably not have minisCrying Crying Crying.

Cheers to the prequels for giving us minis!Woot Woot Woot Woot ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp

GBC

Yah that's great but leaving EU and toy stuff aside I was hoping we could look at how the movies were by themselves. Do they make sense without the knowledge of EU books? I was really looking for something where we can look at the movies standing alone. But minis are a nice gift from the prequels. Lol.
Katarn07
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2013 6:27:12 PM

I voted "I hate them."

I chose not to vote the last option because there's a lot of good stuff in the Prequels. There are some cool (albeit underdeveloped) characters, some cool action moments, awesome music, and missed opportunities that could have been much better in another script. I think with different screenwriters, different directors, and more practical effects they could have been great.

If you haven't seen them yet, if you aren't offended by foul language or crude humor, and if you have a few hours to spare I'd suggest watching the reviews by Mr. Plinkett. He sums it all up perfectly and then some! I also had issues with them rewriting the continuity of the Clone Wars as established in the Zahn Trilogy which was written based off notes by Lucas.
obiwan1knight
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2013 6:51:15 PM

Ok, there are some cheesy moments in them, but hey, what movie doesn't have a few cheesy lines? I really enjoy them because hey! They are STAR WARS!!!! They have cool things in them. The only person I didn't like was the the way Hayden Christensen portrayed Anakin during his angry or sad moments. They may have holes, flaws and glaring mistakes, but for the most part they were good, and I enjoy watching them from time to time.

On the topic of the NEW new trilogy (7, 8, 9) I am SOOO excited for them. I've heard that J.J. Abrahms is a bigger Star Wars fan then Star Trek, and if the new Star Trek movie is any indication, I have hope that the new Star Wars movie will be the bestest thing for Star Wars EVER!
countrydude82487
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2013 8:20:00 PM

see for me although i have read the books for all of the Series of movies at least, I still likes them. To me they did do a few things wrong, but they did a pretty good job for the information they wanted to get through to people. Now On the other hand i absolutely hated Haden Christianson's acting in the movies. He and Natalie Portman Obviously had no chemistry and it showed. now i have seen them both in other movies that were fine Separately but i think it was just in these movies. Now that is not the only mistake that was made and by far that doesn't not make the entirety of the Prequels horrible. Just the scenes with these 2 characters, which admittedly is a lot
Joseph blob
Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2013 3:55:57 AM

Darth_Reignir wrote:
Joseph blob wrote:
Darth_Reignir wrote:
Joseph blob wrote:

I believe Jar Jar Binks was the worst thing to happen in the history of mankind.

Should I make a poll for that too? LOL
obiwan1knight
Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2013 4:12:25 AM

Why does everyone hate Jar Jar? I thought he provided some much needed comic relief! Come on guys, admit it, he was funny!
corranhorn
Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2013 4:32:34 AM

obiwan1knight wrote:
Why does everyone hate Jar Jar? I thought he provided some much needed comic relief! Come on guys, admit it, he was funny!

He's funny for small children. Razz
obiwan1knight
Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2013 5:19:19 AM

corranhorn wrote:
obiwan1knight wrote:

He's funny for small children. Razz

Even so, that's not reason enough to paint him as the character that ruined Star Wars is it?